Thinking about getting a flute... Got questions.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Jason Paul wrote:...
Yes, the bigger issue is whether or not I want to play the flute at all. With so many gung-ho proponents though, there must be something to it. I guess I should just listen to more tunes on flute and see if it's a sound I want to work toward.

Jason
I don't think it's a good way to tell, as listening to one, and playing one are far different things-you have to experience it personally to tell whether or not you like it, to be fair to yourself and the instrument. It's not something that you can reason about logically.
~~~~
Barry
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Jason Paul wrote:I guess I should just listen to more tunes on flute and see if it's a sound I want to work toward.
That is the best option. Get a Wooden Flute Obsession CD and listen to all the variations in sound from player to player.
chas

Post by chas »

greenspiderweb wrote:
Jason Paul wrote:...
Yes, the bigger issue is whether or not I want to play the flute at all. With so many gung-ho proponents though, there must be something to it. I guess I should just listen to more tunes on flute and see if it's a sound I want to work toward.
I don't think it's a good way to tell, as listening to one, and playing one are far different things-you have to experience it personally to tell whether or not you like it, to be fair to yourself and the instrument. It's not something that you can reason about logically.
There IS something to it, see more in following paragraph.

I concur with Barry, but would add something. With the flute, to a greater extent than many instruments, your sound is your own. So even if you aren't crazy about the sounds many Irish fluters get from their flutes, you may find you sound entirely different, and you might like that. Also, to a greater extent than on many instruments, it's possible to get a great range of different sound textures from a flute, from sweet to reedy to dirty.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Don't play any instrument unless you can't help it. It's got to be a matter of love, IMHO.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I have always thought the flute to be the most beautiful sounding instrument. Frequently it is neither the star of the show nor one of the more important instruments, but in those times that it is the star of the show -- wow! The flute really makes it.

Plus it is capable of much expression, in the right hands anyway.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

sbhikes wrote:I have always thought the flute to be the most beautiful sounding instrument. Frequently it is neither the star of the show nor one of the more important instruments, but in those times that it is the star of the show -- wow! The flute really makes it.

Plus it is capable of much expression, in the right hands anyway.
I agree with you wholeheartedly - went through years of whistle playing trying to convince myself I didn't need to plunk down several hundred dollars for a flute - but in the end I've only been truly happy playing the flute.

I have nightmares about some unknown injury that forces me to play some other instrument...

Eric
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Well, I said that sometimes I like the sound of the flute, and sometimes it doesn't do much for me. I guess it's about the skill of the player and the quality of the flute - not to get too far off of the subject. So, when I like it, I really like it quite a bit. For example, when I hear Matt Molloy play The Maids of Mitchelstown, I think: I MUST get a flute! Granted, that's Matt Molloy and all...

If I'm being honest, what I really like are the uilleann pipes. However, given the expense and difficulty of playing them, not to mention the likelihood of my wife cutting off my fingers, getting a set of pipes is, well... a pipe dream, as it were.

So, I play the whistle. I like the whistle. But often, I'd like something lower, and with a mellower, reedy sound - ergo, my interest in the flute.

Does that help explain where I'm coming from?

Thanks,
Jason
chas

Post by chas »

Jason Paul wrote:For example, when I hear Matt Molloy play The Maids of Mitchelstown, I think: I MUST get a flute! Granted, that's Matt Molloy and all...

If I'm being honest, what I really like are the uilleann pipes.
I started whistle wanting to graduate to U-pipes. Then I got my wife a flute and started playing that. It's put a spell on me, and I can't imagine ever taking up the pipes. The flute just has depths that it will take me half a lifetime to plumb. I'd say a lifetime, but mine's half over.

Yeah, the Bothy's version of Maids of Mitchellstown is to die for. You'll either have to get a C flute or take it up a step to play along with the flute part on a keyless.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Jason Paul wrote:If I'm being honest, what I really like are the uilleann pipes. However, given the expense and difficulty of playing them, not to mention the likelihood of my wife cutting off my fingers, getting a set of pipes is, well... a pipe dream, as it were.
See if there is a Lúnasa concert near you and take the wife. Between Kevin's flute playing and hilarious stage banter or Cillian's piping and stoic stage presence she'll be won over.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

AaronMalcomb wrote: Get a Wooden Flute Obsession CD and listen to all the variations in sound from player to player.
From where do folks in the UK buy this CD ??

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

boyd wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote: Get a Wooden Flute Obsession CD and listen to all the variations in sound from player to player.
From where do folks in the UK buy this CD ??

Boyd
By international order from http://www.worldtrad.org/
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth »

Personnaly, I think that every instrument, whistle as flute, for example, is hard. All of them request hard work to perform well.
I start by cheap and horrible whistle, then switch on low D whistle, and after 8 month on low flute. I'm not a genius, not at all, but the first time I received my flute, i was able to blow it. Now I work it since 1 year and I don't regret it.
OF COURSE it's not wonderfull, but the love of the sound is the best way to discover this instrument. Don't think "it will be too hard", and so on ... just keep at mind "I loooove it, and want to sound like this", and then you will work, and will be happy to work !
Whistler one day, flutist the next day, irish music for life ;o)
ElaineT

Post by ElaineT »

Hi. I'm new here.

I'd strongly recommend a Hammy practice flute over the Tipple. I've been messing with Doug's flutes since they were covered with wood grained contact paper, and they're not very easy for beginners to play because the embrochure chimney is shallow. Doug developed the lip plate for his flutes to address the problem, and it helps some. If you do get a Tipple, be sure you pay extra for the lip plate model.

The Hammy practice flute has a delrin head made to match a typical wooden flute embrochure. It's surprisingly easy to blow and you'll find it much less frustrating than just about any other inexpensive flute out there. It has an awesome hard D, and the only downside is that it is not tunable. I'm pretty sure Doc carries 'em, or you can order direct from Hammy.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Jason Paul wrote:...Yes, the bigger issue is whether or not I want to play the flute at all. With so many gung-ho proponents though, there must be something to it...
Yes, there is something to it. Flutes are delightfully responsive instruments. A flute allows a player to truly play the wind, nothing else like it.

The price, however, involves a steep learning curve, and a lot of work.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

ElaineT wrote:Hi. I'm new here.

I'd strongly recommend a Hammy practice flute over the Tipple. I've been messing with Doug's flutes since they were covered with wood grained contact paper, and they're not very easy for beginners to play because the embrochure chimney is shallow. Doug developed the lip plate for his flutes to address the problem, and it helps some. If you do get a Tipple, be sure you pay extra for the lip plate model.

The Hammy practice flute has a delrin head made to match a typical wooden flute embrochure. It's surprisingly easy to blow and you'll find it much less frustrating than just about any other inexpensive flute out there. It has an awesome hard D, and the only downside is that it is not tunable. I'm pretty sure Doc carries 'em, or you can order direct from Hammy.
I wouldn't say that is the only downside to the Hammy practice flute, but it relates to it not being tunable (which really is a BIG disadvantage to start with)-you also can't adjust the embouchure position because the headjoint doesn't move. Besides those two, you also can't adjust your hand positions either to make it better fit you, if you find it more comfortable. Many don't find that necessary, but how do you know unless you can try it and see?

Besides that, the Hammy is probably very nice. But, I think Doug's flutes definitely have the advantage-and I don't think they are hard to play even with his non-lip plate flute, from a beginners standpoint-I started on one too. I'd get the lip plate, just for the sound though.
~~~~
Barry