Augusta Heritage Irish Week 2007

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Cathy Wilde wrote:The ceili band last year was pretty democratic; kind of like a big loud session where no one can really tell whether you're screwing up because they can't hear you anyway. :-) ....lots of people seemed to be able to pick up the majority of the stuff by the dance at the end of the week.
This discussion reminds me of the time, many years ago, when I was at Augusta and playing in the student ceili band. At the Friday night dance, we worked our way through the prepared dance program, for which we had carefully chosen sets of tunes to fit each dance. But at the end of the night the dancers wanted more, and we hadn't prepared for that. So Matt Shortridge, who was leading the ceili band class that year, asked for a suggestion of a tune that most everyone in the band would know. I threw out The Mountain Road, and off we went into it. But the dancers kept on dancing, and after five or six times through that tune - which is played single, not double - we were really ready for a new tune. However, trying to come up with a new tune on the fly and make the switch on the fly when you have over twenty people in the band is well nigh impossible, so we were stuck on The Mountain Road. We must have played it at least twenty times, maybe even thirty, before the dancers finally stopped. It was years before I could stand to play that tune again!
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Oops, double post.
Last edited by Jennie on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

-make that a triple-
Last edited by Jennie on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Oh my. Better pass me some of that port. It's been about three weeks since I've touched a keyboard...

:oops:
Last edited by Jennie on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I really enjoyed Matt Shortridge last year. What a tune encyclopedia he is!

Don't know if I'll do ceili band this time, or give my daughter a chance to get away from me for a little while and learn a little Irish... we'll see.

Thanks for all you patient friends waiting to hear from me. I'm taking a while to return to myself after the school year. Anyhoo, I'll be there with bells on! And a little freer to attend late-night events, with only one daughter in tow.

Jennie
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Hey Jennie,

Good to hear from you.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Steffi

Post by Steffi »

Thanks for the information!
We registered Monday on line for Joanie Madden’s whistle class and the ceili band. My dad called to verify that Joanie’s class was not full and a staff member told him that I was registered but that on the first day of class the people would be split up between John Skelton and Joanie Madden. He said they would make sure that I would be in the right class for my skill level. The staff member didn’t explain how it would be done but said it would be determined on the first day of class.
So, I’m not quite sure what to expect…How do they plan on determining who goes where?
Well, either way I’m really looking forward to Augusta and hopefully to meeting you all.
Thanks again!

~Steffi
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks for that info, Steffi. I was wondering why I had received welcome letters from both whistle instructors.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Is there cell phone reception up there in the mountains? I noticed in the informational letter it talks about bringing a phone to plug into the outlets in the dorms.

Just wondering....

I'm looking forward to Augusta!

Thanks for the info, Jeanie
dow

Post by dow »

Hoovorff wrote:Is there cell phone reception up there in the mountains? I noticed in the informational letter it talks about bringing a phone to plug into the outlets in the dorms.

Just wondering....

Hey Jeanie,

I've got T-mobile, and it worked just fine last year. Sorry, I can't say about the other carriers.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Meadhbh

Post by Meadhbh »

Hoovorff wrote:Is there cell phone reception up there in the mountains? I noticed in the informational letter it talks about bringing a phone to plug into the outlets in the dorms.

Just wondering....

I have Sprint and my husband has Cingular...both of us had service in Elkins. During the drive up and back, there were some areas that were very weak or we did not have a signal though.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Verizon ... the phone worked, but the messaging and email and stuff on it didn't. It was kind of refreshing, really. I am pretty sure they have a wireless hotspot in the lobby of the student building, at least -- it was funny to see all my favorite Irish trad "rock stars" busily checking their email, etc. on their little MacBooks, etc.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
squeezebox99

hello from oregon

Post by squeezebox99 »

Hey
My friend Caty and I are coming from Oregon. We're flying into DCA the night before and driving down. It's possible we could carpool if anyone is on the way.
We're both bringing whistles, but I'm really more a fiddler and an accordion player than a whistler. I don't want to get stuck in the beginning class (I have a Ph.D. in music so maybe they'll have pity on me) - but I might do it if the whistle class is jammed to the gills.

I will bring my fiddle and my accordionthen I'll switch with someone if I have to. As for the mini-classes, I'd rather get together with other people and make our own little jam band and work on tunes. I'm a newbie to Irish - I play old time, jazz and classical - I know some reels, jigs, etc., but don't have a huge repertoire.

ANyway - see everyone there. My friend Catie is a superb flute player. She might bring her regular flute she says - but I think she should get an irish one. ANy suggestions on something decent I could buy for her for less than maybe $100? I'm open to getting something used of course.
She has a dixon whistle which she loves.
OK
over and out.
Margaret
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hey folks,
This is my first time at Augusta. Can someone explin to me how the Ceili band works? Do you have to sign up in advance? Are they charging extra for this? Do people meet like a regularly scheduled class?

Arbo
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

ImNotIrish wrote:Hey folks,
This is my first time at Augusta. Can someone explin to me how the Ceili band works? Do you have to sign up in advance? Are they charging extra for this? Do people meet like a regularly scheduled class?

Arbo
Hi Arbo --

We signed up when we got there last year. I think it's $40 this year (it was $35 last year). It's a regularly scheduled class; meets right after dinner every night when some of the other mini-classes are going on. A couple of instructors run the thing and tell you how it works, rehearse the band, etc. If they do it like they have in previous years, the band will play for the ceili the last night of the camp. It's a hoot! :-)

Hope that helps. We still haven't decided yet whether we're in or not, but I think we'll sign up again.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.