A New Firefly Fan

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gregdidge
antispam: No

A New Firefly Fan

Post by gregdidge »

Due to an earlier thread about the movie "Serenity" I rented the movie, my family and I watched it and we all were instant fans. For Fathers Day my wife and kids gave me the Firefly boxed set. We just finished the first disc. We all love the show and can't wait to see the next episode.
I wanted to thank all of you who have posted about the show and movie, because I would not have found it without you! :D
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Almost painful for me to watch now, I loved that show so much. Hope that it will ever be back is lost, I'm afraid.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

The Firefly DVD set is our "old reliable". (As in, "There's nothing worth watching on TV. Let's watch an episode of Firefly; at least we know it's good.")
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

jsluder wrote:The Firefly DVD set is our "old reliable". (As in, "There's nothing worth watching on TV. Let's watch an episode of Firefly; at least we know it's good.")
We do that too!

I'm rather sad that I didn't really get into Firefly when it was on the air...my husband's been a fan since the word go, and I occasionally watched an episode with him and agreed that it was a great show (but, to be honest, I'm totally clueless about when things are on, so I missed more than I watched). A couple of years ago, I got him the boxed set for Christmas, and we've both enjoyed it ever since. Our daughter's even become a fan!

We've started doing that with other "off the air" TV shows too. We both loved "Northern Exposure" when it was on, so now that's our default, if nothing good is on, and we've overdone recently on the "Firefly."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Redwolf wrote:
jsluder wrote:The Firefly DVD set is our "old reliable". (As in, "There's nothing worth watching on TV. Let's watch an episode of Firefly; at least we know it's good.")
We do that too!

I'm rather sad that I didn't really get into Firefly when it was on the air...my husband's been a fan since the word go, and I occasionally watched an episode with him and agreed that it was a great show (but, to be honest, I'm totally clueless about when things are on, so I missed more than I watched). A couple of years ago, I got him the boxed set for Christmas, and we've both enjoyed it ever since. Our daughter's even become a fan!

Redwolf
Well, actually, it may be a stroke of luck that, like most fans, you didn't get into it when it aired. Part of the problem was that, at the beginning of the season, they went out of order. I think they ran the pilot, then a lot of time passed, and the ran "The Train Robbery" or whatever that one's called. So, in a sense, the series started without the background which would have been helpful.

I had actually never even HEARD of the series until it was long gone.

Dale
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I was turned on to Firefly by a gaming buddy of mine. He recommended Firefly to me, I recommended Lost to him (this was between the first and second seasons of Lost). Anyways, we made a pact that if I bought Firefly on DVD, he would buy Lost. Neither of us had seen each other's shows. Anyways, I fell in love with Firefly, not sure if he ended up ever watching Lost. I went to one of the Serenity benefit screenings here in San Diego last year and it was great fun.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I was severely disappointed by the time I finished the movie. My wife and I spent several weeks watching the show, and then it that was it! There are far, far too few episodes.

Afterwards I thought I'd show my wife Farscape, only to find that the DVDs are next to impossible to find. Apparently a new release of the DVDs is in the works and the old ones have gone out of print.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Recently, someone on the board suggested The Lost Room, a 5 hr miniseries from sci-fi channel. I've seen the first disc and I'm crawling out of my skin waiting for the second one to arrive in the mail. Another great little series to recommend. Totally different from anything on tv (which I have to admit, I don't watch).
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D good! It's in the queue waiting for the return of the rainy season
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Firefly was the perfect combination of good writing, good actors, good directors, good effects and good music. That's exceedingly rare for any TV show. I have watched a lot of SF television -- some of it very good -- but I have never seen that kind of all round quality in a TV show before.

I understand a special 2 DVD edition of the Serenity movie is out this month. With the original DVD and the HD DVD release, this is the third offering of Serenity from Universal. I have already purchased the Firefly boxed set, the movie DVDs, the music CD from the show, the music CD from the movie and I just ordered the Firefly sheet music from Amazon. I imagine I will break down and buy this DVD set too.

And I don't consider myself a rabid fan. There are all kinds of supplemental CDs, DVDs, books. podcasts, songs and other paraphernalia available for the hard core. My daughter even has a Jayne hat!

Fox screwed up bigtime. This could have become a franchise as big as StarTrek. I can only hope that the Universal executives recognize the potential and give us new Firefly in some form.

(And, Dale, they didn't even air the pilot until AFTER the show was canceled. I think someone at Fox must have hated this show.)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

swizzlestick wrote:(And, Dale, they didn't even air the pilot until AFTER the show was canceled. I think someone at Fox must have hated this show.)
Yeah, the pilot was one of the last episodes they aired.
I don't know if this was necessarily a bad decision, though.
I saw commericials leading up to the launch of the series,
and I said "Cowboys in space! This I gotta see." I made
my wife watch the first episode with me, though she was
skeptical. But it turned out The Train Robbery was an
excellent first episode, and we were hooked immediately.

When we eventually saw the pilot, I was glad that it wasn't
aired first. It had a very different feel to it, and I don't know
if my wife would have been so interested (though I would
probably have given it a second chance). The only thing that
confused me before I saw the pilot is that the commercials
showed River naked in a box (a scene from the pilot), but
that scene wasn't aired until near the end...
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

beowulf573 wrote:I was severely disappointed by the time I finished the movie. My wife and I spent several weeks watching the show, and then it that was it! There are far, far too few episodes.

Afterwards I thought I'd show my wife Farscape, only to find that the DVDs are next to impossible to find. Apparently a new release of the DVDs is in the works and the old ones have gone out of print.

I was so sad by the time I saw the movie too. I mentioned to my friend that I wanted to go see the movie Serenity. He then informed me that it used to be a show so before I saw the movie I had to buy the box set and watch all the episodes. By the time I got around to seeing the movie I was so sad that such a thing that brilliant could be cut so short.

I thought they already started making the newer DVDs. Makes me angry that I already own the older sets. Owell. Great series as well with great acting and depth of story. Such range of episodes too from super-serious to very comedic.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Anglorfin wrote:
I thought they already started making the newer DVDs. Makes me angry that I already own the older sets.
They are playing fair this time. It's the same move; not a director's cut or anything like that. It has a second CD of extras, some additional commentary if you like someone talking in the middle of your movie, some new artwork on the package.

I am happy to see Universal make some more money. They took a big risk financing the movie and it didn't do much more than break even in the theaters. (This is an educated guess. They don't release those figures.)

If they make a significant profit, it will be from DVD sales and authorized merchandise. And -- while it must be considered a long shot -- it is possible that a series or another movie might be made. After all, when was the last time a TV show canceled in the middle of the first season became a movie?
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

swizzlestick wrote:I am happy to see Universal make some more money. They took a big risk financing the movie and it didn't do much more than break even in the theaters. (This is an educated guess. They don't release those figures.)
According to the Wikipedia article, the film brought in "a worldwide
total of $38.8 million, slightly less than the film's $40 million budget,
which does not include the promotion and advertising costs."
swizzlestick wrote:If they make a significant profit, it will be from DVD sales and authorized merchandise. And -- while it must be considered a long shot -- it is possible that a series or another movie might be made.
It appears that FOX still owns the rights to any Firefly TV series,
and Joss Whedon refuses to work with FOX anymore. (He once
said, "when Firefly was cancelled, my heart got broke.") He also
seems indifferent about a movie sequel. I think he personally
needed to step away and do other things. Luckily, most of the
characters left alive after the film are portrayed by actors with
bad agents. None of them seem to be able to get on a bankable
show, so they might all be available if anything were to change...
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

fearfaoin wrote:None of them seem to be able to get on a bankable
show, so they might all be available if anything were to change...
Summer Glau appears to be doing alright. She's going to be a terminator in the Sarah Conners Chronicles.