What is an MP3 player?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
wyatt1

What is an MP3 player?

Post by wyatt1 »

I went to a forum and saw a link that said "The Best Mp3 Players", what are mp3 players and why does everybody talk about them?
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

it's a small device that you can carry around with you. You can store music on it in compressed form, meaning you can, depending on the storage capacity, store hundreds of cds on the player.

btw, these kind of questions belong in the pub, this section of the forum should be only for whistle related questions.
Last edited by amar on Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I just got one of these and LOVE it:

http://www.creative.com/products/produc ... duct=15306

It cost lots less than an iPod Nano, plus it has an FM tuner in it so I can listen to radio.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What is an MP3 player?

Post by MTGuru »

wyatt1 wrote:I went to a forum and saw a link that said "The Best Mp3 Players", what are mp3 players and why does everybody talk about them?
Wow ... an amazing and surprising question.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

amar wrote:it's a small device that you can carry around with you. You can store music on it in compressed form, meaning you can, depending on the storage capacity, store hundreds of cds on the player.

btw, these kind of questions belong in the pub, this section of the forum should be only for whistle related questions.
Gee, I don't know Amar; MP3 players store music, whistles = music, then perhaps whistles = MP3 players? I don't know Amar, pretty rigid construction - you could be a Bush Supreme Court appointee. My vote is MP3 player is music/whistle related.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
amar

Post by amar »

MTGuru wrote:
wyatt1 wrote:I went to a forum and saw a link that said "The Best Mp3 Players", what are mp3 players and why does everybody talk about them?
very. ;)
amar

Post by amar »

PhilO wrote:
amar wrote:it's a small device that you can carry around with you. You can store music on it in compressed form, meaning you can, depending on the storage capacity, store hundreds of cds on the player.

Gee, I don't know Amar; MP3 players store music, whistles = music, then perhaps whistles = MP3 players? I don't know Amar, pretty rigid construction - you could be a Bush Supreme Court appointee. My vote is MP3 player is music/whistle related.

Philo
i prefer bushlessness.. but i ain't going there. :D
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I have a brick of an ipod (massive, but holds 6o gig=20,000ish songs) from 3 years ago, and I wouldn't ever be without it. The great thing about mp3 players (if you get a good one like ipod or Creative) is that you can store a lot of music in one small package, brouse and organize it effectively, and take it almost anywhere. Some even come with mics that you can hook up to, say, record a session or a tinol or whatever...

The only downside is that if you are an audiophile (like moi) you will notice that since the music is compressed, you lose quality of sound, especially in the bass area. There are special headphones that you can buy to eliminate backround noise and equalize sound, add bass, etc., but often they cost more than the mp3 player itself. I have a few good sets: two by Shure (small "in ear phones often used as ear moniters by stage bands), one by ER (also in ear, and fantastic sounding!) and a posh set by Bose (These are, if I may, the shiz!! :lol: Amazing sound, isolation and comfort, but you could buy a few great whistles for the cost of one of these!! :boggle: )
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

it's kind of like a hi-fi, only you don't need to put the penny on the needle arm.

my neighbor who (thinks he) knows everything about music and even has two laser disc players (that's another story) told me one day that he had never seen music in an mp format. i replied to him that i bet he hadn't. he thought they were like cd's.

great question.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It is a Member of Parliament (MP) in the UK, who plays three or more instruments. Exactly who they are is hard to pin down.

Oh my goodness, it's an acoustic replay device as well. Who would have thought it?

BTW, what IS a walnut?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

an aficionado of vertical surfaces?

Jack

Post by Jack »

amar wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
very. ;)
Those of us living in wealthy countries where we can come into contact with MP3 players enough to know what they are are in the vast minority of people. We are exceedingly blessed, and should not be surprised that many people don't know what they are.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

that was a first post question too for someone. we sure didn't represent ourselves well. it's still a funny question though.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

MTGuru wrote:......
I am not surprised by the question and I am not surprised by your surprise. I know about presumptions.

I live in a first world country. I don't have an MP3 player (unless you count my computer). I don't have a CD sound system. I play CD's through the DVD unit attached to my 3rd hand colour TV from 1979 or thereabouts.

I do have two flush dunnies in this house but I don't think that I am anywhere near as effluent as most Americans or the Swiss.
Last edited by talasiga on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
ketida

Post by ketida »

Is a flush dunnie like a dust bunnie?