Rock and roll and the pennywhistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Henkersbraut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Henkersbraut »

Tak_the_whistler wrote:But how about a whistler in a "metal" band? That would be interesting as well....
It is interesting, check out:

Skyclad (at least the one CD I've got with them would fit into the metal category)

Subway to Sally; metal with medieval tendencies (follow my web-link for more)
In Extremo; medieval metal/rock
Schandmaul; medieval folkrock with metal tendencies

The last three ones are German and might be a bit hard to come by, but they play more or less metal, all with tinwhistle, hurdy-gurdy and bagpipes (++).
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

alex wrote: Of course, I read a great article in the paper a few weeks ago about Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson and his flute - showing that woodwinds DO belong in rock music. Now if only he'd learn whistle...

:D
Any idea if Ian ever comes out to sign autographs, etc after concerts? I'll be at the Tanglewood show tomorrow, and I just MIGHT have one of my wooden whistles with me for Ian to try out...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It's not rock & roll but Bela Fleck and the Flecktones use pennywhistle on one of their tunes. I think it's on Hoe Down. They also have a guy playing jazz bassoon. Very cool.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Henkersbraut, thanks!

Checked "Subway to Sally" at amazon.de. I think they're o.k..
I wonder which whistle they use, though?
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
madguy

Post by madguy »

Lee, thanks for your input, you've come up with some great ones - though I have to admit, I'm one of the very few who absolutely can't stand House of the Rising Sun :)

~Larry
madguy

Post by madguy »

Blackbird and Rocky Raccoon work very nicely with a whistle, thank you, Lee! :)

~Larry
madguy

Post by madguy »

By gawd, I just thought of another one from the Beatles' album ( always mistakenly called The White Album).... Julia. I'm gonna try it right now!!!

~Larry
Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

Tak_the_whistler wrote:Henkersbraut, thanks!

Checked "Subway to Sally" at amazon.de. I think they're o.k..
I wonder which whistle they use, though?
Eric uses Generation whistles (C, D and F as far as I know).
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

One of the best bands I know is Eluveite, they call themselfs a Celtic Pagan Metal band. They also play the tin and low whistle and an irish flute and they also have two 'Schäferpfeife' (old German pipes: http://home.tiscali.de/instrumente/scha ... elsack.htm )
And I'm also going to play in a metalband and i'm playing tinwhistle, low whistle and highland bagpipe and I'm going to buy a medieval bagpipe to play in the band.
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, and Real Mackenzies are all Celtic influenced punk rock bands featuring various traditional instruments and tunes.

There is also a group called Off Kilter that takes a very rock spin on celtic and a celtic spin on rock.

Also....Hayseed Dixie is a group that exclusively does bluegrass versions of classic rock. Bluegrass is easily transferrable into a celtic format.

Personally....I can play most of Hotel California on whistle and a few other rock songs including Seven Nation Army(white stripes), Basket Case(green day), and bits of Come Sail Away!

Sometimes I just get bored and try to figure out songs that get stuck in my head.

I should also add that I find most rock melodies to be fairly weak when unaccompanied.(at least many of the ones I've tried)
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

I can play Eluveitie - Your Gaulish War / Eluveitie - Aidu / Subway to Sally - Nacht der Söldner on the tin whistle and In Extremo - Bitte Bitte / In Extremo - Herr Mannelig / In Extremo - Horizont / In Extremo - Küss Mich on the bagpipe
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I was seriously considering starting a series of threads entitled
"Impress your friends/Annoy your kids", wherein I would list
which songs on the current top40 could be played along with
on a D whistle. But then I took a nap instead.
walrii

Post by walrii »

pete humphrey wrote::boggle: What about Led Zepplin Stairway to Heaven & any Eagles song(yes they are popular in UK) :D pete
I'm working on "Seven Bridges Road" on the whistle as an execise in learning by ear. It sounds nice on the whistle but the Eagles harmony is so pervasive in my head that the whistle doesn't quite sound the same. (Could also be my ear is outta whack!) Of course, any player of the "Fipple Flute That Cannot Be Named" worth his salt has learned the recorder part on Stairway.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
walrii

Post by walrii »

For the Beatles fans, add "Yesterday" and "When I'm Sixty-four." 64 takes a half-hole or two.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

The Italian Power Metal band, Elvenking, uses whistles or a similar instrument in a lot of their songs. You can usually hear them in the background but some songs, including the intro to their first album, are done almost exclusively with the whistle. Since they're going for a folkish feel, the whistle parts transfer very easily into standard keys.

Also check their Myspace for more songs. It's a pity some of their better songs that have the whistle aren't featured though.
Last edited by Anglorfin on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.