Northeast Whistle gathering? (renamed)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lyn D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Oh, RamblDoc,

I'd be happy to help you with the flute. Do you have one? I'll bring what I have. And I promise not to laugh!

Lyn
Rakish Davey

Post by Rakish Davey »

Hello Folks

Please pencil me in for the Gathering. My wife and I are planning a trip to CT at the end of July and I'll circle that day on my calendar.

My vote is for the Sweets. I just got a Pro D and this would be a great opportunity to thank them personally.

May I bring my mandolin as well? My wife is a fiddler but doesn't play whistle. May she come along?

Cheers, Dave
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Hi Dave,

I'm a new whistle and flute player attending for the first time. I'd like
to see and hear a mandolin. Also, I started teaching myself the violin about 8 years ago, and would like to talk to and hear your wife play.
Maybe I'll bring my violin, too.
Lyn
medit8b1
antispam: No

Post by medit8b1 »

Well, I'm in maine and it looks to be about a three and half hour drive to the Sweets, so I think I would be up to that if thats where it's going to be. The 29th works for me as well. I'd like to attend if the invitation is open? Thanks
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

The increase in numbers is great.

Rakish Davey: Fiddle and Mandolin would be most welcome, so BY ALL MEANS, bring 'em both, plus the Fiddler. Spouses, friends, significant others, etc. are welcome, as I recall.

Now that we have something resembling a firm foundation for the day, it's time to think up some events/demos/etc.

More later,

Tom D.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Yeah- by all means bring family, friends and other non-whistle instruments. I got a new mandolin for my birthday which I will bring, as well as an octave mando. I may even bring a couple of whistles :D
People often bring instruments that they want to trade or sell, which is fun and you can pick up some bargains.
Note-- Connecticut is tick country (Lyme is actually a city in CT). Not to scare anyone off, but definitely bring insect repellent since we'll be outdoors in a wooded area. With a bit of care, this is not a problem.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Hi folks,

Now that the Sweets' place is available to us, on July 29, can I assume that the gathering will be there, or do we still have to vote on it?
If we have to vote, I think it would be a good idea to vote soon. It would be curteous to the Sweets, to let them know after they've gotten their place ready for us, and to those who have a long trip, ample time to make their travel plans. What do you all think?
My vote is for the Sweet's place.
Lyn
RamblDoc

Sweets is The Place

Post by RamblDoc »

Hi All participants in the North East Whistle Gathering (NEWG)

Good suggestion, LynD. Coincidently, I have received agreement from Paul Busman and Tom Dowling that we should make the decision to hold this year's event at that spacious green grove on The Banks of The Scantic known as The Sweets Place and announce it by posting on this Topic.
There are many who have stated this as their preference and none who have expressed opposition to it. The Sweets are owed a reply to their kind offer. Nuff said.
Without further delay let us then declare that the NEWG 2007 shall be held at the Sweets Place in Hazzardville, CT on the date July 29, 2007 Sunday. Hours for arrivals and closing shall be determined later. Roughly, around midday to early evening is likely.
Recap: Date-----J U L Y 2 9 , Sunday

Place----T H E S W E E T S P L A C E

End of Post
Hoping none are unhappy with this action, let us hope for good weather and good traveling for all attenders.
Lloyd
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

There will also be a raffle of one 8.5" by 11" print of the photo mentioned here: http://members.tripod.com/~NightGallery/Ashes.html .

The proceeds, meager though they may be, will go to a worthy cause to be determined by the winner in consultation with the whomever he/she wishes to be in consultation with. The print on the site is much more sepia than the actual print. I'm not sure how the website person did that, but the actual print is more ochre to red than the one shown on the linked site. Tickets will be in the vicinity of $2.00 I think.

Tom D.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I will also try to make it, but can't commit due to a combination of work and moving turmoil. Would like to see and hear all of you.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

I'd like to go if I could. July 29th sounds good to me sofar. Though I'm quite new so I hope you don't mind he just sitting and listening most of the day.

If you're still trying to figure things out by location I live in northern New Jersey but no big deal I'm willing to travel a few hours if need be.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Here is my problem, I have no car. I was talking to another member about carpooling from NYC, but it turns out that they will be able to do that. So now I am stuck as I have no way to get all the way there. I can take a train to some cities, but it will cost a lot so I would rather not make more than the two trips I have to make (first Septa into Philly then Amtrak to wherever) already. I was planing to visit friends in NYC and Long Island the day before the gathering which is why NYC is convenient for me as I will probably be there anyway. I could take Amtrak to Hartford from NYC, but that would cost me another $60 each way plus the $120 it cost to go from Philly to NYC round trip. I can't afford to spend all that money on train tickets.

So I ask are there any Chiffers going through or coming from NYC who would be willing to carpool from NYC? If not NYC maybe somewhere close accsesable by train. I may not be in the city on the 28th and if that is the case I can go from Philly to somewhere else such as Albany or Hartford.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Avery-- if the train to Albany sounds like your best bet, let me know and we can most likely pick you up and take you the rest of the way. Email me directly.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
waltsweet

NEWG

Post by waltsweet »

Friends of the Fipple,

As Lloyd has said, we're planning on the NEWG for Sunday 29 July '07 at 32 S Maple St in Hazardville. I will be out of town, but Joe will open and close for you.

Enjoy!

Walt Sweet
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Walt:

Thanks again for the generosity that is so characteristic of the Sweets. Your little niche of serenity and history is as fine a setting for the gathering as anyone could want.

Best wishes to you and your fine family.

Tom Dowling