Tis Me Thread

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Wannabe-Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Hey Maddes!

Ive got the same practise set! Rogge Polycatel! Just wanted to ask if that is a bagcover you have for your bag( my bag is standard black, yours is green) or is that how you got the set?
Maddes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Maddes »

Wannabe-Piper wrote:Hey Maddes!

Ive got the same practise set! Rogge Polycatel! Just wanted to ask if that is a bagcover you have for your bag( my bag is standard black, yours is green) or is that how you got the set?
This is how I got it.. bought it from a friend of mine a week ago when he got his Full Set by Andreas..

Before that, I had an older practise set with a wooden chanter, lent to me by the German Uilleann Pipes Society, which had a standard black bag also.. I don't know if Andreas manufactured the older polyacetal sets (it's like 5 years old now) with green bags or if it's a bag cover, but I'll ask the friend I bought it from if you want to know ;)

Cheers
Maddes
Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Nah just wondering, thanks.

Some set, isent it!
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

This is me at the Willie week in 1988. I sitting on a chair with the grey jumper and the black jeans holding a tape recorder, kinda between Deirdre Leech and Billy Browne

This is more recent. I'm the one on the end with the pipes...

Tommy
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

tompipes wrote:This is me at the Willie week in 1988. I sitting on a chair with the grey jumper and the black jeans holding a tape recorder, kinda between Deirdre Leech and Billy Browne

This is more recent. I'm the one on the end with the pipes...

Tommy
Is that Tom Kearney in the first pic? What set is he playing?

Neil
Last edited by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Looks like Tommy Kearney to me. Doesn't he play a Leo Rowsome set?

Here's a photo of Jimmy O'Brien-Moran playing the same set (courtesy of uilleannobsession):

PJ
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Name: Channing Dodson
Username: The Sporting Pitchfork
Occupation: teacher of English as a second/foreign language; perpetual graduate student; patron saint of television among certain Candomblé communities in Brazil.
Interests: uilleann piping, flute playing, Scottish piping, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic, Irish, phonetics, historical linguistics, experimental cooking, language maintenance & revitalization, full-contact origami.
No E

Post by No E »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote: Interests: uilleann piping, flute playing, Scottish piping, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic, Irish, phonetics, historical linguistics, experimental cooking, language maintenance & revitalization, full-contact origami.[/b]
You left out lucha libre!

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
mukade

Re: Tis Me Thread

Post by mukade »

Uilliam wrote:F
NAME:Uilliam hAicéad in Gaelidhge
translated in English for MI5 CIA etc as Liam Hackett

Uilliam
Hackett!
Hell's bellows!
We all thought you were a 'celt' and it turns out yer a feckin Norman.
:wink:

Mukade
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Hey PJ, we always see your posts but don't know you from Adam. How about a shot with your set?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's one of me on page 1 of this thread, about half way down.

Now if you're looking for more private photos ...
PJ
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

mukade wrote:
Uilliam wrote:F
NAME:Uilliam hAicéad in Gaelidhge
translated in English for MI5 CIA etc as Liam Hackett

Uilliam
Hackett!
Hell's bellows!
We all thought you were a 'celt' and it turns out yer a feckin Norman.
:wink:

Mukade

yep thats right they came frae Harcourt in Normandy wi William the Conqueror in 1066 and got right pissed aff wi the English so William de Haket went to Cashel in Tipperary in 1172 and founded the Franciscan Friary there in between a bit of rapine and pillage.

The effigies shown here are two of four which are preserved in Cashel, now set into the old town walls adjacent to the Church of Ireland Cathedral. Originally in the Franciscan Friary, they may be the burial slabs of the benefactor Sir William Hackett and of his wife and family.

ImageImage

I can trace my lineage directly back to him.Thanks to some research done by the Royal College of Arms.My mothers family are more Gaelic ,MacAdaimh(Adamson) frae Inverneshire they got pissed aff wi being harassed for being Calvinists so went to Athlone in 1638 and stayed there since.My GUncle George was Brigadier General wi the free State Army after a very active career wi the IRA in the Tan War.There is a memorial to him in Athlone and Athlone Castle was renamed after him.He was one of the 1st killed in the war of independance in 1922.My Grandad Willie(Pepper) formed the famous Moate Ceilidhe Band.
Which just goes to shew ye that there is no such thing as a "Celt".Celtic being a language common to many different tribes and long before any such thing as nationality was conceived.No one thought of themselves as Celt or Celtic...The peoples of Ireland are a real admix of Gael, Viking, Norman, English high and low born (Cromwell left a lot of his soldiers to settle..indeed most of the Arran islanders can claim ancestry back to Cromwells soldiers) Scots and on and on ad infinitum.Trade between Ireland and continental Europe and Scandinavia was brisk.I think there would be very few who could claim to be pure Irish simply because there is no such thing.no surprises there... :wink:

And this is the auld biddy down the street.Havnae clue who she is but she is probably related.It was a small gene pool.
:wink: Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Last edited by Uilliam on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
oliver

Post by oliver »

Uilliam wrote: Which just goes to shew ye that there is no such thing as a "Celt".Celtic being a language common to many different tribes and long before any such thing as nationality was conceived.No one thought of themselves as Celt or Celtic...
Funny how words exist to define something that doesn't...
No one thought of themselves as Celt because linguistics didn't exist at that time, that was just ignorance...
PJ

Post by PJ »

Uilliam wrote:Which just goes to shew ye that there is no such thing as a "Celt".Celtic being a language common to many different tribes and long before any such thing as nationality was conceived.No one thought of themselves as Celt or Celtic...The peoples of Ireland are a real admix of Gael, Viking, Norman, English high and low born (Cromwell left a lot of his soldiers to settle..indeed most of the Arran islanders can claim ancestry back to Cromwells soldiers) Scots and on and on ad infinitum.Trade between Ireland and continental Europe and Scandinavia was brisk.I think there would be very few who could claim to be pure Irish simply because there is no such thing.no surprises there... :wink:
Here's an interesting articleon the Irish Celt question.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The peoples of Ireland are a real admix of Gael, Viking, Norman, English high and low born (Cromwell left a lot of his soldiers to settle..indeed most of the Arran islanders can claim ancestry back to Cromwells soldiers) Scots and on and on ad infinitum.
And don't forget The Basques:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1256894.stm

Most of what we think of as Celts were really Basques!

T