Kilts?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

djm wrote:I don't think the camo stuff is such a mystery. It has been all the rage amongst kids for several years with all the movies coming out about SEALS and Rangers, etc. Even stylishly cut (read super-baggy) stuff for kids is available in camo. Its the usual thing of trying to be cool by associating with the image of really big, strong guys who do tough, manly things.

Works for adults, too. :wink: :D

djm
I wear camo when I'm bowhunting. Not the orange kind, but the real stuff. Interestingly, I also have a more-or-less hodden grey wool sweater which is one of the most versitile pieces of camo I own--blends in with pretty near any terrain--including semi-formal dinners! Smells like a dead animal when it gets wet, though.

Anyway, the point of all this camo is to not be seen. I usually change out of it when I return to town. It still strikes me as a bit crazy, walking around town wearing Realtree brown. But then, I'm not one to take my technical frame pack to the grocery store, either. :)

I'd love to try bowhunting in a kilt...but my clan Gunn great plaid is too bulky and too expensive to risk getting blood and dirt on. A small kilt would be GREAT for stalking, though.

There used to be a website where one could design ones own tartan pattern, and the company would weave the fabric and make a kilt from it. I once designed a perfect Wyoming hunting kilt--grey-brown background, large spruce green stripes, fine black and dark red stripes. It would blend in about anywhere, and looked quite dashing, if I may say so. But I couldn't afford to buy it. :cry:

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

You know, there are some pretty strange looking kilts or kilt ensembles out there. Camo is starting to sound better all the time.

Is this the Paul Bunyan kilt? The Minnesota? The Lumberjack?
I'm sure this man is very nice, but if you were walking in the woods and suddenly came across him wouldn't you feel sort of........scared?
ImageImage

What do we call this? The Tiki Kilt?
Last edited by Cynth on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:A tool kilt just seems paler by comparison.
But what about those rivets? OOOooooooo! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I have three kilts, each of which is in some variation of my clan colours. I'm sure the utilikilt is quite nice, but I've no need for one.

I am also baffled by all the civilian kids I see running around in camo. Speaking for myself, I'm sick of camo and eagerly await the day when I will never have to wear it again.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

WyoBadger wrote:There used to be a website where one could design ones own tartan pattern, and the company would weave the fabric and make a kilt from it.
House of Tartan Interactive Weaver
alurker

Post by alurker »

Cynth wrote:.... The Lumberjack?
I'm sure this man is very nice, but if you were walking in the woods and suddenly came across him wouldn't you feel sort of........scared?
ImageImage
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavat'ry
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I love to press wild flow'rs
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa
Song audio file
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

Looking for Camo bagpipes to go with that kilt?????????????

http://www.pipefetish.com/
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nanohedron wrote:Image
Out of the eyes of babes.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Word has it that during the 1950s and 1960s, Edinburgh Corporation Transport would not allow a kilt-wearing gentleman upstairs on their trams, in fear of frightening the downstairs passengers.

Well, this is frightening from any angle. On the other hand, I wouldn't style him a gentleman in any case. And if he's a Scot - which I majorly doubt - he should have his license revoked.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Not only can you buy contemporary kilts these days but you can get sporrans as well. My brother is getting one custom made for his wedding so he's a little different from the rest of us who will be in more traditional garb:

http://www.sporran-nation.co.uk/
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

"so...do scottish crossdressers wear pants?"

--a friend of mine, seeing me in a kilt for the first time
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

chrisoff wrote:Not only can you buy contemporary kilts these days but you can get sporrans as well. My brother is getting one custom made for his wedding so he's a little different from the rest of us who will be in more traditional garb:

http://www.sporran-nation.co.uk/
I've always wanted a sporran with a jolly roger on it...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Is the sporran that hairy/leather/tassled thing that hangs between a Scotsman's legs?

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Anstapa wrote:Is the sporran that hairy/leather/tassled thing that hangs between a Scotsman's legs?

Anstapa
If ever there were a loaded question...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Oh! I forgot that I had another question, what is that little thing a Scotsman sticks into his socks below his kilt? I think his name is Dirk???

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film