You'll be seeing less of me at the NorCal gatherings...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

You'll be seeing less of me at the NorCal gatherings...

Post by Redwolf »

30 pounds less! I officially hit the 30 pound mark this week!

I still have another 30 to go to get to my ideal weight, but I'm halfway there!

I had it brought home to me just how much 30 pounds is when I was lifting a large bag of dog food into the trunk of my car the other day. I looked down at it, saw the weight printed on the front, and said "my God...to think I've been hauling THAT up and down the stairs for the past several years. No wonder I have bad knees1 :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Go Wolfie! Go Wolfie! Yay Red!!!!!!!!!!!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
mkchen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mkchen »

Heartiest congratulations to whatever's left of you, and good riddance to the 30 lbs you lost! Your epiphany is just what I try to get across to my overweight patients when they come to me complaining of lower back pain (or knee pain, or they just can't control their diabetes, or their blood pressure, or their cholesterol, etc., etc.). Except with my patients it's a 25 lb sack of rice, or masa, as they are mostly immigrants.

All the best as you keep paring down to the real you!

Ming
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: You'll be seeing less of me at the NorCal gatherings...

Post by anniemcu »

Redwolf wrote:I had it brought home to me just how much 30 pounds is when I was lifting a large bag of dog food into the trunk of my car the other day. I looked down at it, saw the weight printed on the front, and said "my God...to think I've been hauling THAT up and down the stairs for the past several years. No wonder I have bad knees1 :lol:

Redwolf
Isn't it rather ironic that by carrying weights while we exercise, we can increase the workout, but it doesn't work when the weight we are carrying is our very own?!?

sigh
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

anniemcu wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I had it brought home to me just how much 30 pounds is when I was lifting a large bag of dog food into the trunk of my car the other day. I looked down at it, saw the weight printed on the front, and said "my God...to think I've been hauling THAT up and down the stairs for the past several years. No wonder I have bad knees1 :lol:

Redwolf
Isn't it rather ironic that by carrying weights while we exercise, we can increase the workout, but it doesn't work when the weight we are carrying is our very own?!?

sigh
You know, it does actually. That's one reason why early weight loss (the first 10 pounds or so) is considerably easier than the last 10 pounds...you have more mass to move, and you have to work harder to do it. By the time you're 10 or so pounds from your goal weight, you're also so much fitter that an extra 10 pounds doesn't add so much to your workout.

I really have found finding equivalents for the weight I've lost encouraging as I've lost it. Two pounds doesn't seem like much until you pick up a two-pound ankle weight . 18 pounds didn't seem like much until I had to lug my dog up and down the stairs 20 times a day. And wow...that 30 pound bag of dog food is HEAVY!

The biggest reward for me, however, has been the clothes. I started this diet/exercise program at the beginning of Lent, and had promised myself a new pair of jeans if I'd dropped a pants size by Easter. The Saturday after Easter I took myself down to The Gap and discovered that I hadn't lost one size, I'd lost lost 3...from an 18 to a 12!

My long-term goal to lose that last 30 pounds before I go to Ireland next summer. My short-term goal is to lose another 10 before the NorCal gathering. If I meet that goal, I'm buying myself a really kick-a** pair of boots...something that will look great with jeans or a long skirt.

Redwolf
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Way to go Redwolf.

My goal is about 30 pounds. I put on about 12 pounds this past winter. I have managed to lose that and want to lose another 18 to 20 pounds. Like you wrote, it is more difficult to lose as a person gets lighter.

Also like you, if I meet my goal, I tell myself I will buy myself a nice reward.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well Done, Red!

You have my sympathy for the knees. I suffer too.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Redwolf wrote:You know, it does actually. That's one reason why early weight loss (the first 10 pounds or so) is considerably easier than the last 10 pounds...you have more mass to move, and you have to work harder to do it.
SIGH! But why doesn't chasing after little ones do it? I swear, I do that all day long, and not a pound is shed :sniffle:

Congratulations, Red!!! :party: How totally awesome for you!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm

Post by djm »

Redwolf wrote:30 pounds less!
I think I found them for you. You can have 'em back any time.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

Yay!! Congrats! Feels good, yeah? :D
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Can I ask what you've been doing to lose weight? I know that what works is different for everybody-- but I always like to ask-- just in case somebody came up with the exact method that will work for me....... :)

Congrats on your progress!!!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Wow, congratulations. I admire the willpower it takes to do something like that.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Caroluna wrote:Can I ask what you've been doing to lose weight? I know that what works is different for everybody-- but I always like to ask-- just in case somebody came up with the exact method that will work for me....... :)

Congrats on your progress!!!
Unfortunately, the only way I can lose weight is by severely restricting calories (and when I say severe, I mean fewer than 1000 calories a day total...counted before exercise). It's a hell of a way to have to live, but I've been playing this game off and on all my life and, despite the meddling of God knows how many doctors and nutritionists, it's the only thing that works. Even once I get to my goal weight, I won't dare exceed 1200 a day, or it will start going up again.

I can't tell you how much I envy people who can just relax and eat until they're comfortable...I've just never been one of those. If I don't carefully weigh and measure every bite that goes into my mouth, the weight just starts climbing again.

Redwolf
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Congratulations! :party: That is a real accomplishment. I hope you will be able to notice an improvement in your knees.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca