What's in a name?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Bernice is a pretty horrible name to stick on a little girl, but it's even worse when it's little boy.
He's not the only one. I have a guy on my mail route who's middle name is Bernice. I also had one who's first name was Beverly, middle Frank!

I have several guys on the route named "Fairchild" and "Freeman". One of my favorites, and I ended up naming a dog after her- was "Flarnie". Oh, I just thought of another one- a man who's first name is "Tamer".
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

A guy in my town got his name officially changed to Trout Fishing in America.

My last name is assumed. I changed it, like the OP did, and went and got a new social security card and all that. The question I have for the OP is, did you get periodic mailings from Social Security showing you how much you are projected to receive each month when you retire? I get those, but now I'm worried that when I do retire (if SSI still exists at all) that I'll get the runaround like you did.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

mutepointe wrote:i'm surprised australia would have a problem with the name. especially when you consider things like henry VIII and all that kind of stuff.
POINT !:- New Zealand is not Australia
POINT 2:- King Henry VIII of England whose name was Henry Tudor was not baptised Henry VIII but Henry. The VIII is part of his official designation after he became king and not before.
POINT 3:- You should keep true to your name by keeping silly points muted.
:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

talasiga wrote:
mutepointe wrote:i'm surprised australia would have a problem with the name. especially when you consider things like henry VIII and all that kind of stuff.
POINT !:- New Zealand is not Australia
POINT 2:- King Henry VIII of England whose name was Henry Tudor was not baptised Henry VIII but Henry. The VIII is part of his official designation after he became king and not before.
POINT 3:- You should keep true to your name by keeping silly points muted.
:P
i'm from america, i don't have to know those things.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

mutepointe wrote:i'm from america, i don't have to know those things.
Don't believe everything you think.
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

With a name like McCluney, there was the usual ribbing about being a "loony", but all in all, not too bad. It looks incredibly easy to pronounce to me, but almost no one gets it right ("McClunney", "McClury", "McLaney", you name it). The name supposedly goes back (through Ireland) to Scotland, the prevailing theory being that we're affiliated with the MacPhersons (whose clan seat was at Cluanaidh castle, of similar pronunctiation -- so the name may have originally been "MacCluanaidh"). We _do_ have it traced to the first McCluney who came over from Ireland in the mid-1700's (his grave is out in the woods in upstate South Carolina -- pretty interesting to find if you like secluded graveyards!).
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Jeferson wrote:
Maybe he doesn't even have to think .....
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:
Jeferson wrote:
Of course not! That's one of the perks of being an American...thinking is always optional

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

My brother is very interested in his Scottish heritage.
His children are named:
Ethnie Ellen (wife insisted on not spelling it Eithne, so people could pronounce it.)
William Carbry
Samuel Drostane

All 3 children have one name traceable to ancient Scot history.

I recently discovered, via DNA analysis through the Nat'l Geo genographic project, that our Gillespie lineage--the Y chromosome line, traceable through our Dad--is actually ultra-Norse, and we therefore (if you discount all the marriages...and seriously, who'd want to do that?) had only been "Scottish" for a very few hundred years before departing for the New World.

He doesn't seem interested in changing his childrens' names to
Birta, Gunnar, and Ólafur.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:He doesn't seem interested in changing his childrens' names to
:lol:

That whole DNA thing is cool...but I'm afraid that if I had Mr Izz do it, we'd have to change our children's names from Finbar, Séamus and Éamon to Pierre, Jacques, and Édouard ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

"Wisely" is not a very common name. Google yields a number of people with that name in Singapore and environs which I can't explain.

My ancestors spelled the name "Wisley" and a bunch of them hail from Bloomington, IN. Until last night, literally, I had thought that it was my great grandfather Dan who had changed the spelling. But, just last night, my brother emailed me a recently discovered photo of Dan's wife (my great grandmother) and her name is spelled Mary Wisley on the back of the photo. So, I'm left to conclude that it was my own grandfather, Elmer Wisely, who made the change. The man lived until 1987, so I can't imagine why this was never discussed in my family. And, you know, this must be TERRIBLY interesting to you by now and just to test the idea that SURELY no one is reading this far I'm just going to indicate here that I once accidentally used the women's restroom in Restoration Hardware here in Birmingham and I wasn't even arrested.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

emmline wrote:My brother is very interested in his Scottish heritage.
His children are named:
Ethnie Ellen (wife insisted on not spelling it Eithne, so people could pronounce it.)
William Carbry
Samuel Drostane

I recently discovered, via DNA analysis through the Nat'l Geo genographic project, that our Gillespie lineage--the Y chromosome line, traceable through our Dad--is actually ultra-Norse, and we therefore (if you discount all the marriages...and seriously, who'd want to do that?) had only been "Scottish" for a very few hundred years before departing for the New World.

It may encourage him to know that the Norse in the western isles and highlands of Scotland have contributed greatly to the character of Scottish culture. Visit the orkneyjar website for more info:
http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/

I think my uncle has traced our line back to the days of Kennith MacAlpin, and probably prior to. I'll have to ring him and ask. He might have gone back as far as Neichtan. (Oh. Name's Abernethy by the way. Fairly Pictish idn' it?

(Dale, sir, you'd think the lack of a urinal would have been an indicator.)
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm

Post by djm »

Cofaidh wrote:Dale, sir, you'd think the lack of a urinal would have been an indicator.
I would have thought the graffiti would have given it away. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

izzarina wrote:
talasiga wrote:
Jeferson wrote:Don't believe everything you think.
Of course not! That's one of the perks of being an American...thinking is always optional

;)
you folks are getting the best of me. i'm going to lay low for awhile.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

emmline wrote:My brother is very interested in his Scottish heritage.
His children are named:
William Carbry
Samuel Drostane

I don't know how they pronounced "Eithne" in Scotland, but in Ireland it's "Enya"

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!