One lesson in good session citizenship -

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Whitmores75087 wrote:... But what really p*sses me off is that I know why I understand their motivation. I'm reminded that I'm vain too. That's ANNOYING!
Tom.
LOL! 'Tiz, innit?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Sunday nights session was crazy, we had 10 fiddlers :o , 2 guitarists, a mando/banjo, 2 accordian/concertina, 2 bohdrans, and us 2 whistlers. one of the fiddlers was a 9 year old girl, and she was just as good as the 60 year olds. i couldnt believe her talent. our session doesnt have a leader, we just show up and play, just come on in the circle, but some will ask you to leave if you arent up to their standards.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hi WC, sounds like you need to break that up into several sessions.
Short bio: 1952-
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I think someone on the board got John Cleese to write this entire topic. I mean: whistling, booted flamenco dancers on table tops; rampant jostling into camera shots; outraged whistles all a'squeak; egos pushing and shoving. Where, I ask, is the deceased parrot? {:-)

Keith.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

anniemcu wrote: The problem for me is that the other players are not likely to feel like standing up and saying that. ... so I end up being the 'bad guy', which I hate... but I would hate being in a session where nothing was done about it more. A bit of a catch 22, i guess.
Well, you're my hero Annie, just keep on being the "bad guy" for your session's sake, I think it's worth it :-)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

some people have a natural gift or skill for being the bad guy. we learn from you when you do that well.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

anniemcu wrote:.......
Then when suddenly nearly half the group steps up to stand in the middle, blocking line of sight, and of hearing, it changes the whole dynamic of the music, and not for the better.
I suspect that some of these upstanders may be pathologically homophobic and the sight of a microphone makes them wary. Ready to run so to speak.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
MTGuru

Re: Cool clip

Post by MTGuru »

cadancer wrote:I met you at the solstice festival. Very cool clip!
Thanks, John, it was nice to meet you, too. Care to teach me a few flamenco steps I can use at Annie's session? :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

anniemcu wrote: . . . or to let the loudmouthed self-imposed 'expert' know that he shouldn't come back...
Tell him not to come back . . . hmmmmm . . . you may be on to something here. This 'leader' thing might be just the ticket.

I would also find this situation very annoying. But as annoying problems go it sounds like a good problem to have compared with not enough players in town willing to put forth some effort to learn a few tunes. Sometimes you have to put up with the bad to enjoy the good, and then again sometimes the problems are easily fixed as long as someone's willing to get their hands a little dirty. I hate being the bad guy too, but I have from time to time when I felt the situation called for it. Wisdom is knowing when and when not. Unfortunately, I've never been terribly wise.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Standing up during a session just because a TV camera shows up? That's just plain weird. And you can tell 'em I said so.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Martin Byrne had a penchant for playing standing up, and you can hear (and see) him doing so on Paddy In the Smoke.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm suspecting it wasn't to do with the thrill of being in the presence of recording devices. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

If you play The Dingle Regatta while standing up, does everyone then have to sit down and get back up when ... well, you know. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

There's no problem with folks standing up to play - once in a while, or if they do so regularly, at least not *in front of* someone else... simple common courtesy (wait... this isn't the oxymoron thread, is it?).

There were suddenly no less than 8 folks standing in the interior of the circle. They seem to see it as 'just being enthusiastic'.

Heck, some folks *always* stand up (I play bass a lot, and I'm not sitting down to do so very often), but they don't plant themselves in front of other players, at least not for long ( :twisted: ) That is just plain rude.
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

River Otter wrote:
anniemcu wrote: . . . or to let the loudmouthed self-imposed 'expert' know that he shouldn't come back...
Tell him not to come back . . . hmmmmm . . . you may be on to something here. This 'leader' thing might be just the ticket.
That guy is strictly hypothetical, though they do show up from time to time at sessions.
I would also find this situation very annoying. But as annoying problems go it sounds like a good problem to have compared with not enough players in town willing to put forth some effort to learn a few tunes. Sometimes you have to put up with the bad to enjoy the good, and then again sometimes the problems are easily fixed as long as someone's willing to get their hands a little dirty. I hate being the bad guy too, but I have from time to time when I felt the situation called for it. Wisdom is knowing when and when not. Unfortunately, I've never been terribly wise.
anniemcu
---
---
---