How are all the Chiffer's in the World?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jkwest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

How are all the Chiffer's in the World?

Post by jkwest »

With all the craziness going on weather wise and natural disasters, I just wanted to do a headcheck on all the people out there to see else is experiencing the very weird abnormalities going on right now.

My air quality is shot from this fire in Lake Tahoe...I am starting to feel it in my lungs today. My favorite camping location is about to go up like a tinderbox and it has me in a very disturbed frame of mind.

Anyone else out there?
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Apparently it snowed near here today, but the weatherman on TV wrote it off as soft hail. It hasn't been very summery anyway.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

hot as can be, in Fla you just sweat sitting outside, and my job is an outside job. it is miserable. but i am doing great, cant let the weather get to me. :D
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

After over a month of drought, Chicago has been getting intermittent down pours of rain the past couple of days.
I was down in Indiana last weekend at the Fiddlers Gathering dressed in plastic garbage bags for lack of appropriate rain attire.

Yesterday the street in front of my house looked like a canal for about a half hour. This morning I had to water my outside potted plants because they'd dried out and wilted over.
The first few minutes of the deluge today one could almost hear it turn into steam as it hit the pavement.

Yeah, weather here has been icky but not as icky as it could be.
No hail (though I did experience some while visiting my daughter's cabin in the UP last week).
No flooding bad enough to loose a car in.
No heat bad enough to tempt me to think air conditioning more viable than running around naked while in my house.
djm

Post by djm »

Fecking hot, humid, miserable. Smog warnings. Thunder storm warnings. All quite typical for this area from June through September.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I love the delightfully hot, humid summer weather here in "The Swamp"

Lots of rain this summer so far, though...

M
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

It's actually quite pleasant here but I am here in San Diego who some claim may offer the best whether in the country. To me, I am not a fan of the heat and we are now in summer.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Weather's about perfect in the Santa Cruz Mountains right now, but we're all anxiously watching the fire in Tahoe and remembering uneasily just how dry it is this year. All it would take is some idiot tourist with a campfire, or someone flicking a cigarette out the window....

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Drought here. Not as serious as some places (the Everglades need four feet of rain right now!!!), but drought all the same. Strange to be in a drought when the air's humid. Hasn't been beastly hot yet, but it's only late June. We shall see.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well, the rats are down to few enough that they're hardly noticeable (unless you happen to notice one). Everyone who lives around here's been having to deal with them, so it seems to be a widespread phenomenon.

The problem with having only one or two remaining rats is, it's hard to get them hungry enough that they'll venture into a live trap. (I don't care to kill them, even if that would be easier.) With nine children and a dog in the house, it seems there's always a Cheerio or a bit of kibble somewhere to accomodate a night visitor, and it doesn't take much to sustain one rat.

Now that it's become difficult to catch the rats, I'm starting to use a repellent containing fox urine. We'll see if that makes a difference.

I've been wondering how they get the fox urine. Is there a labor union for foxes? Does the contract stipulate that the foxes are allowed bathroom breaks? What's the hourly rate for a fox? The fox urine based repellent is expensive, so I'm assuming these are highly skilled, well paid foxes.

Best wishes,
Jerry
emmline

Post by emmline »

Mid-Atlantic report:
Hot, but not too bad, really.
Last week was wonderful, and perfect with all the windows open.
No natural disasters impacting our feelings toward the weather, at present.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Finally getting much needed rain again. The pond was back down a foot and we've had threats but no measurable rain for quite some time again. It's been fully fledged wet for a couple of hours now, and it is wonderful!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've never seen it so dry here. We've mown our grass twice in the last two months, and that was just to cut down the thistles and cornflower weeds that of course had shot up. Farmers have given up on a second cutting of hay. I don't even want to think what will happen this winter when much needed hay is not there. Folks gardens didn't come up, or are barely surviving unless they were watered. We have had two short showers and that is it. Vineyards are the only thing not suffering. But they got all their first buds killed by a late frost so sugars will be up but harvest will be less.

This year's weather has been awful so far.

We finally broke down and turned on the AC yesterday. Usually, this time of year it does get humid during the day, then cools off at night. Not this year. We are being careful with our water consumption since who knows what shape our well is in...
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Hot and humid here with a thundershower or two every now and again...pretty normal weather here.

Beautiful country...green, rolling hills, the bones of old old mountains.

Family, friends, five fuzzy ferrets, a good job, a loving wife...and this weekend I'll get to play the music in one of our best and liveliest sessions in Hot Springs Village, where two very special old friends will join me from my old home town to play some old tunes and some new ones.

We have a good life here.

There are much worse places to be.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Buckinghamshire, UK.

It's wet. My wife got briefly caught by floods in the next village on Saturday, and had to take the very long way home as they receded.
Our company network collapsed briefly yesterday as one of the servers got flooded, but it's back up again.

So far the Midlands and the North of England has it worst. All the money that went on flood defences in the last ten years seemed to go around London and in Oxford. Funny, that.
I shouldn't complain. The Jubilee Water system probably saved us from getting wet feet.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!