First whistle a low one?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I don't play flute, but I believe it's generally harder to play, and more expensive. So, a high whistle is probably more accessible.

Jason
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

If it were me, I'd go about learning on a soprano whistle. D is a great choice, because most music (Irish trad) you'll hear will be played in that key, and so to be able to play along with that, can really be an advantage to learning.

If it's a comparison between initially learning on a low D vs a soprano D, I can't see how learning on the low D would be easier. But I guess stranger things in life have been done...

If it's shrillness you're worried about, you can't be a Generation Bb in brass.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Yes, it's true. The key of D is important in ITM. But, it does not follow that if one states that he wants to learn on a low D whistle that he should first learn on a high D whistle.

If one starts to learn whistle on a high D, then one's fingers learn on a high D, and one's muscle memory is programmed on a high D. Then, when one finally starts to transition to a low D, the muscle memoery has to be re-programmed to the low D.

What does this mean? Well, if you start on the high D, you will most likely use your finger tips to stop the tone holes. Oh, then there is the matter of hole spacing. The low D is a different in many ways; length, girth, hole spacing, hole size, weight, breath requirement; it does have in common the hole number. Learning on a high D does very little in preparing one to play a low D. How, may I ask, does it prepare one for the dreaded piper's grip and the fear of sore fingers?

You might as well say; "before you take up a low D whistle, you should first play a tuba in a polka band for a year". :D :-?
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Steamwalker wrote:Just out of curiousity... Sometimes, when listening to a recording, I cannot discern the difference between a low whistle and an irish flute. Wouldn't someone who is a fan of the low whistle be more drawn towards the flute than a high whistle?
At the risk of veering this thread off to the dreaded low whistle vs. flute argument, I'll try to tackle this one. It can be difficult at first to tell the difference between a flute and a low D on a recording, especially if said recording has allot of effects like reverb added. The more you listen, the easier it will become for your ear to discern the difference. An added difficulty is that there are some low whistles that sound very "flutey", ie. Copeland. The best way to train your ear is to hear the two instruments side by side live. It becomes even easier if you play one or both instruments yourself. (I'm sure a flute player would scoff at the notion of mistaking a low whistle for a flute :P )
Finally, I do not think it is safe to make a blanket statement that a low whistler would necessarily prefer flute to a high whistle. I like the flute, but I was specifically drawn to the low whistle for it's own unique properties and sound, not because I thought it sounded like a flute.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Key_of_D wrote:If it's shrillness you're worried about, you can't be a Generation Bb in brass.
Let's imagine you are low on cash, don't like the "shrillness" of a soprano D, want something that sounds great, and something that's not a big leap when you decide to go for a low or high whistle. This suggestion for a Bb is not a bad idea.

Get a Freeman Tweaked Bb Generation. Don't fret, you'll be buying a another whistle soon enough anyway - perhaps low, perhaps high - once bitten by the bug.

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

CranberryDog wrote:Yes, it's true. The key of D is important in ITM. But, it does not follow that if one states that he wants to learn on a low D whistle that he should first learn on a high D whistle.
Yes it does... Re-read what I wrote about the ease factor. If you don't understand I will explain.

CranberryDog wrote:If one starts to learn whistle on a high D, then one's fingers learn on a high D, and one's muscle memory is programmed on a high D. Then, when one finally starts to transition to a low D, the muscle memoery has to be re-programmed to the low D.
Not entirely true. The fingers should move as a whole. Just because you play with your pads on the Soprano, does not mean that the rest of your finger does not move, and that's what should be noted here. Why? Because the fingering for a whistle, is the same for any whistle. Lets not get techincal with Sindt's thumb hole for C nat, or the silkstone D plus pinky hole for bottom C... :lol: When I do a roll on G with a Generation D, I'm going to use the same fingers to do a roll on G with a Chieftain low D, or G, or F, etc. etc... Not to confuse any further by when I said same fingering, I mean I could play Kid on the Mountain on a Soprano D, and use the very exact same fingering and play it on a low D. Only difference? It comes out an octave lower. The other difference is that I will use the "piper's grip" on the low D.
CranberryDog wrote:What does this mean? Well, if you start on the high D, you will most likely use your finger tips to stop the tone holes. Oh, then there is the matter of hole spacing. The low D is a different in many ways; length, girth, hole spacing, hole size, weight, breath requirement; it does have in common the hole number. Learning on a high D does very little in preparing one to play a low D. How, may I ask, does it prepare one for the dreaded piper's grip and the fear of sore fingers?
Simple, as I explained above. I'll explain again. Learning on the Soprano whistle has to be easier from the get go. Less breath requirements, (for the most part, my Clarke Original C whistle takes far more air to play then my Chieftain low D I once owned) and a far less tone hole spacing, which makes Learning far more comfortable. Note the key word there... and that is learning. With that comes everything you should learn on the soprano D, or at the least, Could learn. Cuts, taps, long rolls, short rolls, slides, tonging, cranns etc. Then there's of course learning to properly blow the whistle, and finally altgother now playing music with everything aformentioned. With that said, I don't see how intinially learning the whistle, on a low D whistle, is going to be easier, then if one started on a soprano whistle. Even a Bb, or A is much easier to cope with then a low D. So I would think that learning on a Soprano D obviously does a lot more then you're aware of when you feel time to move to a low D. I know, because this is how I did things. Now again as I said, stranger things in life have been done. So if you can swing learning the Irish tin whistle on a low D, and if you feel it's much easier then learning whistle on a high D, all the more power to you.
CranberryDog wrote:You might as well say; "before you take up a low D whistle, you should first play a tuba in a polka band for a year". :D :-?
I'm going to turn the other cheek on that remark...
Last edited by Key_of_D on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I think if someone wants to start on a low D they should try it. Why not?

The only reason I didn't was because I've got a flute coming.

By the way, I read the flute vs. low D whistle thread and it was very interesting. I really don't think playing a flute is as hard as some of you say. I played one long ago and didn't find it that hard. Maybe wooden ones are harder than silver ones, I don't know. Maybe it's the Irish music that's so hard. I blew a sweet note out of a quena on the first try. Maybe I'm lucky. We'll see.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

sbhikes wrote:I think if someone wants to start on a low D they should try it. Why not?
Well why not, I'm not saying you can't or that it isn't allowed... I'm just saying it has to be easier for the learner, to start off on something smaller.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Key_of_D wrote:
sbhikes wrote:I think if someone wants to start on a low D they should try it. Why not?
Well why not, I'm not saying you can't or that it isn't allowed... I'm just saying it has to be easier for the learner, to start off on something smaller.
Where's the fun in that? :lol:

I like a good challenge.

A fiddle is an unreasonable challenge :moreevil: . A low whistle is a good challenge. :twisted:
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Everybody who is really "taken" by the whistle finds their own way. When I started, I got a high D whistle, and a low F whistle. I thought it'd be easier to learn on the small one...but I really loved the sound of the bigger. Well...it wasn't long before I learned that high whistles didn't DO IT for me....OUCH! (On the ears!) But at that time I was trying to use fingertips on the Low F...OUCH! (On the hands and wrists!)
Then, some kind soul showed me the piper's grip. SWEET!!!
I now play Low D, Eb, E, and F.
So, yes, one can learn on a low whistle. I essentially learned on that low F. And am happy for it! (Medium-sized hands)
So, it might take a few whistles and a few years....but move forward and enjoy the ride!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Key_of_D wrote:
CranberryDog wrote:Yes, it's true. The key of D is important in ITM. But, it does not follow that if one states that he wants to learn on a low D whistle that he should first learn on a high D whistle.
Yes it does... Re-read what I wrote about the ease factor. If you don't understand I will explain.

CranberryDog wrote:If one starts to learn whistle on a high D, then one's fingers learn on a high D, and one's muscle memory is programmed on a high D. Then, when one finally starts to transition to a low D, the muscle memoery has to be re-programmed to the low D.
Not entirely true. The fingers should move as a whole. Just because you play with your pads on the Soprano, does not mean that the rest of your finger does not move, and that's what should be noted here. Why? Because the fingering for a whistle, is the same for any whistle. Lets not get techincal with Sindt's thumb hole for C nat, or the silkstone D plus pinky hole for bottom C... :lol: When I do a roll on G with a Generation D, I'm going to use the same fingers to do a roll on G with a Chieftain low D, or G, or F, etc. etc... Not to confuse any further by when I said same fingering, I mean I could play Kid on the Mountain on a Soprano D, and use the very exact same fingering and play it on a low D. Only difference? It comes out an octave lower. The other difference is that I will use the "piper's grip" on the low D.
CranberryDog wrote:What does this mean? Well, if you start on the high D, you will most likely use your finger tips to stop the tone holes. Oh, then there is the matter of hole spacing. The low D is a different in many ways; length, girth, hole spacing, hole size, weight, breath requirement; it does have in common the hole number. Learning on a high D does very little in preparing one to play a low D. How, may I ask, does it prepare one for the dreaded piper's grip and the fear of sore fingers?
Simple, as I explained above. I'll explain again. Learning on the Soprano whistle has to be easier from the get go. Less breath requirements, (for the most part, my Clarke Original C whistle takes far more air to play then my Chieftain low D I once owned) and a far less tone hole spacing, which makes Learning far more comfortable. Note the key word there... and that is learning. With that comes everything you should learn on the soprano D, or at the least, Could learn. Cuts, taps, long rolls, short rolls, slides, tonging, cranns etc. Then there's of course learning to properly blow the whistle, and finally altgother now playing music with everything aformentioned. With that said, I don't see how intinially learning the whistle, on a low D whistle, is going to be easier, then if one started on a soprano whistle. Even a Bb, or A is much easier to cope with then a low D. So I would think that learning on a Soprano D obviously does a lot more then you're aware of when you feel time to move to a low D. I know, because this is how I did things. Now again as I said, stranger things in life have been done. So if you can swing learning the Irish tin whistle on a low D, and if you feel it's much easier then learning whistle on a high D, all the more power to you.
CranberryDog wrote:You might as well say; "before you take up a low D whistle, you should first play a tuba in a polka band for a year". :D :-?
I'm going to turn the other cheek on that remark...
And your last remark means...?
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

A-Musing wrote:Everybody who is really "taken" by the whistle finds their own way.
Which is why I said if you can swing it, more power to you. Doesn't really matter which whistle you learn on. Everyone's different, and in no way was I suggesting everyone learn tin whistle the way I suggested. I'm just for the arguement that learning on a soprano whistle has to be easier then learning on the low D. That is all folks.
CranberryDog wrote:And your last remark means...?
My last remark means exactly what I wrote and nothing more. :)
talasiga

Re: First whistle a low one?

Post by talasiga »

Abe wrote:I'd like to learn to play the tin whistle but I find the higher pitched whistles to be too shrill for my taste. Has anybody here ever started on a low whistle? I understand they slightly more difficult to play but I think they fit more of what I'm looking for. Is this a foolish step?
Only a fool would play an instrument he didn't like.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit