How to take the fun out of movies...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

How to take the fun out of movies...

Post by chrisoff »

...write an article in The Guardian about why John McClane is a bad cop:
http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/fea ... 82,00.html
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I could only read a few paragraphs in. My eyelids were closing fast. What a gas bag.

Actually, my favourite film of his was Last Boyscout. It coulda/shoulda been a Die Hard movie, but for some reason they gave him a different name.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

What a bum; they're just movies.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

djm wrote:I could only read a few paragraphs in. My eyelids were closing fast. What a gas bag.

Actually, my favourite film of his was Last Boyscout. It coulda/shoulda been a Die Hard movie, but for some reason they gave him a different name.

djm
A very under-rated film. It's a good, solid action movie.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

...He does this under the steely gaze of the airport chief played by Fred Thompson, who would, if elected president by the American people in 2008, be the jowliest man to occupy the White House since the sow-like William Howard Taft dragged his capacious carcass down to Washington back in 1909. Thompson spends the entire movie frowning and looking serious without ever once making a sensible decision. He would make a truly excellent president...
Send this "movie review" to the poli board...

...this writer sucks...
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

No by-line. It's hack work.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

methinks someone's girlfriend likes bruce willis better than she does the writer.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

mutepointe wrote:methinks someone's girlfriend likes bruce willis better than she does the writer.
BINGO! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I read the whole article trying to figure out what his point was. Never did figure it out. He was all over the place. I thought he was going to address the metaphor of McClane being like our international policies, or that the audience is stupid and narrow minded, or that he cared about the consequences of guns and bombs. Then he starts talking like an accountant and brings the insurance industry into it. Sounded like a college freshman essay. He must be paid by the word.

He never mentioned whether he recommended the movie or not. It also seemed like his distinctions between fantasy and reality were a bit blurred.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
alurker

Post by alurker »

Oh, give the guy a break. He is merely arguing that the violence and death needs to be taken out of the action-movie genre. I agree. And then there are those needless car chases and all that yelling and cussing.

'Sense and Sensibility' - now that's what I call an action movie. :thumbsup:
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The loud noises could be toned down a bit, I'll have to admit. And all the frowning and grimacing is absolutely frightening.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
djm

Post by djm »

alurker wrote:'Sense and Sensibility' - now that's what I call an action movie.
I don't know why you radicals are allowed to post such nonsense in the Pub. S&S was far too violent. The action sequences alone left me bilious. Now, on the other hand, My Dinner With Andre, there's an action film for the whole family. Kept me on the edge of my seat!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.