10 years later...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is your opinion of the Spice Girls?

COLOURS OF THE WORLD, SPICE UP YOUR LIFE!
7%
Why are you even asking?
63%
30%

Total votes: 30

Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

emmline wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:But it's staring me in the face, I'm sure, if only I could grasp it...
Are you that short IB?
Not as short as some people I could mention.

Some things just hit you in the eye. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Anstapa wrote:More my speed:

Anstapa
There are Old Spice brand versions of men's body wash out there now. My ex-boyfriend used to use the Red Zone kind. It smells really good. I started using it because it reminded me of him, and now I still use it. I wonder if they use real spices in it though?
chrisoff wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Some TV show a few years back (I think it was Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect) had a poll asking which was more like a real band -- Spinal Tap or Spice Girls.

Spinal Tap won by better than a 2 to 1 margin.
Good, Spice Girls are a group, not a band.
I agree. With the exception of Melanie Chisolm (who has released all kinds of material on her own), none of them really showed any real musical talent. But that's not even the point. The point was (and is) about having fun. That's why I love them. :D
Last edited by Jack on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Well, I always thought they were kind of fun.

And I was also dragged to their movie, since my son was in love with them then....

M

(although I really think that Posh is the scariest looking of the Spices...)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: (although I really think that Posh is the scariest looking of the Spices...)
Post-Spice Girls, Victoria Beckham suffered with a few mental problems, including severe eating disorders. I think that can make you look weird...
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Entirely beside the point I'm sure, but I've always had a natural aversion to anything "pop." Spice Girls were about as "pop" as it gets.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

My favorite spice...

I'm partial to basil, too.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Here's a "Then-and-now" picture of the spicies...
Not sure a reunion tour will be quite the same.

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 10 years later...

Post by brewerpaul »

Cranberry wrote:I still listen to the Spice Girls.

It's what I grew up on.

They're such drag queens. I love them.

:D
My wife and I went to see a couple of drag queens in Provincetown, MA a couple of years ago. We had a great time and I thought that they were pretty convincing women, but these Spice Girl guys REALLY look authentic! :P
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jack

Post by Jack »

brewerpaul wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I still listen to the Spice Girls.

It's what I grew up on.

They're such drag queens. I love them.

:D
My wife and I went to see a couple of drag queens in Provincetown, MA a couple of years ago. We had a great time and I thought that they were pretty convincing women, but these Spice Girl guys REALLY look authentic! :P
Some of the best drag queens I've ever seen have been biological women. :P

A lot of people think drag queens are men who dress like women and entertain--but seriously, how many women do you know who have three feet-high neon orange hair and eight-inch heels? It's about being over the top, and you don't have to be born a man to do that. I think the Spice Girls succeed. :)
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry wrote:A lot of people think drag queens are men who dress like women and entertain--but seriously, how many women do you know who have three feet-high neon orange hair and eight-inch heels? It's about being over the top, and you don't have to be born a man to do that.
Now, see, this is where our traditional values are falling apart.

Back in my day, to be a drag queen, you had to be a man. Not negotiable. Nowadays, with all this loosey-goosey stuff going on, all the old norms are out the window. I don't know what to say to the kids any more. What's the world coming to?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Jerry Freeman wrote: What's the world coming to?
Good question.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Cranberry wrote:A lot of people think drag queens are men who dress like women and entertain--but seriously, how many women do you know who have three feet-high neon orange hair and eight-inch heels? It's about being over the top, and you don't have to be born a man to do that.

Back in my day, to be a drag queen, you had to be a man. Not negotiable. Nowadays, with all this loosey-goosey stuff going on, all the old norms are out the window. I don't know what to say to the kids any more. What's the world coming to?

Best wishes,
Jerry
...and the voice of reason speaks. :D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Jerry Freeman wrote:

Best wishes,
Jerry
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Jerry, you are a genius. :lol:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, for crying out loud. What's with this fluffy all-genders-are-equal-doing-drag schtick? There is NO way that I, a man, could ever qualify, precisely because of my gender, as a "drag king". It flies in the face of reason. It's not the purpose of the genre. A woman done up in the drag style is no more a drag queen than my cat is a dog. Such a woman is merely a ringer emulating the genre, nothing more.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician