what did everyone do this weekend?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

I like possums. I raised 4 orphans once, then released them when they were old enough to fend for themselves. But then, my grandma read to me from this book when I was a young'un. It was one of my favorites and I still have it, only mine is from the 1920s so it's not in color like this one. But this picture is one of the originals-(uncle billy was a scoundrel, here he's gotten in the hen house and is suckin' an egg)

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I like possums! They're cute, and a lot more pleasant to have around than raccoons!

We didn't do much this weekend, as we're getting ready to go on vacation next weekend.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Just got home from the NASCAR races in Joliet, IL. Gorgeous weather, not too hot thank God, and good times with some of my family. And I didn't get sunburned!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

I took seven new kayakers down the river yesterday on their first long journey, from Lake St.Clair to Amherstuburg. Throwing in water rescues, wet exits, followed by single unassisted recoveries. They now have sore backs, stiff legs and aching shoulders but it was a lot of fun.

On Saturday, I bought a used student grade Clarinet, it needs some work but looking forward to giving it a try.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I went to the Great Offley Motorcycle Show on Saturday, and the Hitchin 'Rhythms of the World' music festival on Sunday.

Video of some of the bands is up at www.kingswalden.com

Rain held off mostly, but it was pretty hot - especially Sunday.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I got to hang sheetrock in a house my father's remodeling. That was about the highlight of my weekend.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

hathair_bláth wrote:I got to hang sheetrock in a house my father's remodeling...
Eh?
missy

Post by missy »

buddhu wrote:
hathair_bláth wrote:I got to hang sheetrock in a house my father's remodeling...
Eh?
drywall?

what are prefabricated wall panels called over there? Instead of plaster that's applied to lathe or wire?
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

Pressed boards or panels of gypsum pressed between an outer heavy paper. Used as a base for interior walls on a wood-studded wall. May be painted, or act as a base for a skim-coat of plaster, then paint.

Since England doesn't often use wood-stud construction (so I am told) they may be less likely to use sheetrock (aka gyprock) in house construction.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sounds like plasterboard to me... :D
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

djm wrote:...Since England doesn't often use wood-stud construction (so I am told) they may be less likely to use sheetrock (aka gyprock) in house construction.

djm
It's not that uncommon in internal walls in houses built in the last... I dunno... 30 years maybe (possibly much longer - I'm not a builder). Older houses would have brick or breeze/cinder block internal walls.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Re: what did everyone do this weekend?

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cranberry wrote:I went to the ER. I'm sick. I'm leaving the state of Kentucky for a while in a couple days, so I'll have to wait to have surgery on my throat until later next month, probably aroudn the time classes start back. So most people will be walking around with new books and backpacks and beautiful clothes, and I'll have a big white bandage on my throat. It already makes me laugh. It's not life-threatening, thank God.
Caroluna wrote:(I really need to get that wildlife rehab licence).
Yes, you do! It's illegal to rehab without a liscence, but..uh...I've done it for years. It's one of those laws that people don't enforce, I've found.

For example, it's illegal to have a crow as a pet, but it's PERFECTLY LEGAL to shoot them down dead. However, the authorities I know who can enforce the law (well, the authority, since she's just one woman) don't enforce it because of the apparent nonsensicalness.
Where are you going? Anywhere is pretty hot and nasty except Michigan. You could come to Michigan. Just drop me a line and I'll figure out the logistics.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm going to...WV. I already agreed to before we realized I was sicker than I thought. I'm coming back to KY, though. I'm having my throat surgery here, maybe Lexington.

My aunt and uncle used to live in Redford (now they live in Howell). I like Michigan. When I ever come up there again (I haven't been in years), I'll tell you. :)
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

buddhu wrote:
Eh?
Sheetrock, drywall, gypsum board....those are all the names I can think of for it. It's the white board (though sometimes a different type that is green in moist rooms like bathrooms) with white powdery stuff in the middle pressed between two thick pieces of paper.

Hanging it isn't too bad, but after several hours of holding a drill your arms start to get a little sore!
djm wrote:Since England doesn't often use wood-stud construction (so I am told) they may be less likely to use sheetrock (aka gyprock) in house construction.
Then what do they use? Steel studs? Cinderblock?
djm

Post by djm »

hathair_bláth wrote:Then what do they use? Steel studs? Cinderblock?
buddhu wrote:It's not that uncommon in internal walls in houses built in the last... I dunno... 30 years maybe (possibly much longer - I'm not a builder). Older houses would have brick or breeze/cinder block internal walls.
A tv program I watched on Ireland showed they were still making the homes out of poured concrete (all walls, inside and out), saying that wood has traditionally been too expensive. That struck me as odd, because here, it is concrete that is considered too expensive. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.