Keeping the right hand little finger down?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sinebar

Keeping the right hand little finger down?

Post by sinebar »

Is it appropriate to always keep the RH little finger down while playing the D high whistle? It seems to help stablize the whistle.
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

If it works for you, sure. Some people do, some don't. Personally, my little finger is down a lot of the time, but not always. It comes up when I do E rolls and so on.
Last edited by seisflutes on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Keeping the right hand little finger down?

Post by anniemcu »

sinebar wrote:Is it appropriate to always keep the RH little finger down while playing the D high whistle? It seems to help stablize the whistle.
I do. Now, whether that makes any difference to the experts or not is another question... :lol:

This question has been asked here before, and think the concensus was that 'if it works for you...'
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

it is all of what you like, if you want it up like sipping a cup of tea, then have it up. if you want it down, then keep it down. whatever is most comfy for you.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
sinebar

Post by sinebar »

The Whistle Collector wrote:it is all of what you like, if you want it up like sipping a cup of tea, then have it up. if you want it down, then keep it down. whatever is most comfy for you.
Thanks all, I can control the whistle better by keeping the pinky down so I will continue. I just didn't want to develop a bad habbit.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

:D glad you found the way
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well for me since I'm a left handed player, it would be my left pinky that isn't always down...

I've always played whistle with the bottom hand pinky off the barrel of the whistle, although it does move up and down free from hitting the whistle when I go to play E rolls, or simply transitioning from or to E; although when that happens the pinky is left relaxed, and therefore curled. But this is me.

I think it's all about what works for you, and this is just one of those things, you have to decide what works for you best.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I saw a guy once who played with his upper thumb OFF the whistle most of the time, using his lips and his lower thumb to hold it in place. I wondered if it gave him some advantage in A and B rolls but when I tried it it didn't help.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

whatever works :D :D
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i find sticking my pinky out is a great way to get invitations to teas. folks know i will have wonderful manners when i can play a set and never once lower my pinky.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I usually play with the whistle mostly off of the tube. One some notes (like C#) the pinkie comes down below the bottom note to stabilize the whistle.

more and more, though, I'm finding myself keeping the bottom hole(s) closed, after reading about it on Brother Steve's site (which seems to be down at this exact moment :().
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Wanderer wrote:I usually play with the whistle mostly off of the tube. One some notes (like C#) the pinkie comes down below the bottom note to stabilize the whistle.
When this happens, I just use the B3 finger, or the ring finger on the bottom hand, on the B3 hole to play C#. Although I can think of at least one tune (Tobin's Favorite) where I leave B1 and B2 down and B3 is left up for one of those passages in the tune, but this is me however. Brother Steve's section on Not Lifting a Finger has some great insight on this matter.

-Eric
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

On Irish flute at least, seeing someone always having their pinkie down except for D is The Mark Of Someone Who Is Really A Boehm Player. This is because on the Boehm flute the pinkie must be down on its key, even for E, but is lifted for D.
I was in the habit, like many Irish flute/whistle players, of keeping down my bottom-hand ring finger for notes G, A, B, and C. However on some of the big-bore neo-whistles high B (and sometimes high A) sound harsh or may not sound at all with that finger down.
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

panceltic piper wrote:

"On Irish flute at least, seeing someone always having their pinkie down except for D is The Mark Of Someone Who Is Really A Boehm Player."

Yeah, like this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcDY76a_eY

obviously a boehm-playing poser trying to have a go at the wooden flute.

cheers,

SteveB
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

[quote="pancelticpiper"]On Irish flute at least, seeing someone always having their pinkie down except for D is The Mark Of Someone Who Is Really A Boehm Player. This is because on the Boehm flute the pinkie must be down on its key, even for E, but is lifted for D.[quote]

I'll admit I started on Boehm 30 years ago, but I switched to 8-key about 25 years ago and only rarely touch Boehm. However, although not developed to the full classical extent, I've kept the Eb key use in my playing. This is a GOOD THING on 8-key flute, as it is how they were designed to be played! That weak bottom E (and other notes) is massively improved if you vent the Eb. Personally, I'd advocate that totally key-less flutes should be banned/and or retro-fitted with the Eb key. Many fine flautists in ITM never touch their Eb key, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea for them to acquire the habit! Using it has other advantages, but this is becoming too much of a Flute Forum post....back to whistles.

I totally concur with the people who are saying, do what works for you..... Myself, my flute habit transfers to whistle and my R little finger (I do irrationally detest that American term "pinkie"! In Britain, "pinkies" are usually a baby's toes!!!) goes up and down as if playing a phantom Eb key. Thus it acts to stabilises the whistle on notes with few other fingers down, especially open C#. But I don't, and haven't ever, really thought about it while playing - it just works. My personal opinion is that it makes more sense to stabilise with the little finger than with BH3 as it can't interfere with intonation. I haven't read up on the sources mentioned about playing with something like piping "half-closed" fingering, but in general I'd expect it to be disadvantageous in terms of intonation and strength of tone on a whistle which is specifically designed to be played "open". That doesn't mean that one should not make use of such fudged fingerings on swift passing notes involving awkward finger changes, but I'd say, avoid them on sustained notes.