Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cocusflute

Clips posted

Post by cocusflute »

The thread lives!
It's great that we're all doing this. And talking about music and playing rather than being compulsive about the hardware.
Hans pointed this out. Good to keep in mind (hey Markus)--
I am observing that mp3 files with the extension .mp3 are opening in a player window and start playing automatically, whereas files with extension .MP3 are opening to be downloaded first. So watch out and make your files with lower case letters as SomeFileName.mp3
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have added a few new tunes. I thinks the levels may be a bit high, sorry about that. Thanks for listening. Comments welcome.

reels: elsie brogan's/?/pigtown fling
reels: drunken tinker/famous ballymote
jigs:Max's fancy/mist covered mtn.

http://www.box.net/shared/isthhambg5
Markus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Markus »

Thanks Cocus, just noticed the extension business after posting. Will do some renaming and posting new clips soon-ish... ;)
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Clip - The Rainy Day

Post by Rob Sharer »

Well...rather unexpectedly, I found myself behind a couple of aul' microphones 'round at Casa Del Cocus on a rainy day in Kilshanny, and before I knew it the obvious tune for the day was recorded for posterity.

It's my long-lost Wylde flute, an Olwell headjoint, and I was drinking green tea and eating sourdough bread with good butter just before.

Rob

p.s. Changed my signature link, so here's that Rainy Day, so to speak:

http://www.box.net/shared/hsuzgil10l

...and here are the "Doolin Rudalls"

http://www.box.net/shared/qynsbrn6m9
Last edited by Rob Sharer on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cocusflute

New Years Eve in early summer

Post by cocusflute »

Rob Sharer and I were playing a couple of elderly Rudalls. The first tune we played was New Year's Eve, the Tommy Coen three-part reel. It was so much fun that we decided to post a duet clip since there was none posted thus far. It was a spur of the moment thing. No practice, no agreement on tempo or ornamentation. Just two friends sitting around on a rainy day.
After we played New Year's Eve I asked Rob what version of The Rainy Day he played. The above clip was the result.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Nice clips all, David thanks for starting this thread, maybe a good way to share tunes in general.

Here are my initial contributions. We recorded these tunes with a little handheld recorder at the session I host here in Phoenix.

Rock the Bunnies

The Wedding Reel

I used a Boosey Pratten for both recordings.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Here's another session clip, this one was recorded at a session in England last summer. Nice waltz called the Jewels of the Ocean. I play lead on another Boosey Pratten on this one, Chris Wilkes plays harmonies on one of my Rudalls. None of the musicians had played this tune together before, Chris never even heard it before, came out really nice, well we thought anyway ;-)

The Jewels of the Ocean
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

Here are two jigs I have been playing recently in a set along with a John Brady tune. I don't have names for either, so if anyone has some, please let me know

two jigs

I've also swapped out the old recording of the one step with a new one that is a smaller file size so hopefully that will work better for people.

one step and a reel

The playing isn't great, but I get in front of a microphone and all of the sudden I get nervous.

Thanks,
Brendan[/url]
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I've switched tunes around again. Trying to get the hang of this new recorder. Anyway, there's a reel (I don't have the name) and a couple of jigs: christy barry's/gander at the pratie hole.

Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/isthhambg5
michael c

Post by michael c »

I've a few clips here:

http://irishflute.podbean.com/
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

ImNotIrish wrote: Anyway, there's a reel (I don't have the name) and a couple of jigs: christy barry's/gander at the pratie hole.
I believe the reel is called Free and Easy. Frankie Gavin has it on his CD Fierce Traditional, and I'm sure others have recorded it as well.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Brendan, the second jig is called "I shall wean her", John Williams' rendition of this beautiful jig in his CD 'Steam' is touching. Thanks for posting this one. I find stuff to work with in it.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
cocusflute

Clips from Kevin Crawford

Post by cocusflute »

http://www.lunasa.ie/kevinsTunes.php?clip=1

Tom Busbys Jig
The Leading Role
Green fields of Rossbeigh
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I am staying (visiting) somewhere at the moment that has broadband (rather than my usual slow pace Australian dialup) net connection.

Dear monkey587,
I have had an opportunity to listen to a lot of clips at p.1 in the Posting Clips topic. I like your playing of "Walls of Liscarrol ". Whether its deliberate or not, you have a very distinctive sense of rhythm and a personable voicing in your playing which is nice. I felt the spirit of that piece and was moved.

[edit by addendum in green]
Last edited by talasiga on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Sylvester wrote:Brendan, the second jig is called "I shall wean her", John Williams' rendition of this beautiful jig in his CD 'Steam' is touching. Thanks for posting this one. I find stuff to work with in it.
I've always heard it called "I ne'er shall wean her"
William Bajzek