Vote Thread - early capitulation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

To avoid further bitterness and the possibility of more nasty, venomous hate-posts, I am going to drop the idea of a technical forum for wind instruments. I did not try to force anyone to not comment - I <font size=+1>requested</font> that they not do so, quite politely, twice - first here in the quoted bit below, and later perhaps a bit more vehemently, but still well within the realm of politeness, considering the treatment my first request received.

"Dale does enough for us" may well be true, but creating a forum is the matter of a couple of seconds if this BBS software is of any level of sophistication at all. I didn't think I was requesting any monumental task of him.

Further, it would have been polite, and would have saved a good deal of jerking around, had Dale had the courtesy to simply come online and say "Nope". He is, after all, the owner of the board, and by now should know that I don't argue with his decisions. "Implied no" doesn't cut it. Moot point now, anyway. It's dropped.

I do intend to continue the "Whistle Tech Talk..." threads, as the spirit arises, because some of us do seem to enjoy them and have fun together, which is certainly more desirable than the sniping and bad feelings I've gotten from other areas. I guess I'll just have to hope that the flute and pipe folks will hear about them and jump in with their tech stuff, too, or take up the mantle on their own fora.

Those of you with the stick up your butt over this can now remove it, unknot your knickers (or un-bunch your panties, as the case may be), and rest easy. Your positions as All Powerful Alpha Male/Female of C&F Poststructural are no longer threatened. In actuality, they never were, but you were evidently too dense to figure out that a vote in favor of the new forum was a vote to get rid of me on this one. Enjoy the consequences of your lack of comprehension...
See ya around :grin:
Bill Whedon
The sole intent of this thread is to collect votes, pro or con, in "petition" to Dale to either create, or not create, a new forum for Celtic Wind Instrument Engineering. This forum would include whistles, flutes, and pipes, and would be dedicated primarily to technical discussion about any and all.

If you think something like this would be a Good Thing, please vote "yes".

If you think it's a lame idea from somebody who's just trying to leech off the board, or any other reason you don't like it, please vote "no".

I would very much appreciate it if participants would avoid lobbying in either direction. "yes" or "no" will do fine.

Thanks for caring, either way.
Bill Whedon
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: serpent on 2002-10-27 21:59 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: serpent on 2002-10-27 22:17 ]</font>
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

No.

To quote you from another thread:
Up to #5 on Whistle Tech Talk, and I didn't start all of 'em. Anybody else think we need a forum for it?
You've started 80% (4 out of 5) of them.

(Shrug) I find the occaisonal 'tech talk' about making whistles of interest in an academic sense.

I, for one, am growing a bit weary of the posts you make to push those threads back up that essentially say "lookee lookee, ain't this an important subject? Lets make a forum! Let's make dale reorder them! If he had a new forum he wouldn't need to reorder them!" Once they've gotten to that stage, they've begun losing any of their already marginal value. I personally get annoyed with folks that have 'squeaky wheel syndrome'.

Personally, I find "tech talk" about playing technique much more interesting than "tech talk" about making instruments.

Lots of things discussed on this board are of value. If we had a forum for each topic that people found of value, we'd have splintered into a couple-dozen little side boards. Eventually all things roll back off the first page. If people have trouble using the search page, there are lots of other resources to aid you, such as the Chiffboard Matrix website that keeps track of 'high interest' threads.

I know you asked that folks not 'lobby' in here, and you only wanted a simple yes-or-no answer. I hope you didn't mind terribly that I didn't care to follow that particular directive since I haven't chimed in on this subject before. :wink:
MikeClem

Post by MikeClem »

I think I'd rather see the engineering discussions stay here. Since I don't make whistles, I probably wouldn't go to the trouble to keep up with an additional forum, but I do like to drop in on technical discussions now and then. This forum is about all things whistle-related, which certainly includes engineering. I think your 'Whistle Tech Talk' series is a great way to have technical discussions.

... but that's just me

Mike
This is a whistle. The kid said "weird" and rode away. - KiT
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Bill,although I started one and a quarter of the tech/tweek threads and have enjoyed your threads immensely, I do feel it would be prudent to back off a little and take a back seat for awhile on this matter. Mike
serpent

Post by serpent »

Well, that's what democracy is all about. I didn't ask everyone to agree, and I did ask everyone for no commentary. I got (so far) nobody agreeing, and everyone commenting! So, here's my vote - YES - and you've already seen my comment. :grin:
That's all for me on this thread until Monday evening.

To those who haven't responded:

PLEASE JUST VOTE. PLEASE DON'T TALK, OR LOBBY IN FAVOR OR NOT IN FAVOR. PLEASE RESPECT AT LEAST THIS ONE REQUEST.
Thanks,
Bill Whedon
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

no
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

no!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

First off Bill, you don't get to tell people what to do around here: "Just answer yes or no!"

Second, it's incredibly rude and bad etiquette and netiquette to do so.

Third, you're acting like an inconsiderate child who just keeps screaming that he wants something, regardless of the fact that those around you are also trying to have a conversation. "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimmie! Gimmie! Gimme!!!!"

I've never said this to anyone here before (believe it or not) but why don't you just shut up about this thing? Dale has obviously gotten the message, and in the mean time you're mercilessly pushing other meaningful threads right off the page in an effort to get your selfish little way. Have some consideration for others here and leave it alone. Have some consideration for Dale and take a freakin' hint.

Oh yeah, I vote no on having a new board, if only because giving you one now would reward your bad behavior.

Loren

(Edited to remove inflammatory language....if not content)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2002-10-27 18:31 ]</font>
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Under these circumstances, I must vote No.

However, if you were to create the forum you want on your server, I will gladly come check it out. It just doesn't feel right to hastle someone who already does so much for free!

Sandy
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

No.

I like what's been happening: heading the thread title with "tech talk" or something to let people who aren't interested give the thread a bye. Checking the whistle, flute, and ITM forums is enough for me.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

No.
Keep up Tech Talk threads. If they're all called Tech Talk, they'll be super easy to search for.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

No
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

vote?

I don't read the tech talk anyway.

Mack
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

No, because...
Jef
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

NO. Are you sure you would'nt like 5 forums, one for each "Tech Talk" ?