Cure for lip-numbing Oak?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

--quote--
have 3 Oaks, a C, and 2 D's. I play the D's quite frequently while perusing the board, and in the past played them a lot, too. I have never encountered this problem. Perhaps I'm just fortunate?
--endquote--

I have an Oak and an Acorn with the Oak fipple. I also have never had this problem.

I am wondering if there isn't some chemical, maybe a polishing compound used to get that high-gloss black plastic finish, that some people are sensitive to, and others (like me) are unaffected by it.

The only time a whistle has ever made my lips numb was when I first got my Susato low D...I banged my lips a good one on the fipple. Low whistles are dangerous!!! :smile:

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

RECEIVED 10-29-02

Dale,

I work at a music store that stocks a lot of whistles. Recently we got a batch of Oak D's that were recalled my the distributer because the plastic fipple tasted and smelled funny. Last week I got another shipment that I tried out personally.After One try at playing one , my lips got
completely numb and stayed that way for over an hour.IMHO , Oak has got some real problems with the composition of their plastic on the D's (the C's are OK , made of a different plastic) I wouldn't advise anyne to buy one until this problem is solved.Volitiles are leaking from the head and could be potentially dangerous.
( I would prefer that you did not use our name in this report, as we would
still like to be able to get the Oaks when the problem is corected.)
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

This is scary.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Wy wips are perwanentwy wumb anyway.Oaks are my favorwit.:wink: Mike
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

This fits in the "cheap whistle vs. high-end debate" :
Why spend on Cocobolo when you can get the same result with good ol' American poison Oak ? :grin:
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Get some of Parks clear Shellac spray and spray the whistle after cleaning it. Shellac has been well know for it's ability to seal and it's a non-toxic alcohol thinable material. I use it on the Series II whistle for the frosted appearance (which requires heat)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-10-30 07:37, Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
Get some of Parks clear Shellac spray and spray the whistle after cleaning it. Shellac has been well know for it's ability to seal and it's a non-toxic alcohol thinable material. I use it on the Series II whistle for the frosted appearance (which requires heat)
Or play Feadogs and Generations.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I am so glad this was posted.

My new, supposedly non-poison one was just as bad as the earlier ones. I tried the cleaning technique that was mentioned and I still get an occasional taste. I'm not playing mine anymore. And I really like them.

I hope I haven't ingested some carcinogenic substance.

I have a Gen fipple whose tube was bent by my kids (I suspect it wasn't as accidental as they claim) and a Walton Irish Black Whistle whose A is slightly sharp. This gives me two fipples to put onto the shiny Oak tubes.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2002-10-30 03:57, Zubivka wrote:
This fits in the "cheap whistle vs. high-end debate" :
Why spend on Cocobolo when you can get the same result with good ol' American poison Oak ? :grin:
That's priceless! :lol:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The person with whom I've been corresponding at the at distributor assures me that, though there is an unsolved flavor problem, the manufacturer (in Ireland) says it's non toxic and non carcinogenic. She is confidant in this.

While I am trusting her at her word, I am a little uneasy that she won't/can't tell me exactly what the issue is. I suspect that the technical issues are beyond her usual area and she just isn't filled in. But still...
atarango

Post by atarango »

I just want to signal my dissatisfaction...

I bought an oak D and C today- the D played so nice, I was really happy, but then my whole freaken mouth went numb. It was a a horrible feeling...

so you think I could return these whistles to the store I bought them? Or send them back to the oak people?
Its so sad because the D played so nice...
grrr
-Angela
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I've never seen or heard an Oak.

What are they like?
Where do you get them?

Boyd
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

This is really, really bad!
I don't see why anyone would bother with mouth-numbing, poisonous whistles. Oak should really be ashamed for making and selling these, especially without recalling them after figuring out the problem. I can't believe they won't even fess up about what's causing these problems. If this were any other product it would be sure to end up in a class-action lawsuit.
Chris
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Atarango,

I'd take them to the shop if it's a small shop. They're more likely to actually send them back to the distributor and make an issue of it. If you got them at a place like Sam Ash, then I'd bet they'll just refund you and toss them in a corner. In that case I'd contact the distributor directly.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-11-16 20:42, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
This is really, really bad!
If this were any other product it would be sure to end up in a class-action lawsuit.
Chris
It may still. I saved both mine in case my lips fall off someday, so we can all sue them together.