Tips for playing slow airs !!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Tips for playing slow airs !!!

Post by rorybbellows »

Fergal Moriarty is a great sean nos singer and whistle player who sings and plays in my local every now and again ,a while ago he gave me a great tip when it comes to playing slow airs for non-Irish speakers.
If you want to put some feeling into a slow air but dont know the song you should make up words of your own .
For the best results the words should be something personal and remind you of some sad time in your life!!
Heres an example of some lines I use when playing some airs.They,re about my dog Rover I had when I was a boy!

(sing with feeling)

O Rover,O Rover,O Rover your dead
The farmers gone and shot you in the head
O Rover was chasin the sheep for some fun
The farmer loaded up and pointed his gun
O Rover O Rover you were my favorite mutt
now your in doggie heaven sniffin some other dogs butt
O Rover,O Rover,O Rover your gone
Nay we,ll meet up again---some day!!!!

It has been commented on that since useing this technique my slow air playing has taken on a new level of saddness !

RORY
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I often find myself attaching words to jigs and reels as well, e.g., Jackie Coleman's always comes out "The Secretary Bird."
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

All joking aside,it is a very valid technique as it will help you remember where to put accents and where to hold notes ,and as they say you can really make the tune your own!!

RORY
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Dear Rory,

I'm not joking. I agree with you. Somehow words come to me not only in airs, but reels and jigs and I do phrase it "syntactically" using words that match up to the actually rhythm of the tune. I've never done this consciously or on purpose, though. The end result is the same, however.

Sincerely,
Dan
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Hello Dan
I meant I was joking,(first post ) and it Sounds like you have an extra talent there as well.

RORY
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

You're right, what I need is a new level of saddness, misery and depair. Maybe some serious pain thrown in for good measure.
Truthfully though if I put words in about my father I may start crying for real. I do see the point. That first line was just a joke, couldn't resist!
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Serves ye right Rory :boggle:
Mind ye if ye play it to the melody of the Mountains of Mourne it will add a whole new dimension to the Irish Romantic Period...

I caught someone o'er the pond by playing an old sean nós song in Miltown one year which I called An Sciopa which roughly translated was Skippy the Bush Kangaroo (played wi feelin o course) I don't know if it entered the repatoire Stateside but nothing would surprise me :wink:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Last edited by Uilliam on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The trick, for me, to playing slow airs, is not to play them fast. That is all.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've recently started recording myself and listening to how I play my tunes.

With slow airs, I have noticed that I don't stop the chanter often enough. As others have said, a slow air should be based on sean nos singing. Well, sean nos singers stop for air occasionally. I was leaving out the stops and just playing the next phrase.

As an aside, I'd recommend recording yourself and listening to your own piping. It's a great way to improve if, like me, you don't have many other pipers in your locality.
PJ
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

As a fellow who knows little to nothing about "Sean nos", I decided to invoke the mighty powers of Google.
This is a pretty interesting article, for the uninitiated among us.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's a good point, to remember that silence can be a powerful tool in music. Have the pipes take a breath at the end of phrases. I also "take breaths" sometimes in reels and jigs as well.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Interesting article. I personally *love* sean-nós singing, even Ennis' rough, froggy vocals. It's interesting to note that a lot of people seem to have the same reaction to Uilleann piping. They either love it or hate it.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Uilliam wrote:.....I caught someone o'er the pond by playing an old sean nós song in Miltown one year which I called An Sciopa which roughly translated was Skippy the Bush Kangaroo (played wi feelin o course) I don't know if it entered the repatoire Stateside but nothing would surprise me :wink:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Hee hee heee.... would that have been in 1997, by any chance?

:D
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

BrianC it could well have been ...Leo Rickard was in on it and it even fooled a girl frae Oz so we let her in on it as well.. :wink: Skippy after all was the kinda National Anthem of Oz once apon a time so it was safe to send it Stateside...now then if it was Flippa then that would have been another story... :)
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
psPaul thanx for the link but couldnae get into it ,this one worked tho
http://www.matazone.co.uk/animpages/ski ... garoo.html
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.