Your next dream instrument

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I want to learn to play the piano, just never find the time to sit down with my keyboard and play the thing.

As for what instrument I would buy if money was no object, then it would have to be a custom shop ESP guitar. Loved them for years and have played their LTD range for the last 7 years.

My next instrument will either be a £4 whistle or a mexican Telecaster, depending on funds. So probably the whistle :(
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I can pick a few chords, but would learn to play the guitar properly...

that or Zouk

or fiddle....

or...
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Time and money no object? Okay...

-Shergold Marathon 6-string bass guitar
-Vox Phantom electric guitar (or maybe a Fender Jaguar...)
-Hamish Moore A-440 Highland pipes
-Hamish Moore Border pipes
-Rod Cameron 8-key flute (Rudall & Rose copy)
-David Monette tenor trombone (with F-valve)
-Uilleann pipes in B or C...Can't decide which one I'd like better at the moment...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get both! I'd probably get them made by Brad Angus as he lives just up the road...

I think those would be enough to keep me busy for a while. In reality, I can barely afford tenor and baritone regualtors for my uilleann pipes. I have a rather nice piano that I inherited from my grandfather, but my parents have it now as I have nowhere to put it...Someday will get myself a set of flat pipes and possibly a new flute, but I have a feeling it won't be for quite a few years...And it would be nice to have a cheap bass to knock around...Oh, forget it...
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

cowtime, friends of mine are getting their (1930's?) Steinway baby grand re-furbished...knowing the cost of this extensive overhaul, I shudder to think of what they cost new!
WyoBadger, even tho I m completely NOT a brass player, I did plug away at a Euphonium a few years ago...they are a blast to play, and that picture is stunning!
My top 3 picks:
1.) a Remy DuBois Musette de Court
2.) a Pino Salamone Sei Palmi Gran Zampogna
3.) a Pavel Cip Eb Bohimischer Bock
ok you get the idea...I'm just another hapless victim of BAD (bagpipe acquisition disorder...) :boggle:
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm going to get a couple of microchip brain implants--one that will enhance my fingers' ability to do what my brain tells them (then I can actually play my fiddle,) and one that contains full conversational versions of most world languages.
But first...This:
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

I'd love to play fiddle and u. pipes.

Back in the real world I struggle in the time I have to get anywhere near competent on mandolin and whistle, so the other two are purely dreams - even if I had the money.

If I had the money to buy any instrument I could get? A good Gibson F5 mandolin would probably be the thing.

If I had just a modest amount of spare cash then probably a less exorbitant, but still decent, F mandolin... a Bovier, a Kentucky 1000 or an Eastman F.

That said, I do have a soft spot for low-price good quality instruments. They don't impress other people much, but they sure as heck work for me.

My Feadog whistles and my Fullerton mandolin will do very nicely for the moment.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

emmline wrote:I'm going to get a couple of microchip brain implants--one that will enhance my fingers' ability to do what my brain tells them (then I can actually play my fiddle,) and one that contains full conversational versions of most world languages.
But first...This:
What the hell is that?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
emmline

Post by emmline »

buddhu wrote:What the hell is that?
A Teardrop Trailer.
(back to your regularly scheduled topic...)
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

A metal-ended C/G Colin Dipper Anglo would be just perfect these days.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

GHBP - wanted to play them for years and years, but not enough $ and definately not enough time. C'est la vie! Maybe when I'm 70. :)
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Well, if it's a dream instrument....

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

CHasR wrote:WyoBadger, even tho I m completely NOT a brass player, I did plug away at a Euphonium a few years ago...they are a blast to play, and that picture is stunning!
My top 3 picks:
1.) a Remy DuBois Musette de Court
2.) a Pino Salamone Sei Palmi Gran Zampogna
3.) a Pavel Cip Eb Bohimischer Bock
ok you get the idea...I'm just another hapless victim of BAD (bagpipe acquisition disorder...) :boggle:
A fellow euph player here on the chiffboard? Who'd have thought it? There are some sound clips of me playing "celtic euphonium" on my website (albeit on an old, beat up horn I borrowed from one of my students--a sad state of affairs if you ask me), if you're interested: The Whetstone, The James Caird, and (especially) Be Thou My Vision**. I'm officially saving up for the Yamaha~~Only $5400 to go... :D

**That just might be the worst sentence I've ever written.

Are your top 3 bagpipe parts? I can't believe how complex pipes are--it seems like it isn't just one instrument; every piece is a variable to be considered.

My GHP player friend offered to trade me pipe lessons for theory lessons, but thus far neither of us have found the time, and I already play too many instruments to keep up with properly anyway...
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

My next dream instrument is an irish bouzouki-one built by a local luthier I am rather fond of. But before that I need to get a double bass to go to school with.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

emmline wrote:
buddhu wrote:What the hell is that?
A Teardrop Trailer.
(back to your regularly scheduled topic...)
Not necessarily.
After taking in a few festivals I was starting to think some kind of trailer was going to be part of my recommended instrument kit (instrument, case for instrument, tuner for instrument, recording device for lessons on instrument, et cetera). I don't travel well. Hotel bedding always gives me the creeps. Tenting isn't my style any more.
There's a whole cult of "Teardrop" isn't there.

I'd been toying with getting a mandolin just so I'd have an easier instrument to figure out tunes on at sessions. Then I came to my senses and decided 8 strings was 4 four more than I wanted to deal with.

To that end, I turned my sights to an Irish tenor banjo, but it doesn't look like any of the banjos makers I've been recommended to by my Clawhammer teachers make anything but banjos with 5 strings.

I've been seriously looking at getting a decent 5 string banjo for my OT playing. Maybe a Nechville or a Doc
and since those 2 makes are like opposite ends of the 5 string banjo spectrum, why not one of both.

But in my heart I know I should just up grade my current fiddle. That's where I spend the bulk of my time.
I can't go with a brand on a fiddle. I just have to try a whole mess of them and get lucky.

The instrument kit will include maybe a Bam "high tech" or Calton case and a top of the line Coda bow.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Redwolf wrote:I found the instrument I've always longed for when I took up the harp. I spend hours (literally!) practicing...it's hard for me to put it down to do mundane things like cleaning or cooking dinner!

An "instrument" I'd love to develop is my voice. I've always loved singing, and wished I had a voice that could do the music justice.

Redwolf
Me too! The Uilleann pipes have completely caught my attention and effectively put to rest that sense of wanderlust that compelled me to obtain and learn to play yet another instrument. I'm completely satisfied with what I have now. I don't crave anything new, but I could see going back to revisit some old instruments that have been left to collect dust over the last few years.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan