Everything I need to know in life I learned from Ferris...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Everything I need to know in life I learned from Ferris...

Post by Tyler »

Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the secret to life.
There are quite a few documents out there that claim to be guides for a virtuous and productive life from the Bible, to the Koran, Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and, of course, Big Tony Robbins's Unleash the Giant Within.

Recently, however, while watching my all time favourite movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, it dawned on me that everything you need to know about life is contained in the 102 minute running time of this '80s classic.

As the school secretary points out, "the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore Ferris. They think he's a righteous dude," and I'd have to agree.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Latitudinarian? :boggle: I had to look that one up:

lat·i·tu·di·nar·i·an (lāt'ĭ-tōōd'n-âr'ē-ən, -tyōōd'-) Pronunciation Key
adj. Holding or expressing broad or tolerant views, especially in religious matters.

Yeah, I guess Ferris is a latitude dude.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

crookedtune wrote:Yeah, I guess Ferris is a latitude dude.
But the guy who wrote the article is in Oz, so does that make him a lower latitude, aka lude? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Ferris Bueller wrote:Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
I love Ferris :love: That's most definitely one of my most favorite movies of all time.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I did not like Ferris- he lost me when they trashed the car. To this day, I don't watch it because of that- too disturbing. :evil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

cowtime wrote:I did not like Ferris- he lost me when they trashed the car. To this day, I don't watch it because of that- too disturbing. :evil:
That's one of my favorite scenes: "You killed the car." :D
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Everything I need to know in life I learned from Ferris.

Post by s1m0n »

... "the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids,...
Wastoids, shurely.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I thought this was going to be about comparing life with a Ferris wheel. Ups and downs and all.

Never mind...
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I was thinking of the small town in northern Tx.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:
cowtime wrote:I did not like Ferris- he lost me when they trashed the car. To this day, I don't watch it because of that- too disturbing. :evil:
That's one of my favorite scenes: "You killed the car." :D
Or the part where they're trying to get into the fancy schmacy restaurant and the Maitre D' tells them to leave before he has to get snooty. I tell the kids that one all of the time when they're in the kitchen while I'm trying to cook :lol:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

danke shoen is the best part of the movie. period.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

That's funny Cowtime! I had the same reaction.
It kind of took Ferris from cool rebel, to someone who was totally disrespectful of his friend and what he'd have to deal with.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

emmline wrote:
It kind of took Ferris from cool rebel, to someone who was totally disrespectful of his friend and what he'd have to deal with.
I view outcome of the "killed the car" scene as Cameron (the buddy) finally deciding to take control of his own life rather than living in fear of his father. And I didn't get that "disrespectful" vibe from Ferris at all. Just goes to show that different people can have completely different interpretations of the same scene. :)

(And are we actually having a serious discussion about Ferris Bueller? :boggle: )
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:(And are we actually having a serious discussion about Ferris Bueller? :boggle: )
Good grief, Slood....this is the PUB. Do you really have to ask such a question? :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

jsluder wrote:
emmline wrote:
I view outcome of the "killed the car" scene as Cameron (the buddy) finally deciding to take control of his own life rather than living in fear of his father. And I didn't get that "disrespectful" vibe from Ferris at all. Just goes to show that different people can have completely different interpretations of the same scene. :)

(And are we actually having a serious discussion about Ferris Bueller? :boggle: )
Yes. We are.
I can see that the final outcome, for Cameron, is a positive one, but I get so hung up in the trauma he's experiencing as Ferris trashes the car, that I couldn't recover sufficiently to appreciate the end.

I am also traumatized by animals-in-distress films even if I know they'll come out ok. So I won't watch them.