Your next dream instrument

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

Well I've just recently started ful-filling a dream of mine to learn a bagpipe. It used to be for many years I wanted to learn the highland pipes, untill about 3 years ago or so, I started getting into Irish trad music, and first heard the amazing sound of the uilleann pipes... Since I had been playing Irish trad tunes on the tin whistle for 3 years, I figured it would make most sense to learn the uilleann pipes, and honestly, I've no regrets. :) Maybe down the road I'll still take up the highland pipes, although recently I'm starting to fall for the mellow sound of the smallpipes as well. I guess my answer would be to master the uilleann pipes... I've got roughly 20 years and 7 months :wink:

-Eric
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

emmline wrote: But first...This:
Where's the shower ??
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Real campers don't take showers... Or have those nice trailers either!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

If time was no object, I might be competent at playing the instruments I already own (whistle, fiddle, guitar, harmonica). The only thing I'd consider adding to the list is my dad's custom mandolin, but there's not enough money in the universe to get him to part with it.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Key_of_D wrote:Real campers don't take showers... Or have those nice trailers either!
I'm not proposing that I'll be a real camper. (have been though!)
Oh, and the showers are a)at the campground, or b)in the hotel on splurge nights.
Denny

Post by Denny »

c)when its raining
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

jsluder wrote:If time was no object, I might be competent at playing the instruments I already own (whistle, fiddle, guitar, harmonica). The only thing I'd consider adding to the list is my dad's custom mandolin, but there's not enough money in the universe to get him to part with it.

Almost exactly the same, except I have a mountain dulcimer as well. It's my Mum's old fiddle I'd love to learn to play. It's there, in the corner of the room. It's not time that prevents me - it's the rest of the family.

Actually, I wouldn't mind one of those saxophone things of Redwolf's.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am content as a Flute, Whistle, Mando/Bouzouki player, but I would really love to get a Martin Doyle 4 key with Eb, Long F, Right Hand Bb, and G# keys. As for Whistle a Swayne or an Abell. For Mandos a Long scale Sobell or Spira 5 course Cittern with Low C/D string and a Pheonix Jazz Mandolin.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

lixnaw wrote:
emmline wrote: But first...This:
Where's the shower ??
More importantly...where's the toilet?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Denny

Post by Denny »

next to the shower :wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Denny wrote:next to the shower :wink:
right!
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

A full set in B! Maybe a Gallagher, as I know I like them, but pretty much any decent B set would be my dream instrument.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Paul Reid wrote:Well, if it's a dream instrument....

Ooooh. I wanted to build those in my mother's garage when I was a teenager. First, there was no room for the 16 footers, and Second, she said NO.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

WyoBadger wrote: A fellow euph player here on the chiffboard? Who'd have thought it?
Sorry: having to belt out 'Dona Nobis Pacem' , 'Alouette' + a couple Rubank etudes for a brass methods class in the early 90's really dosent qualify me to fit that description...thanks for the though!
WyoBadger wrote: My GHP player friend offered to trade me pipe lessons for theory lessons, but thus far neither of us have found the time, and I already play too many instruments to keep up with properly anyway...
Oh Thank God! Finally, someone else I can talk theory with!
(modulating to the flat submediant minor's dominant... :boggle: :party: )

Friend of mine built a pipe organ in his rowhouse in Kensington ( not the London one) once upon a time, but then he moved onto a boat + couldnt take it with him... tough sell that house anyway;

Actually, my drean instruments are 3 different kinds of bagpipes, would be kind of tough (but completely interesting ) to try to hook them all up into ONE super-quasi sei palmi bohemian zampbock de court...nah.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Right now, I'd like a nice wooden whistle like a Busman. Maybe a D+.