Kilts?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Kilts?

Post by Nanohedron »

No, I don't wear one. There are enough of 'em to be seen in the disreputable establishments I hang out in, though. And I do mean enough. :wink:

Anyway, you always see in addition to the "real thing" your 20th-century utilikilt, complete with cargo pockets, and any variation thereof. Last evening during a session a fellow came in bedecked in leather and a kilty thing patterned in digital camo. Naturally there was a clucking of tongues, but I informed my sessionmates that camo was the hereditary pattern of Clan Destine.

Now you know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Anstapa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anstapa »

Camo utility kilts today...not as far fetched idea with a connection to history.

From the London Scottish Regiment history page.
o, in 1859, sponsored by The Highland Society of London and The Caledonian Society of London, a group of individual Scots raised The London Scottish Rifle Volunteers under the command of Lt Col Lord Elcho, later The Earl of Wemyss and March. He decided to clothe the Regiment in Hodden Grey, the homespun cloth known throughout Scotland.
Lord Elcho, Earl of Wemyss and March.

This avoided all interclan feeling on the subject of tartan and, as Lord Elcho said "A soldier is a man hunter. As a deer stalker chooses the least visible of colours, so ought a soldier to be clad." The only regiments wearing Hodden Grey are The London Scottish and The Toronto Scottish. The first Honorary Colonel of the Regiment was Field Marshall Lord Clyde (Sir Colin Campbell). Lord Elcho commanded the Regiment for 19 years and then became Honorary Colonel from 1878 to 1900.

Hodden Grey uniform was supposedly the first camo uniform in the British Army. I wore the Hodden Grey as a member of the Toronto Scottish militia unit.

Go here for a picture of a Pipe Major decked out in full uniform:

http://www.bagpipejourney.com/images/Qu ... Spoore.jpg

Best

Antsapa
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i like the sound, where do i get one? :D
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
izzarina

Re: Kilts?

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:Naturally there was a clucking of tongues, but I informed my sessionmates that camo was the hereditary pattern of Clan Destine.
:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Nanohedron wrote:No, I don't wear one. There are enough of 'em to be seen in the disreputable establishments I hang out in, though. And I do mean enough. :wink:

Anyway, you always see in addition to the "real thing" your 20th-century utilikilt, complete with cargo pockets, and any variation thereof. Last evening during a session a fellow came in bedecked in leather and a kilty thing patterned in digital camo. Naturally there was a clucking of tongues, but I informed my sessionmates that camo was the hereditary pattern of Clan Destine.

Now you know.
I work in a kilt just about every day...(changing out of it as fast as possible in this weather...)
..but I gotta draw the line at cammies + leather...
(although, pockets would be helpful...) :party:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I like Utilikilts...though I have the "Mocker" model, with internal pockets, rather than cargo pockets. Not a fan of the camo, though
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I am so naive that I didn't have a clue about camo kilts, not realizing that camo was an abbreviation for camouflage. Here is a link to some photos:
http://www.pittsburghkilts.com/camo.shtml
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

CHasR wrote:(although, pockets would be helpful...) :party:
I once said to a kilted local raconteur, "So, is that money in your sporran or are you just happy to see me?" He looked up and snapped, "Neither one!"
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:He looked up and snapped, "Neither one!"
Must be cucumber season.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Nanohedron wrote:
CHasR wrote:(although, pockets would be helpful...) :party:
I once said to a kilted local raconteur, "So, is that money in your sporran or are you just happy to see me?" He looked up and snapped, "Neither one!"
:D :D :D :D :P
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hmmmm.....
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The Appalachia trail town of Damascus,VA has a Trail Day whoop-ee in the spring that our pipe band often plays for-it's strictly a freebe, just plain fun. Talk about strange- as we use to say back in the olden days "lotta freaks" here's a link-http://www.traildays.info/

That's the first time I saw the "utility kilts"- a lot of the men hiking the trail wear them. They say they can't be beat for hiking garb.

It seems that I am never comfortable in my band kilt. It's either too cold or too hot, never a happy medium.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
alurker

Post by alurker »

I believe that to be a pretty floral skirt .

Worn, no doubt, by a big girl's blouse.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

izzarina wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Naturally there was a clucking of tongues, but I informed my sessionmates that camo was the hereditary pattern of Clan Destine.
:lol:
Okay, I finally got it. That's funny.

Camo kilts don't do it for me. Not at all.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

A Camo kilt would look great with MY leather jacket! I still can't get my girlfriend to let me get ANY kilt though. She can't be convinced that kilts are for men.