so I was building some new stairs and....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

so I was building some new stairs and....

Post by Flyingcursor »

My wife and I finally bought the material we needed to build some new stairs off our porch. Today I happily drilled and cut, etc and put it all together in spite of the heat. As I placed and began to level the first risor I noticed a little twig in the way. Of course I casually reached down to move said twig. As I stood up, twig in hand, my back SCREAMED in mortal agony and I became unable to move for about 10 minutes.

A TWIG for crying out loud!!!! I can't believe I'm sitting here with my back muscles protesting because of a little twig.

This is ridiculous. First it was one thing on my trip to Kentucky then I had a bad cold over the 4th, now I'm barely able to walk due to pulling my back muscles. At least I can console myself with the knowledge that it can get a lot worse than this!!!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

dang, Flydood - I'll see if I can ship Alice up to you for a back massage (we swear that half the reason some of the instructors come to KMW is because of Alice and her PT!!!).

You need to take better care of yourself!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Don't be lifting any heavy picks now, ya hear? :wink:

Take care of yourself.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Ooohhh!! Been there, too. Best wishes for a speedy and permanent recovery!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Things can just get so annoying!!!! A person is careful about lifting really heavy stuff, looks before crossing the street, drinks lots of water in the heat, takes all the wise precautions and then you do something totally ordinary like pick up a twig or you can't even figure out what the heck you did and something hurts for months. Here's hoping your back improves quickly---what bad luck!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

"Ibuprophen is our friend".... yes, it is. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

I would have recommended asprin, but if your back already hurts you probably don't need a burned a$$, as well. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I will pray for complete healing. I've heard it said that people's evolution from walking on all fours to walkin on just two legs is what leads to back problems. I don't know how accurate it is, but it makes sense. *hugs*
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Boy, it's painful when you put your back out. I did it a couple of times lifting our firstborn (he was a heavy kid).

Get well soon.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I once cracked a tooth on a carrot.

My husband has a habit of walking into the room dripping blood from whichever finger he just whacked with a hammer, or slipped into with a utility knife. I have been luckier with tools, other than a pair of kitchen scissors.

Gotta watch out for those handyman projects Fly!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey, I don't care so much about yer back... how did the stairs come out? Figuring out the risers and formulas for stairs is hard for the math-retarded like me....

Seriously, you have to make an effort to go to a health club and do those back machine exercises (or the kind at home that take more mental effort) or you will suffer these periodic random injuries as you get older. Knees, too. My Y-membership lapsed and I am on borrowed time currently.

I was out for a month just by bending over to get the morning paper a few years ago. Humiliating and painful.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Re: so I was building some new stairs and....

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:A TWIG for crying out loud!!!! I can't believe I'm sitting here with my back muscles protesting because of a little twig.
Sorry to hear that, Flydood. Back injuries suck. In my case, I didn't even have a twig to blame. Several years ago, I stepped in a small dip in a field while playing kickball with my niece and nephew. I ended up in the emergency room with back spasms so bad I passed out from the pain.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I sympathize with you. Backs that aren't working well are NO fun. :(

Hope you mend quickly.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm back to work today.
Yesterday I gave in to my wife's idea and saw our local blind chiropractor. After he whacked and twisted for about a half hour the pain had diminished by at least 2/3 rds. I can walk well again.

The stairs came out great but I have to wait a few more days to attempt to finish them.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Vertebrae are a lot like ducks. It's best to keep them in a row.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.getodd.com/duck/alignment.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde