OT: Tongue Piercings

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

This is going to be like, a long shot. I'm wondering if there are any flute players in existence who have tongue piercings and if it affects playing the instrument itself. I haven't had my tongue pierced yet...in case there are side effects. I was thinking there might be, since the tongue is used and, well, y'know what I'm trying to say. I know a few people who have had them done, and it doesn't seem to affect them in the least in eating, drinking, smoking, you name it. But none of them play flute so, I'm here. If the metal doesn't affect playing, then I don't see why not :smile: Cheers

~Chih

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psychih on 2002-10-28 12:12 ]</font>
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Smoking?!? Please tell you don't smoke....

And which one are you in that picture anyway?

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2002-10-28 12:28 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Well...if you care at all about the enamel on your teeth I wouldn't suggest you get a tongue piercing.

If you do decide to get it I'm sure you'll figure out ways to adjust...besides..you'll sound totally cool when you talk..like Nirvana.

"It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss
With all these marbles in my mouth"

- Craig
psychih

Post by psychih »

Loren, have you got a lip plate fixed on the Cocus Cannon yet? ...I'm the middle one in red and no, I don't smoke anymore but it's so tempting at times. The flute's the health freak's instrument and the most uncomfortable instrument to play. My neck is hurting. I'm beginning to think that no one else has their tongue pierced, and I don't want to be the first and find out that I can't play flute anymore...

ChihL
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Are you saying you can't resist poking a hole in your tounge and placing a metal bar through it?

I suppose the worst thing that could happen is it could strike a nerve and you might be stuck with slurred speech. Or you might get some reactions if it touches a metal mouthpiece.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-10-28 12:11, psychih wrote:
I haven't had my tongue pierced yet...in case there are side effects.
Let me urge you NEVER do this. You do risk effects from a bad piercing position (such as paralysis of the tip of the tongue), infection, and tooth damage from flailing the thing about. It was scary enough for me after a simple filling. The dental work was easy, but the needle entry for the Novacaine in my jaw managed to injure a nerve (uncommon, but frequent enough) and the tip of my tongue was numb for 6 months (and everything tasted terrible). I could still play, but it wasn't a fun feeling.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Caoimhin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caoimhin »

On 2002-10-29 02:18, kkrell wrote:
Let me urge you NEVER do this. You do risk effects from a bad piercing position (such as paralysis of the tip of the tongue), infection, and tooth damage from flailing the thing about.
That's right! NEVER do those things! Come on Chih, I tried to talk you out of milder things, and now THIS? Come on lah!

Wouldn't want to see a friend have her tongue stuck to a flute's embouchure hole.

(otoh, if it's mild i don't care - it's yourself. but, get your tongue pierced, and you won't get to touch a soon-to-arrive *special* whistle. how's that for evilness)
KT.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Remember that saline solutions connecting dissimilar metals will set up an electrolytic reaction, and corrosion will result. Salt-water boaters with steel or aluminum hulls are familiar with this , and bolt zinc plates to their hulls so they corrode instead of the hull or motor. -You would hate to bolt sacrificial zinc anodes to your metal whistles or worse, to your tongue stud.

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-10-29 11:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-10-29 23:43 ]</font>
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

Non-medical almost-surgical intrusion through specific body parts = skewering (or any other gazillion terms)

So, kids, remember: Don't run around with skewers!

Come on C&Fers, pour more true horror stories and dissuade my friend!
KT.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

brownja

Post by brownja »

Go ahead, get married, buy a house, have a few kids, but don't do anything PERMANENT!!!
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Just think of how much more attractive you'll be....

and the high quality of people you'll attract...

..you go girl!!!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Wow ~ That's Hideous!
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Besides all the risks of damaging the nerves in your tongue and etc, I would think that it would hinder the execution of those Kevin Crawfordish triple tonguing you said you liked not too long ago.
psychih

Post by psychih »

thanks everyone, but since a flute phd said that it does affect playing (or was it tone?). either way, i'm not going to take any chances...and end up having to sell my baby off.