Can Anyone Else Smell The Deathly Hallows? :o

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How will you read HP 7?

I won't
35%
I will buy the book eventually -- no big hurry
16%
I will buy the book at Friday midnight and read nonstop
19%
I will read over several days
26%
I will read it aloud with / to children
4%
I will skip ahead and read the last chapter first
No votes

Total votes: 57

izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Cass wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:
You're welcome to borrow my hazel besom, Cass. It knows its own way home.
"Accio Innocent Bystander's broom"!

Cass :D
Did it work??? :o Maybe if I say "Accio Harry Potter 7" I can get a copy NOW!!! :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Of course it worked....the broom is standing next to me as I write!!! :lol:

I'd give it a go...you can but try. I'm going to try to summon a nice new 8 key flute next! :D

Cass.
djm

Post by djm »

:really: It didn't work for me. It's not easy being a muggle, you know (or a squib). :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

We're going to one of the Firday-night bookstore parties in Little Rock...plus, we have a copy being delivered from Amazon.com as a backup.

I have spent the last several months trying to figure it all out from the clues in the first 6 books.

I'm very curious to see if what I suspect hits anywhere close to the mark.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

I ordered it from Amazon as a late birthday present for my daughter. I think we'll take turns with it.
Charlene
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Our copy from Amazon should show up on Saturday. My wife gets it first. ('Cause she said so, that's why. I know my place.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cass wrote:....you're all gonna think I'm really sad now, but a friend is opening her bookshop 11pm this Friday, and they're having a HP themed party! The shop is in a tiny village, and a number of shops are opening late for the book launch...they're supposed to be turning the little street into "Diagon Alley".
....and I've got THE best witchy dress( very tasteful and long, in velvet) ...just got to find my broomstick....I know I left it somewhere....

Cass. :devil:
Since you're in the UK, you are five to eight hours ahead of us in the US. You could get your copy, open it to the last chapter, check out who dies, and then post it here so I don't have to stay up until midnight. Then I could sleep in on Saturday and amble over to the bookstore at my leisure.

(And if you were really a :devil: , that's exactly what you would do.)

-- gonzo "Rosebud was his sled" 914
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

peeplj wrote:
I have spent the last several months trying to figure it all out from the clues in the first 6 books.

I'm very curious to see if what I suspect hits anywhere close to the mark.

--James
I think one of the most enjoyable things about the books for me has been that I've been forced to wait between books and think / ponder / make guesses (instead of just going directly to the end). "Judging by what I know about this character, what is he / she going to do next?"

Several of my friends are very absorbed in the series as well and it's been fun to hear their theories. "Nah! You're crazy! That can't be right, because..." Maybe best of all is to hear a group of kids and adults discussing it as peers. Kevin's guesses might be more on the mark than mine!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

djm wrote::really: It didn't work for me.
You're not pronouncing it right. :wink:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

You left out choices: I'll borrow it from a friend someday...
or...
I'll get it from the local library someday...

I wouldn't buy it but I'll undoubtedly read it...someday.

Susan
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

The first two Harry Potter books were . . .ok. The third caught my interest, the forth was truly engaging. Then Rowling lost my interest with "Order of the Phoenix." By the fifth book, she had become a good writer . . . and she shone in the first chapter. But when she started to introduce her army of new characters, I said "Oh, there she goes again, trying to impress us with all her new made up wizard words and worlds. Just when she grounds me in how the world of Harry Potter relates to the real world, she drags us out of it . . . again!" Book five was way too long, way too depressing, had far too many chapters that really didn't move the story along(does any editor dare to edit JK books?). I have thought about reading the sixth book, but haven't gotten around to it. As for the seventh . . . not right now. Not for awhile. I'm looking forward to seeing "Order of the Phoenix" movie, as the books get the much needed editing they deserve! The last two movies were really enjoyable.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

mamakash wrote:But when she started to introduce her army of new characters, I said "Oh, there she goes again, trying to impress us with all her new made up wizard words and worlds...
Impress? At worst she is indulging herself and/or the readers' escapism.

Here's a tip: don't read Tolkien.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Stephen R Donaldson tends to run on a bit... :lol:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cranberry wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I have no idea what this is all about, so I imagine I won't read/watch it, either.
HP 7 means Harry Potter 7. I know that only because I always get Harry Potter's initials mixed up with my own.
When I first saw it I read HPL and wondered why all of a sudden someone had a poll on HP Lovecraft. How would I read him? Probably start with The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath, a few short stories ("The Strange high house in the mist" and "In the walls of Eryx" stand out), then At the Mountains of Madness, since they recently discovered (fossilized) giant penguins in the Antarctic.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

chas wrote: When I first saw it I read HPL and wondered why all of a sudden someone had a poll on HP Lovecraft. How would I read him? Probably start with The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath, a few short stories ("The Strange high house in the mist" and "In the walls of Eryx" stand out), then At the Mountains of Madness, since they recently discovered (fossilized) giant penguins in the Antarctic.
emmline wrote: A few years ago I started out reading the Golden Compass trilogy to my 2 younger kids. Well...I soon moved ahead, reading later at night, and ended up reading it twice--once to me, once more to the kids.
Good, I'm going to need some suggestions for life AHP (After Harry Potter).
Denny wrote: Stephen R Donaldson tends to run on a bit... :lol:
Nope, no more from him, no way, no sir. I'd rather stick bamboo under my fingernails.:P ....Wait....but did Thomas Covenant really come back from the dead?!?!? :boggle:

Maybe one more book... :lol: