You've got to be kidding......

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
HampshireWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

You've got to be kidding......

Post by HampshireWhistler »

THE DUMBEST FOLKS ON EARTH!

This picture is real - not doctored in any way - and was taken by a
Transportation Supervisor for a company that delivers building materials for 84 Lumber. When he saw it in the parking lot of IHOP, he went to buy a camera to take pictures.

The car is still running, as can be witnessed by the exhaust.
A woman is either asleep or otherwise out in the front seat passenger side. The driver was jogging up and down on Rt. 925.(in the background) Witnesses said their physical/mental state was OTHER than normal. The driver finally came back after the police were called, and was found crouched behind the rear of the car, attempting to cut the twine around the load! Luckily, the police stopped him and had the load removed.
The materials were loaded at Home Depot. Their store manager said they made the customer sign a waiver.
While the plywood and 2X4s are fairly obvious, what you can't see is the back seat, which contains -- are you ready for this? -- 10 bags of concrete @ 80 lbs. each.
They estimated the load weight at 3000 lbs. Both back tires exploded, the wheels bent and the back shocks were driven through the floorboard.
The car, with Florida plates, was headed for Clanton, Alabama where the couple presumably planned to build a new house

:boggle: :o :boggle: :o :boggle:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Wow. I checked snopes, and this one's actually 7 years old...
True, though. Check out the other photos on the snopes page:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/lumber.asp
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

when i was a kid, i saw a pickup truck with an overfull load of gravel in the back. the truck was sitting on the railroad tracks that crossed the road and all 4 tires were splat horizontal. that must have been quite the bump.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

I am not certain what is so amazing about this photograph. Is it because the wood and stuff weighs so much?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

it has more to do with the people who put the wood on the car. who would put that much wood on a car and not look to see if the car could handle it? that is a heck of a lot of wood that weighs a whole lot. i regularly carry stuff on the room of my car too. i've put as many as six sheet of treated 3/4 inch paneling on my car.

it would be the similar to putting a really good pennywhistle under the foot of your couch. just because it fits, it doesn't mean you'd want to try it.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:Is it because the wood and stuff weighs so much?
yup...all of the wood and the 800 pounds of concrete in the back seat...
that much weight would be too much for this
what might hold it up okay but stopping distance would be compromised.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

how did they get that all up there? :boggle: :lol:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

by themselves of course. anybody with a lick of sense would have stopped them.

while the car was sitting still, everything was balanced nice and even. take a look at the parking lot lines, this car was moved and the weight shifted.

i can help but think that there might have been folks in the parking lot who weren't nice enough to be helpful to stop them but did stay to watch the show.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

I feel sorry for them.

And I don't think we should call them "the dumbest folks on earth..." but I am probably being too philosophical on this one.
alurker

Post by alurker »

I would dearly love to see what the house they built with all this lumber turned out like.

I agree Cranberry. More to be pittied than scorned.

My "physical/mental state" would also be "OTHER than normal" if I had just totalled my car doing something I probably suspected was a bit iffy.
djm

Post by djm »

Read the Snopes link. They did not put it all on there themselves. The bought it all at Home Depot, and DEMANDED the HD people load it on/in their car. The HD people made them sign an waiver saying the "nice people" in the car accpted all responsibility. HD certainly trains their staff well.

djm
Last edited by djm on Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The first post said that Home Depot made them sign a waiver, so I think the people there must have tried to tell them that their car could not haul all that weight and they insisted that they load it on there. I don't know what OTHER than normal means about their mental state----is that saying they were inebriated or what? I guess I have to feel pretty sorry for anyone trying to haul all the stuff to build a house on a little car from one state to another-----the whole deal just sounds sort of sad to me. I mean, couldn't they have gotten the supplies in Alabama? I think there is probably some explanation. I think they need some kind of help. There's some bigger problem here. Well, I guess that's obvious.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

Cranberry wrote:I feel sorry for them.

And I don't think we should call them "the dumbest folks on earth..." but I am probably being too philosophical on this one.
I agree. It's obvious hyperbole. There must be someone dumber than them. :D
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cynth wrote:The first post said that Home Depot made them sign a waiver, so I think the people there must have tried to tell them that their car could not haul all that weight and they insisted that they load it on there. I don't know what OTHER than normal means about their mental state----is that saying they were inebriated or what? I guess I have to feel pretty sorry for anyone trying to haul all the stuff to build a house on a little car from one state to another-----the whole deal just sounds sort of sad to me. I mean, couldn't they have gotten the supplies in Alabama? I think there is probably some explanation. I think they need some kind of help. There's some bigger problem here. Well, I guess that's obvious.
Just about any place will deliver, for a fee. I can't believe they couldn't find what they needed in Alabama and have it delivered.

That poor little car!

They may not be the dumbest people on earth, but they're still pretty darned dumb!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

HampshireWhistler wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I feel sorry for them.

I agree. It's obvious hyperbole. There must be someone dumber than them. :D
But why split hairs, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown