Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How will you read HP 7?

I won't
35%
I will buy the book eventually -- no big hurry
16%
I will buy the book at Friday midnight and read nonstop
19%
I will read over several days
26%
I will read it aloud with / to children
4%
I will skip ahead and read the last chapter first
No votes

Total votes: 57

FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My most correct answer is that my wife will read it first and I will wait my turn. If my daughter wasn't at camp, I'd be third.

I only hope I don't hear/read a spoiler before I finish it. I plan on installing a Cone of Silence in my house and auto.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Caroluna wrote:Maybe one more book... :lol:
that's the way he writes, innit!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I will buy the book at Friday midnight:01 and read nonstop, with and to at least one child. (quiver) She reads first, as I'll be driving.

Oh... and I suspect hubbydearest will find some reason to be hanging around... he doesn't read them... but he does tend to listen while they're being read, and he does eventually succumb to going to see them... in the theatre... No... he's not an HP fan... noooo.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

anniemcu wrote:No... he's not an HP fan... noooo.
Sometimes you have to keep the pulse of what's going on around you. Your husband sounds like an astute observer. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I finally figured out what HP7 meant :lol: . I read the first Harry Potter and I think I did like it, and parts of it quite a bit, but I never got around to the second one. I know I didn't really like that first movie---I almost dozed off in it. BUT, I think it is extremely thrilling that kids and grown-ups are all excited about a book. What a wonderful thing! Having parties, going crazy, who cares what book it's about, people are reading!!!! Yay!!!! If I had children I would try to help them get the book as soon as possible or go to crazy parties----anything that keeps people away from TV a bit. My husband just told me that the little bookstore in our town will be open at midnight to sell that book---neat!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cass

Post by Cass »

gonzo914 wrote:
Since you're in the UK, you are five to eight hours ahead of us in the US. You could get your copy, open it to the last chapter, check out who dies, and then post it here so I don't have to stay up until midnight. Then I could sleep in on Saturday and amble over to the bookstore at my leisure.

(And if you were really a :devil: , that's exactly what you would do.)

Naaaa!! Gonna keep you all in suspense!!! :D

Cass.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My wife tells me that it spoils a book for her if someone tells her the ending. It doesn't spoil it for me. Getting there is half the fun. If the getting there isn't fun, THAT spoils it. She's the one that reads books in random order. I'm the one that starts at page one and reads to the end.

Recently she left me a copy of Isabelle Allende's Paula. Since the narrative skips about like a drunken hopscotch player, I can't imagine what she made of that one.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
missy

Post by missy »

Noah has a copy on hold, but he's at his dad's this weekend. I guess I'll have to go and get my own copy!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Good, I'm going to need some suggestions for life AHP (After Harry Potter).
Try Susan Cooper's excellent "The Dark Is Rising" sequence of five books...they are oustanding.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

My wife and I will be in line at midnight to get our copy, and then we will proceed to fight tooth and nail over who gets first dibs at it. And I think she has the better argument since I'll be tied up with groomsman duties all day Saturday. :(
Oh yeah, I fully recommend The Golden Compass and it's 2 sequels to anyone looking for something to follow up HP. WIth one caveat: those books become very anti- organized religion as the story progresses, so you might as well skip them if you think that'll offend you. They're called by some the "anti-Narnia."
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

i like the series, and so do the children. so i will be at walmart and midnight like i was 2 years ago again. it is a good way to make the summer days go by faster when it rains.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

peeplj wrote:
Good, I'm going to need some suggestions for life AHP (After Harry Potter).
Try Susan Cooper's excellent "The Dark Is Rising" sequence of five books...they are oustanding.

--James
I'll second "The Dark Is Rising". Excellent sequence of books full of English and Welsh folklore. I read them in sixth grade and just loved them.

I'll wait until my boyfriend gets done with his copy, then I'll nick his for awhile. I don't want to buy the hardback since the rest of my HP books are paperback. Must have uniformity in the bookcase. :boggle:
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Never read a Harry Potter book and never will.

The nice thing about a cultural phenomenon is that one can participate while skipping the books. We don’t have kids so it didn’t come up when the series began. My wife read a couple and we’ve bought a couple of the movies. Now everyone knows about Harry Potter. My theory on the end is based on Keith Olberman’s analysis a few weeks back. It’s stood up in discussions with co-workers, who read every book with their kids. Last weekend it was the basis of a long conversation with a child psychologist friend, who had a patient years ago who referred to everyone as muggles. She got hooked and has read them all. She says each is darker and longer than the one before. Great stuff.

Sadly for all of you who read the books, I suspect the fate of the players will everywhere in the media and on the net by the time I get up Saturday morning.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else read Cormac McCarthy’s The Road? If there’s interest someone should start a thread or I may.
djm

Post by djm »

Does it have Muggles? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Never read a Harry Potter book and never will.

The nice thing about a cultural phenomenon is that one can participate while skipping the books. We don’t have kids so it didn’t come up when the series began. My wife read a couple and we’ve bought a couple of the movies. Now everyone knows about Harry Potter. My theory on the end is based on Keith Olberman’s analysis a few weeks back. It’s stood up in discussions with co-workers, who read every book with their kids. Last weekend it was the basis of a long conversation with a child psychologist friend, who had a patient years ago who referred to everyone as muggles. She got hooked and has read them all. She says each is darker and longer than the one before. Great stuff.

Sadly for all of you who read the books, I suspect the fate of the players will everywhere in the media and on the net by the time I get up Saturday morning.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else read Cormac McCarthy’s The Road? If there’s interest someone should start a thread or I may.