What style is he playing in

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
seamasL

What style is he playing in

Post by seamasL »

CocusFlute said in a recent post,
”What tradition is the book rooted in: Donegal? Kerry? Slieve Luchra? Clare? West Clare? East Clare?”
Well, he used the word tradition but he might have used the word style right? Now, I am asking that question as a lead in to my main question, not as the start of an argument over the definition of the word tradition vs the word style.
I wonder if you guys could help me learn more about ITM by talking about the different styles of playing ITM as described by location as some of you so often do.
So, if you heard Joe play a jig you might say,” that is a good example of Galway style”. Or,” Bob over there is playing that reel in Clare style”. The trouble is that right now I wouldn’t have a clue what you meant and it is something that I should pay more attention to.
Now don’t get into micro styles, just help me learn how many well defined styles there are overall and maybe give me name of a player who is a good example of that style.
I have the WFO CDs, like so many others on this forum, and maybe you could pick from them. (Sometimes in the notes they mention the style of the player) It would be a great learning experience for me and I think for some of the other players here who might have wondered about the same thing.
Jim
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

there is no end to the walking
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Don't look at me. I can barely distinguish between Dragon, Tiger, and Monkey styles...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cofaidh wrote:Don't look at me. I can barely distinguish between Dragon, Tiger, and Monkey styles...
While dragon and tiger styles both are known for their powerful palm attacks, dragon is a soft style, with fluid movements and oblique striking angles. Tiger, on the other hand, has firm stances and strong linear attacks. Monkey style, by comparison, is easily distinguishable once your opponent starts flinging poo..
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Wanderer wrote:Monkey style, by comparison, is easily distinguishable once your opponent starts flinging poo..
None of that on here, then. Perish the thought!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
seamasL

what style is he playing in

Post by seamasL »

Thank You rh, that is just what I was looking for. You guys know everything!
Jim
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

To siphon up a pint at distance while on a low C#.

One of the many things I can teach you grasshoppers.

Aanvil, Drunken Master, Aanvil

:P
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Wanderer wrote:
Cofaidh wrote: Monkey style, by comparison, is easily distinguishable once your opponent starts flinging poo..
I play "Monkey style" but I don't fling poo! :twisted:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
awildman

Post by awildman »

I don't fling poo, but it does come out of my flute. In the form of sound waves.
cocusflute

Regional styles

Post by cocusflute »

Despite the low humor, the original question is interesting and worth asking. Regional differences are breaking down all the time. Recordings, radio, and other media tend to homogenize regional differences. It surprises me that there is still such a recognizable difference between spoken regional accents. Corkonians still sound different than Dubliners, Claremen, Kerrymen, or Ulstermen.

I think also that regional differences are more apparent in fiddlers than in fluters. You can hear the clear differences between fiddlers from Sligo (Michael Coleman) and West Clare (Junior Crehan) and East Clare (Martin Hayes), Slieve Luchra and Kerry. Fluters tend not to be so localized, probably due in part to the influence of Matt Molloy, whose effect is ubiquitous. I think also that the flute doesn't lend itself to such a broad range of stylistic interpretation as the fiddle, which is capable of a much wider range of expression. Fiddlers have much more distinctive styles.

Catherine McEvoy presents as a Roscommon flute-player and argues for a regional style, but she was born and raised in Birmingham and lives outside of Dublin. Harry Bradley is clearly a northern fluter, with a clearly defined attack rather than the more legato style of June Ni Chormaic. But to my ears, and in general, great flute players tend to be more alike than they are different.

Thanks to Wooden Flute Obsession regional differences might be easier to identify and to pin down.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Given a now global interest in ITM, given the Internet, and given much in the way of such student materials, including so many recordings, I wonder what those traditional musicians in Ireland could think, of so many other, perhaps original interpretations of their own music.

We, the aliens!
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

A very worthwhile read is this Interview with Martin Hayes

For instance he says about regional styles:
I think the regional styles are dying out, and I don't think they can ever be revived. I think any resuscitation of them in that sense would be very mechanical, would be very premeditated, and of course this music never came out of a premeditated, orchestrated form. It would be imitation rather than a real expression. So the only hope I see is for people to find individual expression in it. Right now most of the traditional music I hear.... seems like a work in progress.
And I love this bit about musical expression:
In order to get to the heart of the music you must have pure expression. Whenever I hear music that's set out to impress me, I'm unimpressed largely. I'm amazed and dazzled at the proficiency and technique and the intelligence of the language and the complexity at times, but if that's what it sets out to achieve, it's absolutely pointless. It's missed the initial point, the core meaning of music. And an awful lot of music does that. You'd almost want to have the childlike simplicity again and just go, "I like that. That's nice." A big thing with a lot of musicians is the fear to play something very simple and delicate, in case somebody would think you weren't a great fiddler or something. In order to get your own individual expression, would you have to become a highly technically proficient musician? The answer really is no, I don't think that that's as important as getting your head straight, and getting your heart in the right place.
Read the whole interview!

~Hans
Cork

Post by Cork »

hans wrote:A very worthwhile read is this Interview with Martin Hayes...Read the whole interview!...
Aha! So there appears to be a real music transition within Ireland itself, that apparently regional differences are becoming more diminished. And, there is other more mentioned in the article, of several years ago, in all a good read.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

...the core meaning of the music...

I recently received as a gift a couple of CDs from Ireland. Many of the tunes on the CD are sung. I've been quite shocked at the words! Some are quite gruesome and gory. I am wholly not able to play in a manner that brings out this kind of meaning to the music!
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Romulo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Romulo »

ImageRessurrecting a postImage

Sorry for the ignorance, but can you please tell me which players at the Flute Obsession CDs have a northern style of playing? What's the main characteristic of that style? I suppose it's punchy, with a strong attack, right?