Anyone ever painted white pvc?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Anyone ever painted white pvc?

Post by eedbjp »

Is there a way to paint white pvc black? I imagine you would need a primer.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Bridges-PdP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bridges-PdP »

If you haven't, you might search the forum for this topic. I seem to remember reading a post wherein someone suggested using the kind of pain/primer that is used on car bumpers and molding. Auto parts store kinda stuff.

HTH

Scott
coupedefleur

Post by coupedefleur »

You can also stain it. I remember sanding it in the direction woodgrain would go and rubbing stain on. The stain darkens the pvc somewhat, and collects in the sanding scratches for a darker color.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

You need to finely sand the surface to provide a key then use an acrylic or celulose car paint primer. Top coat can be anything you paint a car with, a laquer would add the finishing touch and make it harder wearing.
If this is a flute type object, as I suspect, then you would need to consider paint build up in and around the holes as this will alter tuning somewhat.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

KRYLON makes a special spray-paint just for plastics. Should be available at your local hardware store.

Link here: http://www.krylon.com/main/product_temp ... oduct_list
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

I've made some PVC flutes and painted them black with paint the use for those plastic scale models of planes and cars you have to build and paint yourself. I sanded it first and then added the paint, it looks real nice, but it takes a while to dry...
This is what they look like:
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Why bother? The stuff looks good as it is, and I have fun telling the unsuspecting (and uninformed) that it's made from Nauga tusk; a by-product of the merciless slaughter of the animals for their colorful hides! :lol:

Regards,
Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

As a vegan type I prefer to lie that my Tipple PVC flutes are porcelain.
Actually I don't lie at all. People exclaim that they have never seen a porcelain flute like that before and I just smile.
:D

Modern architectecture has a thing about innate beauty of materials.
I'm into that. Bamboo to look like bamboo. wood like wood, plastc like porcelain (oops I mean plastic).

Wooden houses should be oiled, not painted. Why woould you want to get a beautiful, uniquely grained material and cover it with plastic paint?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Tip: Take it to the local car painter. Let them breathe the stuff. Get a flame job and some ripped-out skulls or something!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

The Krylon paint worked really well.Thanks!
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Somewhere on the web there's an article about dying PVC with fabric dyes; the results aren't always the same as the colour a fabric would turn, but they are predictable and stable.

~~

Ah, here's one.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

talasiga wrote:Wooden houses should be oiled, not painted. Why woould you want to get a beautiful, uniquely grained material and cover it with plastic paint?
I could not agree with you more. It brought a smile and than a laugh to hear someone say this. Thanks.

PS Still working hard on the bansuri!
ElaineT

Post by ElaineT »

If you want the "faux wood" look, my very first Tipple came neatly covered in woodgrained contact paper. It has held up to a surprising amount of abuse and looks a little less conspicuous that white PVC in a dark pub.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Lee Stanford wrote: ...Still working hard on the bansuri!
I hope you're not cement rendering it.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

My ex used to make digeridoos (HE figured out circular breathing, darn him; that's why we split up -- I was jealous ;-)) out of white PVC and he painted them the way trees described. Worked out great.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.