happy happy me renamed Everything will come to an end

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Glad your moggy is ok, Brigitte! :party: :party: :party:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Brigitte wrote:wow, thanks a lot for all the great stories on the oldies or not so oldies in your families. Bill 9! cats, that is something else.

I developed a cat allergy in 95 when I had a 2nd cat with Jacques, she was not keen on us three as a "family" and did some nasty things but especially her protest peeing caused my allergy in the end. I get itchy eyes, running nose and caughing (?) and whistling sounds in my lungs in the mornings when I am with any other cat ie. at friend's houses. Weird enough I do not have these sympthoms with Jacques or very rarely if I am fighting a cold, probably having him so long I got "immune". Because of my allergy we did not take on a second cat in the last few years and there might not be any other new kitten enter our home when he dies, we will have to see if we can cope without.

wish you all many happy hours with your furry friends
Brigitte
I am highly allergic to some cats and hardly at all to others. The old feller I told about in my previous post is one I cannot hold, as he sets off every reaction in my system. I have to go in immediately and wash my hands after I give him a petting, and I dare not get them anywhere hear my face before I have washed, or I might as well have stuck my face in his fur. Yet there is one now that I am not having that reaction to... just a little itchy if I snuggle him. He gets to come into the house ... the others are all staying outside.

I had one cat that I was not at all allergic to, Dolly (named after Dolly Parton for her small stature, huge voice and coat of many colors), who was my dear compnion for 9 years. I have had a cat that I was so close to as she. I bottle fed her as a kitten and whe stayed close to me most of the time, sleeping on my hip at night. I miss her greatly.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cass

Post by Cass »

Talking about allergies...lots of people who are usually allergic to cats, find that they are perfectly OK with Cornish Rex and Devon Rex cats (or Sphynx cats, but to me, that would be like cuddling a cat-shaped bag of skin!...sorry to all Sphynx lovers, but they don't do much for me! :D
A friend had a Devon Rex...they are adorable, and very affectionate..always wanting cuddles, but feel the cold because of their short fur!

Our other cat (who sadly died), was a huge ginger girl, who thought she was a dog. She loved water, growled at the postman, and came when you whistled. Funny thing is...our new girl also thinks she's a dog. She fetches toys when you throw them (will carry on doing it, as long as you will!) and loves messing in water 'till she's soaked (she often tries to teach her toys to swim!) and comes immediately when you call her or whistle. Must be a ginger thing.... Anyone else with a ginger cat who's a bit odd?

Cass.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Cass wrote:Our other cat (who sadly died), was a huge ginger girl, who thought she was a dog. She loved water, growled at the postman, and came when you whistled. Funny thing is...our new girl also thinks she's a dog. She fetches toys when you throw them (will carry on doing it, as long as you will!) and loves messing in water 'till she's soaked (she often tries to teach her toys to swim!) and comes immediately when you call her or whistle. Must be a ginger thing.... Anyone else with a ginger cat who's a bit odd?

Cass.
The oldster of earlier mention is a Ginger ex-tom, and one of his proteges is also Ginger. The younger one talks... a lot, flicks his tail more than any cat I've ever seen (a loooooong list) and will fall over when you pull on his tail. The big Ginger male we lost a couple of years ago also talked a blue streak ... he liked to ride in the canoe, and he ate ants. An earlier Ginger boy also a yacker, would hardly let you walk (and I believe was the cause of one broken ankle!!) ... he ate wasps and hot peppers. We had one female Ginger and White, who who was definitely a bit eccentric... OK, more than a bit... so yeah... Ginger definitely coincides with odd in my feline experience.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Cass

Post by Cass »

MMmmm, ants, wasps and peppers! Could be onto something here...the latest diet craze???
All of my cats have loved sweetcorn. The two gingers liked/like curry, and the little one will mug you for a piece of crusty bread, or a fat juicy fly! She's got really strange markings, and looks as if she's been "graffited" Very pale ginger, with very dark "writing" over the top. (It looks just like "sod" is written down both sides)...very apt!
She's been known to jump in the bath with me.
She's not normal!! God knows what type of kittens she'll produce!! (But I still can't wait!)
Just caught her in the kitchen, eating a piece of silver paper! :boggle:

Cats are fantastic!!!

Cass.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Good for you Brigette and glad the old rascal did well. :)

The anesthetic agents in use in Veterinary medicine today are worlds safer than those we used just a few years ago.

I routinely anesthetize really debilitated old-timers that I wouldn't have dreamed of knocking out years ago.

Dental care is probably the single most important thing you can do to maintain the health of an older pet.

Dogs in particular are notorious for masking pain. The law of the pack so deeply ingrained in their doggy brains says "If you show pain someone will clean your clock and you'll lose status". So they are experts at masking their pain. Lots of research with hidden cameras has shown that dogs almost always act happy and like all is well when with their owners but show lots of signs of pain and discomfort when they are alone.

Few things are more uncomfortable than a bad tooth. Do your furry friends a favor and flip those lips. If all doesn't look beautiful get them some attention. :)

Doc, DVM
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Brigitte

Jacques has passed away on Thursday morning

Post by Brigitte »

Two days ago Jacques has passed away. It was unfortunately not meant to be longer anymore. He had some good weeks after the operation, painless and active even put up some weight again but then old age must have caught up and he decided to stop eating and drinking totally last Sunday but still was active, lying in the sun and wandering the garden until Wednesday evening. I had contact with our VET and knew I only can make it as comfy as possible and try to avoid any suffereing when it arrived. It had been a not going smooth at his death day, some circumstances I could have spared him during his last night had I known more about the physiology of cats and read the signs of death appearing better. I could possibly then have saved him having to go through a night of being under distress a few times due to having to vomit. I learned since then that a cat vomiting after not eating especially not drinking for some days this is the absolute turning point and the moment to act to prevent suffering. He is now burried in our garden opposite to the workshop underneath a big white Fliederbusch and I will be able to see his grave when working in there.
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Brigitte, my sympathies on the passing of your friend.

It hurts to lose a pet you have loved. A couple of months ago we had to euthanise one of our ferrets when he developed a bowel blockage secondary to adrenal disiease.

A pet is a great treasure, and gone from our lives all too quickly.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Ah, my dear Brigitte: Just stumbled onto this thread...Please know we are with you in your grief. I work with animals - and their life and death - every day, and sometimes it hurts a lot, inside. I will never completely get used to it, nor do I wish to...

My wife is allergic to cats, and we have 9 of them - 7 are rescue animals. They are with us permanently - inside our home, and my wife is OK because of a medicine, prescribed by our doctor. As has been said before, there are cats that are a lot easier for people to live with, who have allergies...

If and when the time comes to allow one of these wonderful creatures into your life again, may I suggest you look at Maine Coones and Ragdolls. We have one of each, among the troops, and those two cause my wife no grief, even without her meds.

My best to you and Colin.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Sorry to hear that, Brigitte. So it goes.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jack

Post by Jack »

:(
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Condolences Bridgitte, it's never easy to lose a pet. At least it sounds like he made the most of his last days enjoying the sun and garden.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

"Don't just cry because it's over; smile because it happened."
--someone much wiser than me

Condolences.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

So sorry to hear that, Brigitte. He obviously lived a long and well loved life. May his soul fly free, and good memories quickly fill the hole in your heart..
anniemcu
---
---
---
Cass

Post by Cass »

Really sorry, Brigitte, to hear your sad news. It's just like losing a member of your family when you've had them for so long. I know exactly how you are feeling. He will have left a hole in your heart.

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana