Teachers and Tattoos

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

do you do you think teachers should be able to have showing tattoos?

sure, as long as they arent too big
No votes
absolutely, i want my child to be around a real world basis
8%
i dont want some inked up person teaching my child
5%
i really dont care for tattoos, they arent classy for a teaching environment
11%
who cares, as long as my child learns and has a good teacher
76%

Total votes: 38

Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

Most people I know that I have tattoos have them to represent something. It's usually the name of their child or spouse, or of a friend or relative that passed away. It may often just be representative of something that had a profound impact on their life such as their time in the military or a place they have lived or traveled to that they never want to forget, hence the permanency of the tattoo. It's symbolic.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

But would any amount of ink ever make me look as cool as this guy! :lol:

Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

And is that the sort of teacher you want for your kids?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

:lol: :lol: :lol: whats up with that guy's tattoos, they are all the same. i kind of feel sorry for him.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Those tatts allow him to continue his superhero duties even when his tights are at the cleaners. His heart's in the right place.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

mutepointe wrote:i just can't wait til they all get old. especially the folks who got those big giant things in their ears. granny with body piercings, that'll make the grandkids laugh their behinds off just like when our grandparents pulled tricks with their dentures.
I was just going to say that. Luckily I won't be around to see all the wrinkly tattoos when these people are 75 to 90 years old.
Charlene
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'd have no problem with him teaching my kids actually; unless he was teaching them about making tasteful decisions about tattoos.

My friend Breandan, on the other hand (pictured on the previous page) I would trust completly on any topic.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cofaidh wrote:I'd have no problem with him teaching my kids actually; unless he was teaching them about making tasteful decisions about tattoos.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I happen not to wear make-up----grew up during a time when many girls decided not to and I just never got interested later. So I actually find it a little strange when people get all into make-up and what brands are best and what lipstick should they wear, etc. My niece likes to look at books about how to put on make-up. I don't think it is wrong, it is just not something I participate in or care to do for myself at the moment or have much to say about one way or the other. So to me tattooing is about the same. Not something I am interested in, but something other people obviously are. People who are obsessed with their appearance or the appearance of others----whether with what their hair looks like or what tattoos they have----seem a little lacking in some important qualities to me, but people who have a little fun with their appearance but have other things they consider more important seem fine for any sort of employment. So fun could be changing your hair color or getting a tattoo.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I don't care whether the teacher has tattoos. I do care whether they can teach.

As for tattoos themselves- I don't care for them , so I don't have 'em. I can't imagine putting something on myself permanently, since I probably would change my mind at some point. They do send a negative signal to me, and that's probably just a sign of the times and culture of my age and upbringing. I do have one daughter who has multiple tattoos. She got them as an adult and it's her decision. To each his own, whatever floats your boat....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I would rather not have my (hypothetical) kids be taught by someone displaying tattoos. I don't think it's very professional, though that's probably just old-fashioned prejudices. But if the best teacher out there happens to have 'em, I would want the best teacher out there for my kids. That's how it seems to me.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I have one tattoo: a simple stylised sun in black on my left upper arm. I had it done when I was about 39 or 40. I had never seen anything I wanted until I saw that.

I'd like a couple more. There is a lovely cave-painting style buffalo I saw a couple of years ago that I would like to have. Again, a very simple stylised black symbol.

Why, if I were a teacher, would any of that make any difference? Why would it be unprofessional? How does that work? Is it unprofessional to teach without wearing a tie? Were there no professional teachers before ties were invented?

What matters in a teacher is whether they are a good person and a good teacher - and what they teach.

Some people wear bad ties, horrid shoes. Some people have hairstyles they think are nice and which I think make them look like unstable people. When I had hair, many people would, I am sure, have included me in that category.

People decorate themselves and dress up as they will. Good. I'm for that.

Other people worry too much about trivial stuff - much of which is not their business unless they're looking to be the universal arbiters of taste. Or just trying to start arguments.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I can't follow the logic behind worrying if a teacher with tattoos would be a bad influence on the kids.

Are there any kid in school who actually wants to look like their teacher?

I have three daughters and I have never worry about if they will get any tattoos.
By the time they are old enough to get one, people with with tattoos will be over represented by older women
in the 40-50's with unrecognizable ink motives and old bald guys with beer bellies.

I'm sure they will be looking for something clompletely different.
Maybe I should start to worry what that might be :o

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
djm

Post by djm »

buddhu wrote:Or just trying to start arguments.
Heaven forfend! We certainly don't want that sort hanging about, what with their tattoos and all.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

djm wrote:
buddhu wrote:Or just trying to start arguments.
Heaven forfend! We certainly don't want that sort hanging about, what with their tattoos and all.

djm
:D
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.