Computer workers and flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

sbhikes wrote:I'm not a fan of the track balls or strangely-shaped keyboards...
Honestly, try a trackball, and see what it can do for you. Check it out!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I have experienced pain in my hands for several years now. Wearing gloves and keeping my hands warm helps a great deal. I have some thin nylon gloves, and also some bicycling gloves that allow free motion for the fingers. Mousing seems to aggravate the condition more than typing, especially if the mouse is cold to the touch.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
lixnaw wrote:You might want to try out one of these
http://www.tempur.co.uk/tempuruk/comfort/seatwedge/
I also like to use a wedge in my chairs, especially in my car seat. However, the wedge is mostly designed to correct lower-back allignment and won't help much with wrist problems. The price of the wedge in question @ 60 pounds sterling ($120 USD) is a wee bit extravagent.

I sometimes drive over 800 miles with this wedge, i've tried cheaper ones, but they're not half as good. I don't believe the problem's just in the wrist, it's mostly bad circulation due to poor body posture.
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

The pain is likely a nerve problem. If a person does much keyboard work, a 'strangely-shaped' keyboard places much less stress on the nerves.

I've had ulnar nerve problems in my arms for several years. Using a track ball positioned on my leg greatly reduces problems; using a Microsoft Natural (pseudo-ergonomic) keyboard on my lap is even better.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

agree on the keyboard.
I once had one of these strangely shaped ones and it was a revelation.
problems started once I got an laptop....esp right hand which controls the touchpad.

why is that stupid thing so far out of the centre for something you use your right hand with? ah.

disagree on the trackball thing as pictured.
your hands not resting on anything works better.
mouse on lap good idea, will try that.
as long as it doesn't eat my cheese.

berti
MaryC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Post by MaryC »

RSI/OOS isn't restricted to keyboard workers: it's long been common among machinists (as in sewing machines) and people like forestry workers. All computers have done is move it into white-collar occupations, who are far better at getting publicity for their maladies.

That said: take it seriously. If you're in pain, then stop, and find a better way. You've seen a number of suggestions here, you could try them out, or (especially if it's work-related) you could get a proper assessment from a qualified occupational therapist (who will probably say "here's a bunch of suggestions, try them to see what works" :) ) ...but hopefully his/her suggestions will target the specific problems that you have.

If you just ignore the pain and play/work/whatever through it, you are running big risks in terms of doing long-term damage to your hands. Worst case, you will lose the ability to even do simple things like use cutlery or tie your shoe laces.
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

I agree with what's been said - don't ignore it and try to play through it. Have a look at "Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries" by Sharon J. Butler and Jacqueline Entwistle Freeman. The book has some useful preventative exercises.

Tons of stuff on the web about this too.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

repetitive strain injury like carpal tunnel is often a result of chronic tightness building up in muscles and fascia, which then pulls on tendons, which then rubs up against joint capsules and other connective tissue at or near a joint, either shifts joint structure or swelling occursfrom inflammation, and maybe then impinge a nerve. something like a ganglion cyst is a result of this downward spiral.
the solution is to see a "soft tissue release" or "muscle release technique" therapist. surgery, and wearing braces or gadgets are not a solution to the perpatuating cause of pain. releasing chronic patterns of muscle tightness that has built up over time and has never been released is a solution.
instead of "repetitive use injury", it should be called something like "chronic tightness syndrome", as "repitition of use" is not necessarily a bad thing - we walk, talk, eat, breathe, ect. repeatedly.
Denny

Post by Denny »

dear rama,

Please try to be a little less coherent.

Thanks,
Denny
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

rama wrote:instead of "repetitive use injury", it should be called something like "chronic tightness syndrome", as "repitition of use" is not necessarily a bad thing - we walk, talk, eat, breathe, ect. repeatedly.
I see both "repetitive use" and "chronic tightness", not one or the other, as responsible for the problems that many of us experience with using our hands, for example.

The example given above mentions walking as something that we do repeatedly. Although walking is a very healthy exercise, as well as an excellent means of mobility, the knees and hip joints experience wear in the process, hence the need for hip and knee replacement. My wife used scissors to cut hair in the beauty shop for many years. Now, her thumb joints (according to the X-rays) are bone-on-bone, and she has chronic pain as a result of that. In her case, I doubt that her probems with her thumb joints are soley the result of chronic tightness, although I may be wrong about that.
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Continuous use of fingers and other body parts, especially coupled with ergonomically poor positioning, will result in difficulties, even if excessive tightness of muscles is not present. Granted, increased tightness will worsen any potential problem.

Also, as Doug points out, parts wear out. And old injuries will usually pop up to plague us as we grow older...
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

most joints are made to move. that is what they are made for. they love movement, thrive on it. in fact they are known as 'moveable joints'. healthy movement brings nutrition to a joint : flushes out noxious waste, replenishing and resupplying and relubricating. unhealthy movement cause joints to degenerate, blood does not flow, nutrition does not get to it, noxious waste builds, synovial fluid hardens, sickness and pain follows. hey, believe what you want. now aging is a seperate process, a slowing down process yet we still can age without abusing ourselves. dont' confuse the two. it is seperate from unhealthy tension and movement. so please try not to grind down your joints, it hurts too much in the end. be good to them, and they will be good to you in the end. maintaining healthy movement is one of the keys to vitality.
again, believe what you want, esp. if it works for you and keeps your joints healthy.
Last edited by rama on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rama

Post by rama »

here are a couple of interesting websites offering products on joint mobility and care. i have no connection, other than i tend to agree with most of what they offer, practice myself and recommend to clients similar exercises.

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/home/
http://zhealth.net/