Where/when do you practice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where/when do you practice

Post by sbhikes »

When/where do you practice? Do you have a practice routine?
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

I practice flute:
Here, there, pretty much anywhere!
In a house
With a mouse.
In a box.
With a fox.
Up a tree.
In a car.
In the rain.
In a park.
On a train.
In the dark.
With a goat.
On a boat.
So, I hope you see, my dearest Diane,
That I practice the flute no matter where I am!
Check out: Folding@Home!
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

before work, at work, and after work.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
eilam

Post by eilam »

five minute thingies all through the day, especially when i'm learning a new tune.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

Anytime my girlfriend isn't home! Or when I'm busking.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

Tweeto, Dr Seuss would have been proud of you!! :D

As for myself, practice in the living room.......do some warm up exercises here and there like rolls, cuts, tone........most of the times my fingers are too impatient to start playing tunes right away.
Play for at least an hour and a half if I can, mostly after dinner but when I get a chance I fit another hour in earlier in the day.
Then I go through all the tune sets I know and after that I work on one or two new ones to learn.
Swap flutes halfway practicing from D to Eb or Bb most of the time for more fun :)

Berti
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

From 1/2 to 1 hour (if lucky) Daily (if lucky). More at weekends (if lucky). No warming up or exercise routine (very bad.)

I use to play at the furthest room of the house, all doors closed. Neighbours shouldn't listen much (...if lucky :lol: )

Some weekends I drop by a friend's bar at an awkward time just opened about 11:00 AM while they tidy up and get ready for the first customers. Very nice moments to try things, concentrate on tone, rythm and play oddities that I fancy with a light touch of reponsibility. Very good acoustics. I truly enjoy those moments.

Rgds
Rafa
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I practice in various places. In the living room, in the dining room, in the kitchen, or if I'm learning a new tune from something I recorded digitally, I sit at the computer.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

eilam wrote:five minute thingies all through the day, especially when i'm learning a new tune.
This is very close to what I do....its like snacking through out the day.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I've been looking for a place to practice during lunch. There are a couple of underpasses nearby and there's a park bench in a little park. So far there have been some people there (taking walks and bike rides) and I haven't had the courage. I think the park would work well but someone was napping there today.

What about a routine. Sounds like most people just fire up some tunes, no little exercises or anything like that. I keep thinking I should have a routine of exercises to do sometimes.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Cork

Post by Cork »

sbhikes wrote:...I think the park would work well...
Seems like a good plan, but try thinking of yourself as an ordinary part of the landscape, that people commonly use parks to walk, to jog, to ride bicycles, to sit on benches, to feed the birds and the squirrels, and to play flutes, all the usual activities.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

We have a small room at one end of the house that houses our instruments, which we call the music room. Mostly there, but lately, our 6-year-old has been asking me to play in the living room, which is right beneath her bedroom, after she goes to bed.

Lately I've been lucky to get a few tunes in per day. I think things are settling down now, so I hope to be getting half an hour after work and about the same before bedtime, and a couple of hours each on Saturday and Sunday.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Anywhere. Tonight, in the park while my wife runs laps.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain