Favorite Michael Caine flicks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Favorite Michael Caine flicks

Post by Tyler »

Thought there was enough Michael Caine fandom here on C&F to warrant a seperate thread from the Remake thread.

My favs include some of his later works:
Second Hand Lions
A Muppet Christmas Carol
Batman Begins
LOVED him as Alfred
Goldmember
thought he was fantastic as Austin's Dad
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I really liked his characters in Cider House Rules, Mr. Destiny and Children of Men.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

One of my alltime favorite movies features Sean Connery and Michael Caine: The Man Who Would Be King.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jkwest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Hands down.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Sleuth (1972) and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

There seems to be a Kenneth Brannagh remake of Sleuth in the works wtih Caine as Andrew Wyke, which is interesting.
/Bloomfield
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My personal fave is the first movie I ever saw him in: The Ipcress File. It's kind of dated with the brainwashing chamber and all, but last time I saw it, probably 10 years ago, it still had me on the edge of my seat.

I think this thread calls attention to his versatility: people have said their favorite movies of his are anything from straight drama to action to comedy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Darn, I was going to say "The Man Who Would be King" but Paul beat me to it.

I enjoyed him in <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0147004/">Little Voice</a>, <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0083806/">Deathtrap</a>, <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0061204/">The Wrong Box</a> and the Harry Palmer films.

I also like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orTZZAuOzo">Michael Caine in Space</a>. :-)
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Michael Caine is one of those actors that I always enjoy in whatever he's in.
Such as.....

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Goldmember-It was a stroke of genius in casting him as Austin's Dad

but my all time favorite of his,wouldn't have been funny with anyone else playing his character, and one that I can watch over and over and still hee haw-

Blame it on Rio

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brianc

Post by brianc »

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Cider House Rules
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

A Shock to the System
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

He is the only reason to watch Miss Congeniality.

Just saw Children of Men and he's wonderful in it.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Incidently he made a video on acting and Letterman showed part of it once for fun. I would imagine it's valuable to anyone wanting to act, but the part about not blinking, taken out of context, was pretty funny.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

It's tough to beat "The Man Who Would Be King." "Zulu" was also a great movie, based on a historical account of a British Regiment in the 1800's.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I like him in any of his films.
I agree that Zulu is a great film depicting the battle at Rourke's Drift in 1879. Though the production quality is poor the historical elements are very accurate. The "Zulu War" is one of my favorite historical subjects. Naturally, the film only shows the British side of the coin and I would strongly recommend the book, "The Washing of the Spears" for a brilliant examination of both sides.

While it doesn't star Caine, Zulu Dawn is a very good film depicting the savage battle of Islandwana the day before the events at Rourke's Drift.
Peter O'Toole plays Lord Chelmsford. He doesn't look anything like the real guy.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

beowulf573 wrote: I also like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orTZZAuOzo">Michael Caine in Space</a>. :-)
That's been long one of my favorite youtube clips. Brilliant.
/Bloomfield