Pipes on Planes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipes on Planes

Post by Ed Harrison »

I know this subject has been up before. I am planning on a trip to Irealnd
and would like to take my pipes, the first of August.

What do I need to know about carrying on my pipes with me in the coach.
I really don't want to put them in the baggage.

Much thanks in advance..... Ed
JoeLynn

Post by JoeLynn »

I just returned from Ireland, flying Continental. I carried my pipes in a Mountain Dulcimer case, which is long enough to hold a half set without removing the end of the bass drone. So, it is longer than normally allowed for carry-on. I was able to carry it on both flights without any hassle and it fit into the overhead bin both times. In Dublin, the man checking me in brought out a tape measure and started to measure it, and another woman came over and told him it would be all right. She said that if it did not fit in the overhead bin, they would put them in a coat closet.
eskin

Post by eskin »

At an industrial surplus store I found a nice case that was for an Olympus endoscope or similar piece of equipment that exactly fits my 3/4 set and fits inside the typical airline sizing box. Cost me all of $10.00 and is very rugged, similar in construction to a hardsided Samsonite suitcase, sometimes you can also get very good deals on Haliburton aluminum cases.
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

I came just back from Ireland ,I have my new fullset in aluminium fiddlecase
(75cmx24cmx12cm) as handbaggage.No probs at all, I didn't have to even open the case at Dublin airport securitypoint.
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

The problem is not Ireland, the issue is if you are going to transit through the #$#%@ :swear: of Heathrow or other airport in England. The security is extremely ratty about the size of hand luggage.

I was flying by British Airways and according to their regulations it was OK to carry my set on board. I was carrying just a practice set at the time, but the case was a bit larger than usual. When I returned, it was fuller and ocupying more volume (with all the things that I bought and packed) and again, in the flight from Ireland it was OK, no prob.

I don't know why the heck when I was going they allowed me to carry it, but when I was returning the :swear: :swear: :swear: staff wouldn't let me carry unless it fit into the minuscule tiny ridiculous standard grid that they have as a model template for the "appropriate" size.

I complained at the company desk, but they said according to their regulations it was OK, that it was a problem of the "airport internal regulations" :swear:

With all this terrorist stuff going around, they are getting overly strict about hand luggage and you run the risk of having to dispatch it at the last moment, like I was obliged to do.

I think I read somewhere about a kind of international treaty that allows musicians to carry their instruments onboard, but I doubt that the staff would cede if someone showed up waving some kind of document at them or trying to explain the situation. I tried to explain and wanted to know why when I was going nobody told me anything and then suddenly this rigorous treatment when I was coming back. There were no buts nor further explanations, the guy simply pointed at the grid : -" Did you hear me? Does it fit it there?"; that is, if it doesn't fit in the damn grid, NO WAY. I got really mad. :x

So, what to do? You can get everything confirmed and reconfirmed, the company told me was OK, I checked at the airport when I was leaving and then this surprise when returning?! So, I would take with a grain of salt if everybody says that it's everything OK. Double check and expect everything, being ready for a plan B :P
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

uilleannfinlander wrote:I didn't have to even open the case at Dublin airport securitypoint.
That's probably the only airport where the Xray guys wouldn't think a set of pipes were anything but. :lol: I'm sure they would look awfully suspicious to an American with no concept of traditional music.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Romulo wrote: I complained at the company desk, but they said according to their regulations it was OK, that it was a problem of the "airport internal regulations" :swear:
I got a similar story from BA back in Feb when I went from London to Dublin.

The ticket counter people insisted I'd be right back to check it, but the security people were very nice and immediately knew what it was and that I was allowed one carry-on bag, plus a musical instrument. (which is what the "airport regulations" are)

Ed, as long as your case fits in the overhead and meets the rules the airline has for size (a sum of all the dimensions of the case <45"). See Delta's website There's more info regarding musical instruments as carry-on:
Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage on Delta operated flights1. These items must easily fit in the overhead compartment or approved stowage location in the cabin, on a space available basis at the time of boarding. If adequate space is not available, the item must be checked.
The most important thing is to take your leatherman or any knives and razors out of the case, also any hand lotion or cream

When I put my pipes on the x-ray machine, I always tell the TSA agent that they are bagpipes. Most of the time, they open them up, look around inside and then check the case for explosives and send me on my way. (they wipe the inside of the case with a little round pad)...so don't store any extra explosives in your case or they will detect them ;-)

The last trip a couple of weeks ago, I flew through Washington National Airport and they didn't even ask me to open the case.

I always try and be friendly and chat with them about the differences between Irish and Scottish pipes (no, I don't have a kilt in there too!). I also offer to take the pipes out of the case as well if they need to look further.

You'll be fine, take the pipes and have a great time!

-g
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

"Enough is enough! I have HAD it with these máthair fecking pipes on this máthair fecking plane!"
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I've flown in and out of England, Ireland, and the US frequently and only once had an issue with the pipes. I was flying from JFK to Amsterdam on Singapore Airlines and discovered they have a rule about not allowing hard cases as carry-ons. After losing an argument with the check-in lady over it, I bought a duffle bag in the airport and carried the pipes on board -- with drones hanging out -- in that and checked the hard case.

However, even flying cheap airlines like Jet2.com from Newcastle to Cork was fine. I made sure the pipes were my only carry-on. I also take a large coat with me, even if the weather's nice (which to be fair it hasn't been in England for months), and if the airlines hassle me, I can always wrap the pipes in the coat and check the case.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

airlines

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

eavery airline has their own case size requirement (very loosely enforced I will add) which is the sum of the length, width, and height. The range is from about 49 inches to about 53. Call the airline to confrim yours. If they pressure you to check the case at the gate. You pressure them right back stating the value and fragility of the contents, and they usually will accomadate you.

Neil
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I haven't run into trouble much, but I think it's more a matter of luck than anything else. The one time I did, I ran with the "squeeky wheel gets the grease" philosophy and ran up the chain of command. Keep asking for the next person's superior. If anyone along the chain was impolite, unkind or snippy be absolutely sure to mention it (get everyone's name). Be calm and kind yourself, never sarcastic or snappy.

In addition: Be absolutely sure to carry the printouts of the regulations that state the airlines are supposed to let you take your instrument in the cabin. They may not be worth much, but every little bit to support your argument will help. Carry them (always) in your pipe case.

If you get to the highest level, explain to them in detail that your pipes are worth X amount, would take years to replace and that you'd be happy to check them under the airplane when they provide you with a piece of paper taking personal and financial responsibility for replacing the pipes should they be damaged in any way or lost.

If possible, carry a soft case inside your hard case. Under the worst circumstance you can then dismantle your pipes to a size that will fit inside the soft case and if need be send only your bag (and maybe bellows) underneath.

The extreme temperature changes underneath in a non-climate controlled section of the airplane are *hard* on wooden instruments. I know of at least 3 instruments (none of them UP) of friends that have split under the extreme temperature change. Avoid at all costs!

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
sturob

Post by sturob »

The other thing to remember, by way of keeping your sanity, is that none of these rules/regulations guarantee that you can get your pipes on board. All they can do is say that you can get an instrument through a security checkpoint.

Local airport security (at the first hurdle) and the airline itself have the final say and can refuse to allow anyone to bring anything on board, including Stradivari or Taylors. And even if an airline has a policy of allowing an instrument in the cabin as a carry-on, the pilot is still within his/her rights to forbid an item from coming on board.

Stuart

And believe me, I'm OK with that. The last thing anyone wants is a way to guarantee that something can get on a plane.
carel

Post by carel »

You can also offer to play the pipes
Likely they will let you pass right away

edited the remove :lol:
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Be careful if some of your journey includes a commuter flight on a puddle-jumpin, crop-dustin, dry-rotten, Buddy Holly Special Airplane. WHile they might fit on a bigger Jet, MD80, 737, etc. Not always the case ln the small airplane

Be sure to download the original TSA bulletiin between them and the msuscian's union. It's in the archives I think.

TImmy
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

Thanks for all your replies. It has given me some good ideas.
Now to make it all happen.

............... Ed