statement about the English

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

If I move to London, can I call myself Bringlish? :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:I had thought that all citizens of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be considered to be British according to a textbook
I'm afraid you are muddying the waters with even more technical terms, here. If someone wanted to denote they were from Great Britain they would be called "Gritish," whereas someone from the United Kingdom would be a "Big YUK."

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

jbarter wrote:
talasiga wrote:There are a lot of Irish people who have British citizenship and passports
Not quite right there Talasiga. It's United Kingdom citizenship and passports being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
http://bhc.britaus.net/passports/passpo ... asp?id=364

QED
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:
Cynth wrote:I had thought that all citizens of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be considered to be British according to a textbook
I'm afraid you are muddying the waters with even more technical terms, here. If someone wanted to denote they were from Great Britain they would be called "Gritish," whereas someone from the United Kingdom would be a "Big YUK."

djm
MOI? Muddying the waters? What if I used those terms and someone beat me up? Let your conscience be your guide, dude :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
alurker

Post by alurker »

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

alurker wrote:Image
BRITISH PASSPORT
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

talasiga wrote:
alurker wrote:Image
BRITISH PASSPORT
Form C-1: official application for a United Kingdom passport(pdf)
Use this form if you are applying for a United Kingdom passport and are a British citizen, British
Overseas Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or British protected person.
/Bloomfield
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

:lol:

BTW, here are some instructions on how to COMPLETELY delete duplicate posts or any post you have made. (For the benefit of alurker etc)

1. You can only do this if there are no posts made by another member AFTER the post you want to delete.
2. If no one has posted after you in the particular topic and you are logged on, you will see that at the top right corner of your post there is a little box with a cross. Click that box and you are on your way to deleting your post.
3. Alternatively, you can take the scenic route, and go into edit and select the "delete post" option.
4. If someone has already posted after you, you will notice that the delete options as described above will not be offered.
5. As at this date provisons relating to British Citizenship are set out in the British Citizenship Act 1981 (UK) and corollary provisions in other acts such as the Immigration Act 1971 (UK). References to "British Passports" and "British Citizenship" are understood, in common reasonably intelligent parlance, in official UK government departments and websites, and, in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons (see Hansard records), as a reference to passports and citizenship relating to citizens and passports of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. These correct references are freely and randomly swapped with other correct references such as United Kingdom Citizenship and United Kingdom Passports in common reasonably intelligent parlance, in official UK government departments and websites, and, in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons (see Hansard records).
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

talasiga wrote:....
As at this date provisons relating to British Citizenship are set out in the British Citizenship Act 1981 (UK) and corollary provisions in other acts such as the Immigration Act 1971 (UK). References to "British Passports" and "British Citizenship" are understood, in common reasonably intelligent parlance, in official UK government departments and websites, and, in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons (see Hansard records), as a reference to passports and citizenship relating to citizens and passports of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. These correct references are freely and randomly swapped with other correct references such as United Kingdom Citizenship and United Kingdom Passports in common reasonably intelligent parlance, in official UK government departments and websites, and, in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons (see Hansard records).
And the main point to note here, which is a point that goes to my primary contribution in this topic, is that the terms English or Welsh, or East Ender or Scottish citizenship and passport will not be encountered in common reasonably intelligent parlance, in official UK government departments and websites, and, in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons (see Hansard records) as a term relating to anyone's official current citizenship status or passport holder status.

For instance this is how the Scottish Parliament handles the concept of "Scottish citizenship":-
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/p ... /QA127.htm
Scotland remains part of the United Kingdom, and immigration and nationality are reserved matters. You should therefore apply for British citizenship, as there is no separate category of Scottish citizenship.

Information on how to obtain British citizenship is available from the Border & Immigration Agency (BIA). The BIA is part of the Home Office, which is a department of the UK Government.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Whew. Started out talking about demonic intentions in literature, and ended up on the definition of British. How conversations do evolve. :lol:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
trill

wyobadger

Post by trill »

hey, wait a minute!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

WyoBadger wrote:Whew. Started out talking about demonic intentions in literature, and ended up on the definition of British. How conversations do evolve. :lol:
have we talked about their food yet?

( I ask you..."Jellified eels"??? :devil: )

Absolute poo, the lot of it...

(with the possible exception of Branston's pickle.) :P
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

and the royal family. we can't forget them.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I found this fascinating and instructive (exerpted from Diseases of the Hair and Scalp, by Rodney P. R. Dawber):

"Pili bifurcati

Pili bifurcati (Weary et al. 1973; Camacho 1976) has been described rarely in the literature and is often interpreted as a form of pili multigemini (Whiting 1987). This may be a mistake based on the notion that two conditions with longitudinal splits in the hair should aetiologically have something in common. The feature distiguishing pili bifurcati from central trichoptilosis (Burkhart et al. 1981), the other form of split hair, is that the split in pili bifurcati hair has circumferential cuticle. This suggests that the division must have arisen in the follicle as distinct from the split of trichoptilosis which reflects trauma to the hair sustained on the scalp surface. However, the setting of the single report of pili bifurcati is more consistent with trauma to the hair shaft or follicle as part of trichotillomania than with the abnormality arising through a form of multigeminate follicle. The case presented and resolved over an 18-month period in a 3-year-old boy with the clinical appearance of self-induced trauma and a high incidence of associated trichorrexis nodes that would be consistent with a traumatic aetiology. It is conceivable that trauma distorts the hair follicle resulting in a temporary production of a split hair."

Interesting that one of the authors cited was named "Weary".

This is not a medical post. :wink:

(Edited to lasso a wayward "O". See my next post.)
Last edited by Nanohedron on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

This is exactly what this whole thread has been about: the story of human follicles and the women who loved them. Surely this was precisely what caused the crew of HMS Bounty to mutiny; their ends split, their follicles damaged beyond all redemption. Who could fault such men for standing upon their last shred of dignity and crying out, "No more!" Or was it, "Pass the cheese." Something like that.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.