Thinking about getting a flute... Got questions.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jason Paul

Thinking about getting a flute... Got questions.

Post by Jason Paul »

Every time I think about getting into a new thing (instrument, hobby, whatever), I think the "Which _______ should I buy?" question has been done to death. However, I always seem to end up with either too much or too little information when I start looking around. So, I've got a few questions.

I play the whistle and Native American flute. I'm thinking about getting a flute. I've considered it a few times, but always seem to convince myself that I'm happy enough with my whistles.

However, sometimes the whistles are more shrill than what I'm in the mood for, and my wife is never in the mood for them. I have a Kerry Songbird Low D, which I like, but I just don't connect with it all the time. So, I'm wondering if a flute might be something I'd like to get into.

Now of course being new, I don't want to (and can't) spend several hundred dollars (or more) on my first one. So, I've been looking at starter flutes. In my limited hunting around, I'm finding two basic options for me.

First, there are the inexpensive plastic flutes. The only two I know of that seem OK are the Tipple flutes or a Tony Dixon. I know Doug's flutes get a lot of praise here and I've heard very little about Dixon, so it seems the Tipple is the way to go.

Second, there are a few flutes that I've seen in the $300 range. Namely, the Casey Burns Folk Flute, a Sweetheart (laminate), or possibly a Dixon Polymer. Since I've read very little about the Dixon Polymer, it seems the Burns FF would be the way to go. I'm guessing that a laminate wouldn't be as good.

Obviously, it would be much easier for me to justify spending $60-$80 on a Tipple just to test the waters. But, I could probably spend $300 for Christmas for one of the others.

I guess what makes sense would be for me to get a Tipple to try, and maybe move up to one of the $300 flutes later.

Sorry if this just turned into mindless rambling. I'm just not sure if I really want a flute. Sometimes I like the sound, and sometimes I'm not sure. Then I read how much harder they are to play than a whistle, so I think I'll stick with the whistle. Then I want something more mellow than a whistle, so I start thinking about a flute.

Anyone care to convince me that I should take up the flute? :D Does a Tipple seem like the best way to start for say, less than $100?

Thanks,
Jason

(Again, sorry for the rambling)
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

You answered your own questions, and chose a great path, IMO.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

Two of us newbies are about to or have received Folk Flutes. Perhaps we'll be able to give you some information from the newbie perspective soon.

I have never seen a real expensive Irish flute in person. I can understand not wanting to pay a lot of money for a thing of beauty that you may end up neglecting. Also, a wood flute takes a bit of care and I certainly wouldn't want to botch the caring for it on a $3K flute. I'd rather take my chances on something cheaper. I kinda like how I can rinse my whistles out with soapy water, so maybe a plastic flute has its plusses.

One thing everybody says is if you don't like your flute you can always sell it. It takes a while sometimes to get a new one and some people don't like to wait.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Jason, yes, as Crookedtune suggested, you've already figured out that the Tipple would be an excellent start for you, at a very reasonable cost. You can custom pick your options, or ask if anyone might be willing to sell one here on the forum. It would get you started playing flute in short order-and give you some valuable playing time to see if you like it (most do), instead of waiting for Christmas!

Next step up from there would be a Folk Flute, if you want wood, or an M&E or Seery, or Jon C. polymer flutes. All excellent intermediate flutes that can make you happy for a long time too, with the more typical conical bores of Irish flutes, which gives you a little tighter sound, and not as long a spread for the fingers, as on the Tipple (cylindrical bore flutes).

There's nothing like sideblown flute-challenging, but very doable, and very rewarding. I still love the Low whistle I've found, but I won't part with the flute either-they are each unique in voice and what they bring to the music.

Good luck, and have fun!
~~~~
Barry
John Gribble

Post by John Gribble »

Well, I've had not one but two Tipple D flutes and a Burns Folk Flute over the last year of being a flute newbie.

The first Tipple was a three piece 8 hole with in-line fingering, purchased used. It blew easily and sounded good, but the stretch was too wide for me.

A used Folk Flute came up and I bought it. The off-set tone holes are smaller, closer together, and much easier to finger. And the instrument sounds great. It is fairly easy to blow, especially in the low octave, and, again, it sounds wonderful. Casey re-reamed and polished the bore a few months back and it is a bit more responsive as a result. And the mopane smells great when it is warmed up! My only real issue with it is that it is a bit heavy.

I traded the first Tipple to someone who wanted an in-line instrument. I got his two-piece six hole D with the offset holes. He got the "better" instrument, perhaps, but I like this one a lot more. It is lighter and it is much more easy for me to make the reach. It will be the one which goes into the suitcase when we travel this summer.

So that's (some of) my flute beginnings. Other flutes and fifes have found a home here, including several (4!) Sweetheart instruments and I love them all.

Enjoy!
John Gribble
gribblej@gol.com
John Gribble

Post by John Gribble »

Double posted. Sorry
John Gribble
gribblej@gol.com
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Thinking about getting a flute... Got questions.

Post by hans »

Jason Paul wrote:Sorry if this just turned into mindless rambling. I'm just not sure if I really want a flute. Sometimes I like the sound, and sometimes I'm not sure. Then I read how much harder they are to play than a whistle, so I think I'll stick with the whistle. Then I want something more mellow than a whistle, so I start thinking about a flute.

Anyone care to convince me that I should take up the flute? :D Does a Tipple seem like the best way to start for say, less than $100?
Well I'll play Devils Advocate and say, from what you just said, don't get a flute, if you only like the sound of flute "sometimes", and if you don't want to put much work into it. Flutes are a lot of work, and a lot harder to play than whistles. If you want to get sometimes more mellow sound, without hard work, play a lower whistle. Perhaps a G or F. I love my Overton low G, it is also pretty loud, great for outdoor events. To get away from being accused of shrill whistle sounds a Bb is quite sufficient, and can be cheap. I played a Generation Bb for many years at home, before only recently switched to a Overton Bb. If you want to put a little bit more work into it you can learn a low D whistle, the finger stretch is more demanding, but they are a lot easier to blow than a flute (any flute).

All this said, in my personal history I went from cheap whistles to slighter more expensive and lower whistles (Susatos) to a low D Overton for the extra mellow low sound, which was a struggle and convinced me that for all the work I put into it I may as well learn the wooden flute. Trying out a few flutes I quickly was only satisfied with a well made blackwood keyless starter flute (made by Williams). Now I mostly play my 8 key blackwood Allan flute, and low whistles when I don't have the strength to blow the flute.

~Hans
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I would also suggest you to get a Tipple. I have one in B from him and it's great. Maybe you should go for a lip plate when ordering a flute from Doug, as it plays more like a wooden flute with the plate due to the deeper embouchure chimney. It also moves the sound towards the "irish" tone we all want. Check out the comparison MP3s on Doug's web site.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

hans wrote:
Jason Paul wrote:
Well I'll play Devils Advocate and say, from what you just said, don't get a flute, if you only like the sound of flute "sometimes",
A few years back i didn't like the sound of the flute at all, but there's so many different flutes to choose, that i've found a flute with a sound i really like. And now i can play flute, i can't play whistle anymore, so don't think flute's that hard :lol:
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

lixnaw wrote:
hans wrote:
Jason Paul wrote:
Well I'll play Devils Advocate and say, from what you just said, don't get a flute, if you only like the sound of flute "sometimes",
A few years back i didn't like the sound of the flute at all, but there's so many different flutes to choose, that i've found a flute with a sound i really like. And now i can play flute, i can't play whistle anymore, so don't think flute's that hard :lol:
You can sound as you like on a good wooden conical flute. The variations you can achieve in tone and in dynamics are what sets a flute apart from a low whistle.
chas

Post by chas »

Another question for you to ask yourself is, are you motivated to play the flute almost every day, even if for just a few minutes, for the six months or so it would take for you to find out if it's for you? It's important that you put some work into building up the muscles necessary to play it and get a decent sound out of it. Since you're on the fence about whether you really want to play it or not, if you don't put the work in, I'd be pretty confident you'd wind up selling your flute after six months or however soon you get tired of it. OTOH, if you get a Tipple, the most you'd be out is probably 20 bucks, if you get a Casey, maybe 40-50.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
demon_piper

Constant advocate

Post by demon_piper »

Ok, so I find myself constantly advocating these but that said

buy a Seery! Be it new or used from the board or wherever. They are excellent flutes, there's not great risk of damaging them (thus hurting your investment) and if you don't like it, and don't want to play flute you can always sell a Seery. They seem to move about regularly on the board.

I myself have owned and sold two, really I wish I had never sold the second one, it was a fantastic instrument, but I was young and foolish.

Still as far as relative expense, survivability and quality go the Seery is your man. It's a lot of flute for the money.

That's just a 2 cents opinion
Durruti

Post by Durruti »

Heard a guy playing what I later found out was a Seery (PART OF A GROUP) recently in Belfast and it sounded brilliant to my novice ears, but as I'm still struggling with basic tunes on the whistle (absolute beginner), I'd find it hard to justify spendind £250 on a Seery.
I have A Dixon two piece and I'm struggling with it and I don't think I'll ever learn to love it, so I'm thinking of buying a Doug Tipple, as they seem to be the beginners most sensible option.
Also ordered Grey Larsen's Essential Guide, as I need help.

I have to agree with the above post saying that it requires a certain amount of commitment and an effort to play every day.
I'm wasting time here :D I'm away to have a toot :D
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for the replies so far. I knew I was rambling, answering my own questions, and generally thinking out loud. Sorry, that's just how I operate sometimes. :D

It seems that a Tipple would be the way to go, if I decide to get a flute. I'll have to wait a little while though. I just got an O'Brien C/D whistle set a couple of weeks ago, and I don't want the wife to put me outside.

Yes, the bigger issue is whether or not I want to play the flute at all. With so many gung-ho proponents though, there must be something to it. I guess I should just listen to more tunes on flute and see if it's a sound I want to work toward.

Should I decide to take it up, daily practice isn't a problem. It's pretty normal for me to pick up a whistle, ukulele, or NA flute a few times during the day and spend some time.

Also, I already have Grey Larsen's big book, so that will help.

Thanks again, and any further comments or attempts to hook me on the flute are welcome. :)

Jason
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

There's no such thing as an easy instrument. Some makers'll give your money back after a month, if you don't like it. How can you possibly go wrong there ?? and if you've got the opportunity to try out a few different flutes somewhere near you, take it.