Elixir Nanowebs

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Cass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Elixir Nanowebs

Post by Cass »

Hi.
Been using Elixir Nanoweb strings for about two and a half years now. I've been playing guitar for about 25 years, and play a lot. (About 4-5 hours a day, most days). I only ever fingerpick (with my nails, not picks).
I really like the sound/feel of Elixir strings, and they stay sounding good longer than un-coated ones. The thing is...I can trash a set of strings in a matter of days...the coating all shreds off, the strings get a "fluffy" look to them and they discolour at an alarming rate. (I make sure the strings are wiped down when I finish playing). I never have sweaty hands...they're always stone cold...even in the middle of a gig! (This is a whole different problem..maybe for another time....!)
I use Light .012-.053 strings on a Moon 0003 guitar.
I've tried Polyweb strings, (and different gauges.) Same story.
I like coated strings, but at £12 a set, it's getting expensive!
(I really can't go back to uncoated strings now..they slows me down).
Can anyone recommend any different brands of coated strings, that might feel similar to Elixirs? I feel like a change!
(I'm not knocking Elixirs...they are very good strings. I just seem to get through them at an alarming rate!)

Cass.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I always found coated strings more of a pain than a help.

Can't help, I'm afraid - other than to wonder if you tried FastFret to keep uncoated strings in good nick when you used to use them. If not then it might be worth a go.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Yes tried that. After years of playing with coated strings, uncoated strings now make me feel as though I've got velcro on my fingers. My fingers seem to catch on the strings, (well, not catch, as such, just kind of "stick", and not slide as easily.) Just my preference. I just like really smooth strings.
I don't really think there's any middle ground! :) I think you either like coated strings, or you don't. They suit my style of playing.
Thanks anyway.

Cass.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Cass,

I always liked CF Martin's SP+ strings, which are also coated, but very lightly. I've never seen them flake when worn either. They aren't cheap, but that's to be expected, if you want a top string with that technology.

I believe there are other brands, like Black Diamond (black coated), and I know there are others, but I haven't tried them, simpley because I like the Martin SP+ strings so well. They are made in Phospher Bronze and 80/20 bronze, and in different guages.

Here's a link to a search on Elderly.com for coated acoustic guitar strings:

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms ... ar+strings

Don't know why Martins didn't come up on the search, but here are the two light guage sets here:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/MSPL4100.htm (phospher brz)

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/MSPL3100.htm (80/20 brz)

Good luck on your search-and when you find the right strings, look into buying in bulk!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have been using EXP strings by D'Addario. They claim that EXPs
"last three to four times longer than traditional guitar strings."
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Elixir Nanowebs

Post by MTGuru »

Cass wrote:the coating all shreds off, the strings get a "fluffy" look to them
My experience, too, Cass. The fuzzy wuzzy strings drove me mad. The coating also causes the guitar pick or picking fingers to slide on the strings in such a way as to ruin precision. The left hand slipping and sliding is very disconcerting. Finding single replacement strings locally is next to impossible, and changing strings required a bank loan. :-)

At around $4 (£2) per set in bulk for good old D'Addario J16s phosphor bronze, coated strings would have to last 6x longer to be economical. I prefer a shiny new set when needed anyway. The J16s sound and feel great, with great control. And single replacements are readily available. I've been using them around 25 years now (no, not the same set!).

At least with FastFret you can control somewhat the degree of slipperiness. But if you've gotten so used to coated strings that you feel you *need* them to play, maybe it's time to rethink things? Maybe lighten up on your left hand technique? A light touch with a nice action shouldn't make your fingers feel like they're catching or sticking (though I understand what you're describing).

The only real application I can see for expensive coated strings is occasionally in the recording studio, to reduce finger-on-string noise when flatwound strings won't do.

All just my very opinionated opinion, of course!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cass

Post by Cass »

I did qiute a lot of studio recording last year, and the coated strings are a lot "quieter". My 12 string hasn't got coated strings, and I could hear the difference by miles (even taking into account that there's twice as many strings!) I'm not at all "heavy handed" with my left hand, I just don't like the way uncoated strings feel now...they really make me feel "sluggish" on the fingerboard. Guess I'm just being awkward!!

:wink:

Cass.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ah, I've seen it before. It starts innocently enough. First one set of Elixirs, then another. And before you know it you're hooked on those sweet, smooth strings. The big E. The coated monkey on your back. In a few years you'll turn to robbing buskers for change to support your string habit, and you'll be locked up in a dark cell with only Grey Larsen's whistle book for companionship.

It's not too late, Cass! Save yourself while you can!

:P

Cass

Post by Cass »

So you think there's still time to save myself??
I was just going to change my strings today.

I'll....try..to put...down.......the packet of ...Elixirs....and step away....from them!!!...AAAArrrgh!!

Can't do it!...I'm hooked....totally sucked in. Wonder if they have rehab centers for people like me?? Wonder if going "cold turkey" would work??

Just off to see if I can find a couple of buskers! :wink: , then I'll come home and shut myself in a darkened room!!

Cass.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Cass,

A lot cheaper alternative might be:

D'ADDARIO EFT16 SEMI-FLATTENED PHOSPHOR BRONZE GUITAR STRINGS

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/FT16.htm

A guitar oriented forum to get more suggestions:

Here
~~~~
Barry
Cass

Post by Cass »

Just been comparing some prices...strings in the USA are SO much cheaper than over here!
It's not fair!

Anyone come accross Thomastik strings? Someone recommended them to me ages ago, but I've never tried them. What do you think of them?

Cass.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cass wrote:Anyone come accross Thomastik strings? Someone recommended them to me ages ago, but I've never tried them. What do you think of them?
I tried a Thomastik "Plectrum" set once. The wound strings are flatwound bronze with a silk and steel core. Probably nice for fingerstyle in the studio. But I found them too flabby and not bright enough for everyday use. A judgement of that particular set, of course, not Thomastiks in general. But you may like them. They're definitely smoother than regular round wounds.

I haven't tried greenspiderweb's D'Addario Flat Tops, but they look interesting. Barry, have you used them, and what do you think?

missy

Post by missy »

I use Elixirs on my bass mountain dulcimer. I can't tell the difference between the nano and poly. I do a lot of slides, so having those wound strings coated are great, plus I tend to really corrode "regular" strings, so they last a lot longer than just using something like Fast Fret.

I get singles here:

http://www.prussiavalley.com

I just tell Gary the sizes I need and he orders them. I have no idea what his shipping would be to the UK. I just got a box of 45 strings (some weren't Elixirs cuz they were small gauge) delivered a few days ago.

We have a lot of dulcimers!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

MTGuru wrote:
Cass wrote:Anyone come accross Thomastik strings? Someone recommended them to me ages ago, but I've never tried them. What do you think of them?
I tried a Thomastik "Plectrum" set once. The wound strings are flatwound bronze with a silk and steel core. Probably nice for fingerstyle in the studio. But I found them too flabby and not bright enough for everyday use. A judgement of that particular set, of course, not Thomastiks in general. But you may like them. They're definitely smoother than regular round wounds.

I haven't tried greenspiderweb's D'Addario Flat Tops, but they look interesting. Barry, have you used them, and what do you think?
No, sorry, MT, I haven't tried them. Like I said before, I was pretty pleased with the Martin SP+ strings, but at half the price, the D'Addario Flat Tops could be a nice alternative to coated strings if the have the tone you like.
~~~~
Barry