B.A.C.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

i remember bac but i was a kid and lived in pennsylvania at the time. i have no clue how adults survived the south when suits and ties and girdles and what-not were required wear.

my wife keeps the thermostat set at 67 all year round. it's that time in her life. i can't wait til she can handle more extreme temperatures again.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

it wasnt this hot back then
djm

Post by djm »

Ah, but it was, just not as often. Many heat records were still set in the pas on a day-by-day basis. The biggest difference is that it is not cooling down as much at night.

And I have news for Anglorfin: its even hotter up in the mountains if you're talking the Rockies, "but its a dry heat." :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

djm wrote:And I have news for Anglorfin: its even hotter up in the mountains if you're talking the Rockies, "but its a dry heat." :lol:

djm
I thought they were called fires!

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
missy

Post by missy »

My dad worked in heating and air conditioning, so we had central air from about the time I was 5 years old (it was a compressor that was taken out of a funeral home - lots of stories told about that!). It went on the first warm day, and would stay on until at least Labor Day.

Our house here has trees to the south, and we have a whole house fan, so we're usually ok until the humidity starts up. We also have central air, and turned it on Saturday - and we'll leave it on until the humidity gets more reasonable. But we really prefer to sleep with the windows open and the fan going - except in August when the ragweed is in bloom (allergies, you know).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

We finally got ac and insulation two years ago and it was turned on last week. Today (94F) we almost set a new record(96 in 1988). The humidity is way way up-although still no rain ). We are in the mountains with lots of old trees in the yard and it normally does cool off as soon as the sun sets.Then we set a fan in the window upstairs to pull in the cool air all night. But not tonight, it's like a black sauna out there and it's hot upstairs. Gonna be a miserable night. Thankfully, we only have a couple of months that have some humid days and nights like this.

Redwolf until we got the ac we did exactly like you describe. Open every window all night, and thankfully there are lots of them for cross drafts in this old house, then close everything up tight in the morning before the heat gets up there.

I don't like the stuff because I freeze most of the time anyway. Summer more than winter since everywhere you go it's too cold inside. But, I do like it in my car while working. I spent last summer with a faulty radiator and had to swelter for several weeks without ac. My Jeep was not the only one who's temperature was dangerously high.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I still think of air conditioning in the home as a luxury and I don't think anyone is a wimp for hating the heat. I think people have always suffered horribly in the heat---didn't ancient kings have slaves that fanned them? People have always tried to find ways to cool off, I think.

A lot of the time we get along okay with fans and we put one in the window at night also to bring in the cool air. I think it might be really nice to have those ceiling fans as our floor fans are in the way---I knocked one over the other night and it fell on my toe and that hurt--, but the past few days we finally decided we couldn't take it anymore so we turned on our two window conditioners. I try to blow the cool air with fans to the hotter rooms and it seems to help. I turn the conditioners off when it feels pretty good and they can stay off for about 4-8 hours. But I hate having all the windows closed and this noise. But you get to a point where the sweat is just running down you and your eyes are stinging and the newspaper is sticking to your arms, so the noise beats that. I told my husband that if drops of sweat are falling from my forehead onto the kitchen counter when I am wiping it off, then it is time to turn on the air conditioners. He agreed. I am also even crankier than usual when it is hot and humid. I feel like I am in a battle or something. Summer in the midwest is not my favorite time of year and it could be a lot hotter than it's been so far. The burden of this warm humid air just weighs down on a person, the morning does not feel fresh and new, it feels like someone already breathed the air.

The use of energy is my only problem with air conditioning since we are supposed to minimize our consumption. I do think it is strange when places are over-air conditioned to the point that people are cold---that is so wasteful and I wish people would stop doing that. I always feel guilty when it is running, but I also feel glad that some relief is available. I guess we just try to use it when we are really uncomfortable and hope that is a reasonable use of energy. But I do really believe it is a luxury which we are very lucky to be able to have.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I have to admit, every time I come here and see this thread, my first thought is "What's this about Dublin?" (BÁC = Baile Átha Cliath = Dublin)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Sorry Redwolf, didn't even think that there was a connection between BAC and Dublin.

Me, I couldn't live in this thirty one story condo without air conditioning and elevators. Basically I live in a concrete cell, although I am on the north side of the building and get no direct sunlight to heat this place up, I do get all the heat from the west side of building radiating through the floors and ceiling during the night. I wish I could open a window for a cross breeze but that is impossible do to fire regulations and security.

As for the tempurature in this place, I keep the ac at what I call, knicker cool. I have seen residents in this building come out of their suites wearing, jeans and sweat shirts or sweaters. It doesn't have to be that cold to be comfortable!

In commerical buildings, skyscrapers etc. the temperature is set so that the business man can wear their summer weight wool suits. That is why you see men who are comfortable in their suits and women, who dress for the day, sitting at their desks wearing sweaters and their toes turning blue. If we could get the suitors out of those suits, we can raise the temperature and save a ton of energy.

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

It's s'posed to be 94 (F) today, with high humidity. The state declared it an "Ozone Alert" day, which means public transit via bus is free (to try to discourage people driving to and from work).
Anyway, I generally detest A/C. I work in it, and it's always such a shock going from the a/c to the outside, then back. It seems quite unhealthy. The hot seems so much hotter when the transition is so drastic.
My theory is - just move slower, try to stay calm, drink lots (water, if you must), and try not to cook anything. I don't have a/c in the house, but then I live at the coast. It gets a bit unbearable when the temp drops and the humidity increases (when the temp drops and the dew point stays the same, the relative humidity increases making it feel more uncomfortable), but I'm a New Englander. We learn to live with this stuff -- just like we live with the blizzards and sub-freezing stuff we have to deal with in January. It makes us stronger.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Cynth wrote:The burden of this warm humid air just weighs down on a person, the morning does not feel fresh and new, it feels like someone already breathed the air.
If this thread were a writing contest, I think Cynth just won the prize with that sentence!

I've been keeping a close eye on our birds out in the aviary since this is the first summer we've had them out there. (Did you know that birds pant when they get overheated? :o ) We have 3 fans out there: one at the peak of the ceiling that hopefully is pulling out the hot air as it rises, one that circulates, and a huge one that draws cross ventilation. We call that one "the finchsucker" because it's so powerful you can see their flight path get deflected when they go past it. It's recessed into the wall and has a layer of mesh over it. Husband says "otherwise we'd have some very expensive chicken salad." :P