Home Roasting

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Is home roasting worth the trouble?

Yes
23%
No
31%
It would be if I had the time
23%
All that matters is the caffeine: just plug your nose and deal with the bad stuff.
23%

Total votes: 13

hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Lambchop wrote:So, here's my question . . . does it make a difference one way or the other if I keep it in the freezer after opening the can?????
Anything with oil in it goes rancid when exposed to the air. That means if you don't use opened containers of coffee, flour, etc. you need to keep them in air tight containers and under at least refrigeration.
If it takes you a while to use a can of ground coffee, the freezer (in a very air tight container) might be a better place for it than just the refrigerator.

I had this discussion with a Korean friend only it was about brown rice. I couldn't make it clear to her that most of the time it takes Americans without an Asian ancestry months or years to use up a 3 pound bag of raw brown rice and oil in it goes rancid before eaten.
She couldn't hear what I was saying because she couldn't imagine someone not eating at least 3 pounds of any rice a day.

I'm sure there are people here who feel that way about their coffee.

p.s. I hope you're feeling better soon.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:ewatch.prnewswire.com/rs/display.jsp..........
For some reason, when I first saw your link, I thought it read "ewe watch." :lol:

Hope you're feeling well soon, Lamby. :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Sorry to hear you're roasting.

But the other side of the fridge/freezer coin is this: every time you remove the coffee from the freezer and expose it to the warmer kitchen air the grounds will pick up moisture in the form of condensation (especially in Florida's humidity). For me though, the beans rarely last long enough for any refridgeration to be neccessary.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've heard it said that freezing separates essential oils and ruins the coffee. I've never tried so I don't know first hand.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Flyingcursor wrote:I've heard it said that freezing separates essential oils and ruins the coffee. I've never tried so I don't know first hand.
I only buy small quantities of beans, and they go by pretty quickly.

So far, I've not refrigerated them, and I've not had problem with freshness issues.

The biggest single thing I've found to vastly improve the taste of coffee is to use a French press and not a drip maker.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Nice writeup on page one Missy!

A buddy of mine is fond of roasting his own beans when we go camping, then making the coffee in a french press. He has a basket and stand that he made himself that he uses for just such an occasion; it goes right over the campfire.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

missy wrote: While roasting IS important to the final product, so is the way the green beans are stored.
Mmm... green beans.
Reasonable person
Walden