Oh. My. Heck. It's H-O-T!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Cranberry - and anyone else who's hot - do you have one of those "neck coolers"? I'm talking about those cloth neckbands that you soak in water until they plump up, then put around your neck. As the water evaporates, it helps cool you off.

You can buy them at most craft fairs or they are really easy to make. All you need is a piece of material long enough to go around your neck, allowing for "tails" to tie it with, and polymer crystals to put inside. One brand of crystals is called "Soil Moist", there are others that work also. They are sold in garden centers to put in your flowerpots so you don't have to water as often. You cut a piece of material about 4" wide, sew it (right sides together) along the long edge to make a tube, turn it right side out, sew one end, decide where you want the tie to start and sew across (so the gel inside won't go clear to the end), put about 1 tsp. of the crystals inside, sew the other end to make the other tie, sew up the last end, and soak it in water until the center plumps up.

ImageImage
Charlene
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote: I can't fail to notice that no one has offered to have central air conditioning installed in my home.

Susan
If I weren't already hosting out-of-town visitors at our house, I'd invite you to visit and partake of our central AC, cold beer, etc. :P :D :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

It's hot and humid in the Midwest, but then it's always hot and humid in the Midwest (and in the South, too) from mid-June to the start of September. The heat makes my anal fissures seep, and I'm pretty sure it has affected my sperm count, as well. The humidity, of course, just encourages mosquito breeding, and I think my dengue fever is returning. Last week, I was coughing up blood due to antibiotic resistant TB that I think I caught on an airplane from that guy, and my toenail fungus is so bad I can hardly walk from my air conditioned apartment to my air conditioned car without having to stop and scrape my nails out. I also have a bad case of heat-induced Munchausen's, which must be pretty rare because my doctor says I am a case and quite a piece of work.

And on top of all that, the antihistimines and decongestants I'm taking for summer allergies have caused my prostate to swell up to the size of a small navel orange, and I haven't had a good pee since the last frost.

But you don't hear me complaining, do you? No you don't, because I'm a brave little trooper.
Last edited by gonzo914 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, let's hear Cberry out-whine a master. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Charlene wrote:Cranberry - and anyone else who's hot - do you have one of those "neck coolers"? I'm talking about those cloth neckbands that you soak in water until they plump up, then put around your neck. As the water evaporates, it helps cool you off.
Those things are more effective wraped around your beer to keep it cold! :P

Ya, it's been hot in Salt Lake but I don't think it has been unusually hot for this time of year. The fires have not helped things, to say the least, and I agrere, we need a good thunderstorm to drop some precip. On the good side count your blessings, Susan, if you were anywhere with 90% humidity you would realize how nice it is here when the sun goes down and the temperature actually drops. Places that are both hot and humid just don't get any better at night, so you pretty much need AC 24/7 and then you are trapped in doors all the time. I really like the nights in Salt Lake this time of year, it is pleasant beer drinking weather and we don't have to contend with the plagues of biting insects like many other places :wink: And the dry weather means your chips stay tasty and crisp for a long time (probably longer than they is good for them or you :P ).

As far as AC goes, I much prefer the swamp cooler. The pipes like the little bit of extra humidity :) - actually the pipes have been loving the weather recently, so maybe I have finally figured out how to make good reeds for once!

Have you ventured forth into the mountains for relief? Mill Ceek canyon is a nice cool place to retreat to and have a pick-nick along the stream. Some nice spots to sit down and play the whistle. I was biking in upper Mill Creek Saturday evening and I had to put on my long sleeve shirt when the sun dipped low - it actually felt chilly heading down hill. I wish I could afford a place up in the mountains for the summer months.

Keep cool, fall will be here soon, and with it nice weather indeed!

John
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I was in St. Petersburg Fl on business last week. It was 98F/98%. I wrote our esteemed moderator, Mr. Smith about living down there. How? Better yet, Why!

Everyone looked over baked; I wonder what the % of skin cancer occurs down in South Fl.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Gonzo, You are indeed a brave little trooper.

I am sorry (in more ways than one) to hear about your seeping anal fissures. Maybe try a bit of blue tack. I would normally suggest that you have an assistant spray your undercarriage with rubbing alcohol, but I some how get the impression that you might enjoy this a tad too much for your own good :P

Mind the toenail fungus, with the kind of heat/humidity it can spread over you entire body overnight! I suggest that you set your alarm to go off every 2 hr so you can keep it in check. You may need to dowse yourself regularly with a combination of bleach and pouporri, the fungus does not like either. Otherwise you may wake up resembling a large smelly roquefort cheese, then again that might actually keep the black flies at bay...

Good luck!

John
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:But you don't hear me complaining, do you?
What are you doing now? ;)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:But you don't hear me complaining, do you?
What are you doing now? ;)
nay...ya can not hear him can ya :lol:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

If it wasn't for the heat it would put out, I'd burn a candle for Gonzo.

I have a swamp cooler and a one-room refrigerant type unit in my living room, but they're not effective after it goes above 90. That's because I live in a mobile home which is akin to living in an Easy Bake oven in the summer. With both of them going full blast, it still gets up to about 86 degrees in my house at 5:00 p.m.

I eat lots of Popsicles, drink copious amount of icy cold water, and pray for rain. Haven't been up into the canyons yet this year for various reasons. I don't sit outside after dark for fear of West Nile.

I think I just need to move north. Any room in Canada?

Susan
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

102? HOT??? Try 112, 115, 118... 102 is WARM. I'm quite certain is hasn't been 102 or below for the past 2 months at the least... And we haven't have a great rain in Phoenix since MARCH. Cry me a river... :lol:
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Lots of room in Canada Susan and more than enough water to do all the watercolours you could dream of.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
djm

Post by djm »

You'd have to take care where you landed. Its nearly as hot in the praries and mountains here as there, but cooler on either coast. I guess it depends on what you like and can afford.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

For everyone complaining of the heat, I suggest trying what this person did:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/sports ... wimmer.itn

It might offer some relief from the heat.

Casey
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

gonzo914 wrote: And on top of all that, the antihistimines and decongestants I'm taking for summer allergies have caused my prostate to swell up to the size of a small navel orange, and I haven't had a good pee since the last frost.

But you don't hear me complaining, do you? No you don't, because I'm a brave little trooper.
For the prostate just take a rag soaked in Witch Hazel and gently insert into the rectum. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes. You could also make a catheter out of some old slingshot tubing and a Glad Sandwich Bag. Use a coat hanger to help get it "up there".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm