Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dessinchat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dessinchat »

I have only been playing for 2 years so I hope you will be indulgent ... :) I have heard so beautiful and well played tune on this post ... I don't take part very often to the forum because my englis is a little too poor but I often read and I think that you are so helpful when someone asks a question !!
So, I will at least make my little and humble contribution and post what I have played with my all new Folk Flute :)
Flatbush Waltz

Nicole
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Lovely tune and well played :), Nicole!
If you have an abc version of it, would you please send it to me?
Thanks!

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/3809:
Flatbush Waltz written by the wonderful mandolinist Andy Statman, released on an album in 1980. It's a waltz in the Klezmer tradition.

The abc version there is not like you play it.

~Hans
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

re Roma the morning Thrush

Beautiful!!!

This is a reel I love, but haven't got round to learning properly it yet. It was composed by Seamus Ennis' farther of course.

Very Molloyish.

Great stuff.
rh

Post by rh »

ImNotIrish wrote:New file posted. Comments welcome. These tunes are played on an original R&R with an Olwell hj.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/pycqjs6q2n
well done. fabulous tone you have.
there is no end to the walking
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

rh,
thanks for the kind words. Just went back nd listened to your clips. Lovely playing. I especially love the way you ornaments seem to pop out, crisp and clean. Post some more!
Arbo
rh

Post by rh »

thanks arbo. i'm still trying to get my lip back in shape. can you describe your embouchure? do you do the tight-smiley thing or more rounded? do you turn the hj in?
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I suppose I have my lips pursed, tucked in at the ends, but not overly tight. I cover a substantial amount of the hole when I play, almost not visable if you were to look from in front of me. I do have the hj rolled in somewhat, but I believe the far edge of the tone hole is still lined up with the finger holes (if you can understand this description). I generally blow hard, but I am trying to rework this so that I am blowing easier, and more consistently even.

Arbo
rh

Post by rh »

ImNotIrish wrote:I suppose I have my lips pursed, tucked in at the ends, but not overly tight. I cover a substantial amount of the hole when I play, almost not visable if you were to look from in front of me. I do have the hj rolled in somewhat, but I believe the far edge of the tone hole is still lined up with the finger holes (if you can understand this description). I generally blow hard, but I am trying to rework this so that I am blowing easier, and more consistently even.

Arbo
thanks. so if the embouchure hole is substantially covered, do you think about blowing more down into the hole rather than across it?
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well, I've finally worked up the nerve to post something I recorded.
This is a tune that I started trying to write back about seven years ago and I've never quite finished it. Any constructive criticism is welcome, as are suggestions for fleshing it out.

http://www.box.net/shared/de94hsdqny

I also recorded myself playing Se Fáth Mo Bhuartha.
http://www.box.net/shared/082h5ub0yg
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

hans wrote:Lovely tune and well played :), Nicole!
If you have an abc version of it, would you please send it to me?
Thanks!

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/3809:
Flatbush Waltz written by the wonderful mandolinist Andy Statman, released on an album in 1980. It's a waltz in the Klezmer tradition.

The abc version there is not like you play it.

~Hans
Thanks Hans for your kind comment ! I don't have the ABC version that I play because I learned it by listening an audiofile that a friend sent to me. I even don't know who is playing but I found that it was a nice version ;)If you want, I can send you this audio file ;)
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

I like that this has become more focused on sharing tunes, as opposed to an online flute resume. Here's a one step and a reel.
http://www.box.net/shared/y5t8dbhyrx

I don't know if the one step is well known elsewhere, but it's a great tune, and not that played that often around here. The reel is pretty common and was just what I ended up playing after it.

Thanks,
Brendan
Last edited by BrendanB on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey587

Re: High praise

Post by monkey587 »

cocusflute wrote:William (monkey) - lovely playing - great phrasing, good tone, great breath control. Lovely relaxed tempo, crisp ornaments and fine playing overall. How long have you been playing?
A perfect example of a tempo slow enough so that everything falls into place with enough lift to make it compelling.
I was inspired to post a reel. This is getting to be fun.
Thanks for the comments. I have been playing flute since January 2005.
William Bajzek
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Whoa, Cocus!!!!

Paddy Fahey's in Bb!
That'll twist my fingers! Are you using keys or crossfingering there?

Nice!

M
cocusflute

Fahey tunes

Post by cocusflute »

Thanks Mary, you're a sweetheart. The darling of Chi Phi.
I'm playing a 6-key with the ordinary LH Bb thumb touch.
It's the first in the jig medley on track 9 from the Kane sisters Well Tempered Bow.
There are so many wonderful tunes out there that need keys that I can't imagine why there is any debate about their usefulness. My advice is to start right out using them. It's like learning to play the fiddle- the sooner you learn to go into position up the neck the less mysterious it becomes.
Sure, you can avoid playing them. You can transpose the tunes. But there's nothing like playing the tunes in these mournful keys. Being able to play them with a fiddler is an added bonus.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Whistlin'Dixie

Re: Fahey tunes

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

cocusflute wrote:
I'm playing a 6-key with the ordinary LH Bb thumb touch.

There are so many wonderful tunes out there that need keys that I can't imagine why there is any debate about their usefulness. My advice is to start right out using them.
Sure, it's slow going though, emphasis on SLOW 8)

I've bookmarked this tune to learn, it's a keeper! Thanks

M