10 key Boosey Pratten's Perfected

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

10 key Boosey Pratten's Perfected

Post by rh »

with extra headjoint by Patrick Olwell, at auction

NFI
there is no end to the walking
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

That's a lot of money, but at least it's perfected. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

that seems like a reasonable starting bid to me
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Very nice! I have to RS Prattens in my shop right now, they are nice playing flutes. I like the keywork on yours, that is unusual. I like the design of the key cups, they kind of have a Monzani look about them.
Good luck with the sale.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
rh

Post by rh »

It's not mine, unfortunately. Just pointing it out to interested parties. (NFI means "no financial interest")
there is no end to the walking
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

No doubt it's a great flute and all, but with a starting bid of 3k$ and a reserve that's not yet met by that, I'm 100% sure it's well outside my means.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

That is a magnificent specimen! I know the other one referred to in the eBay listing, which I have had in my workshop to measure.

Assuming the lotto ticket I bought the other day is the only winning one (I'll find out tonight at 7 PM), I will soon have this one to play with!

Casey
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

No no it's mine! As a beginner I do believe THAT is the right flute for me! :lol:
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Denny

Post by Denny »

got another eight days,
if not this weeks lotto... :wink:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've played this flute and it's nice.
The keywork is known as "Hudson keys" because its the style of John Hudson, the original siccama manufacturer who started this style on those flutes.

The key cup screws upward into the shank (or outward as the case may be). Easy to repad. But tweeky if the cups move from overuse, affecting the seal. I have two flutes like this (a very early Siccama and a Wilkes copied from a Boosey/Pratten)

Undoubtedly this flute was likely made by John Hudson himself. It was his work to do the double-touch for the thumb (a C and Bb element). He actually was doing this before his flutes (and himself) went to Boosey as there is at least one Pratten/Hudson (from Siccama) out there with this key structure.

dm
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Keys

Post by Rob Sharer »

Is anyone using that key setup today? Makers or players? It seems so sensible, and looks so elegant. I would be concerned about the extra C touch interfering with the thumb of anyone using one of the alternate LH holds, but maybe it's not really in the way.

I'm for anything that puts more RH Bb touches in the world!

Rob
sturob

Post by sturob »

David Migoya wrote:Undoubtedly this flute was likely made by John Hudson himself.
My hat is off to you, David. That is perhaps the most eloquent equivocation I have read on C&F.

Have you recently taken a course in diplomacy?

:D

Stuart
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Don't try it at home, Stu.

I'm a professional.

:)
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Newbie question here:

The seller describes the extra bore-polishing that indicates this flute received special attention during its creation. Yet, a reknowned PVC flutemaker among us has had success in getting increased volume using a textured ("speckled-bore") design. (Still love my Tipple!)

I know these are entirely different animals --- conical vs cylindrical, etc.... Still, what's the dumbed-down skinny on bores?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde