Honeymoon Vacation Photos

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Honeymoon Vacation Photos

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Here are a few photos from our recent (June 2007) trip to Ireland, Wales, England, and Paris, France. We arrived in Dublin and toured southern Ireland for a week by bus with CIE International, the national transportation company of Ireland. At Wexford, Ireland we took the ferry across the Irish Sea to Wales, visiting Cardiff, Wales and Bath and London, England. Our tour ended in London, and independently my wife and I took the Eurostar fast train under the English Channel to Paris, where we spent two delightful days walking the streets of central Paris.

I hope that you enjoy the photos. In reviewing my photos I see that I was not in a photo-taking mood when I was in England, but that has nothing to do with our enjoyment of the English cities and countryside. If you have questions about any of the photos or about our trip in general, please feel free to ask. photos
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

It looks like ya'll had fun. The Guinness in Eire really is better than elsewhere isn't it? I wonder why that is?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Looks like you had a great time!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
alurker

Post by alurker »

How did you end up in 'The Barge' Doug? :boggle: :)

From what I remember it's a fairly lively spot better known for big loud student nights out than a place for a nice quiet pint of porter.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

alurker wrote:How did you end up in 'The Barge' Doug? :boggle: :)

From what I remember it's a fairly lively spot better known for big loud student nights out than a place for a nice quiet pint of porter.
Yes, "The Barge" appears to be a student hangout. When I passed there on Saturday night, the street was full of young people holding glasses of beer. However, in the early afternoon it was an ideal place to have a quiet lunch and a glass of Guinness. We were staying in a hotel a block away, so other than the hotel bar, the Barge Bar was the closest watering hole. A pint of Guinness was 5 E, or about $6.50.
alurker

Post by alurker »

Doug_Tipple wrote:A pint of Guinness was 5 E, or about $6.50.
Yep. Welcome to Dublin City Centre Pricing. :boggle:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

great pics and a great time for sure. if i may be so nosey (i like asking newlyweds this question) what was the strangest wedding present that you received?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

mutepointe wrote:great pics and a great time for sure. if i may be so nosey (i like asking newlyweds this question) what was the strangest wedding present that you received?
My nephew is a student at Yale and is a year away from receiving his doctorate in geology. He was able to attend our wedding. He has been studying very old rocks from the deepest gold mines in South Africa. As a wedding gift, he gave us two rocks tied up in a cloth collecting bag. The rocks are dated at 2.5 billion years in age. We placed them on the mantle above our fireplace.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Gorgeous photos- thanks for posting them.

I love the rock gifts- what a great idea! I'm gonna tell my geologist/engineer daughter....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I mentioned in my first post that I didn't have many photos from England. As I think back on it now, I realize that the reason is because it was raining much of the time that we were in England. However, we did enjoy visiting Bath Abbey and the Roman baths at Bath, England. Here are photos and commentary that others have shared online.Bath photos

In London we rode the hop on-hop off double-decker tour bus around London. It was raining, so it was difficult to sit on the open upper deck. Unfortunately, I had this Roger Miller tune going over and over in my head:
England swings, like a pendulum do,
Bobbysocks, bicycles, two by two,
Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben,
The rosy red cheeks of the little children.

When we got off the bus to go inside Westminster Abbey, the bells were tolling like crazy; it was the Queen's birthday. Not long after that the Royal Air Force jets flew low over the city. In Paris we heard the organist play a 5 pm concert in Notre Dame cathedral. The low notes of the big pipes were literally shaking the whole building. Rita thought that something was wrong with the organ, and she was holding her ears. I don't know what impressed me more: the frantic tolling of the bells at Westminster Abby or the organ concert at Notre Dame. I feel fortunate to have been at the right place at the right time for both of these musical events.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Grand Photos, Mr T! I'm sure you had a great time. But I bet your feet were sore.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Sorry Beth and I didn't get to meet you and Rita when you were in London, Doug!

If you need any pictures of London landmarks to add to the album, let us know.

Nice to see you went to a lot of places I've also been to in Paris, England and Ireland, it brings back a lot of happy memories.

BTW, it's still raining :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Martin Milner wrote: BTW, it's still raining :D
Nae here :D

Although today is the first time in a week I've seen blue sky...
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Cool pix Doug!

Looks like you two lovers had a grand time.

Ah Paris!

I need to get back to France.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

doug. at the moment, you are #1 on the list of strange presents. how nice of your nephew.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦