Brand New and Need Help Please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Stormbringer76
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brand New and Need Help Please

Post by Stormbringer76 »

Good Afternoon all;

My name is Jason and I just bought my first Whistle. Now what? I have seen loads of stuff on the internet but really don't know where to start. The reason I would like to learn how to play is i found out a few year ago I'm adopted and my family is from Newfoundland. Being that they are from 'the rock' most of they can play a tune or two. Myself can't play anything. I've been to countly kitchen parties with the music being played and would love to join in. So I bought a tin whistle so I can join in the fun. Please anyone help me please.

Thanks Jason
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

There are many great tutorials out there, both in book/CD form, and on the web.

But the very first thing to do is to get to know your whistle. Starting with all holes covered, try to find a simple scale,(do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do). You should be able to find this in two octaves.

Next, try to pick out simple tunes, such as "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". You'll be surprised how quickly you're making music!

Best of Luck!!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Stormbringer76

Post by Stormbringer76 »

Thanks for the info, I seen a small book with songs like 'twinkle twinkle' brings back memories of my evil music teacher in grade 6 but I guess I should of listened because I'm trying to play it now.

Jason
Belgian_Waffle

Ryan Dunns on whistle.this

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

For absolute starters on the internet, try the tutorial video's by Ryan Dunns (both on www.whistle.this and www.youtube.com). Excellent stuff !
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

let us know how it goes. can you make that gawd awful squawk yet? do animals leave the room when you pick up the whistle?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Stormbringer76

Post by Stormbringer76 »

I have a dog and he runs around when I started today. And I started with 'Hot Cross Buns'
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I second the motion for Ryan's tutorials. You can find them on the left side of the Whistle This! web site. Just go through them in order one at a time. You don't have to do them all at once. I spent a week or so and I never got past the one on rolls. I peeked at them, but I can't quite play that fast, but I got a really good start from the first ones. Some day I will go back to his tutorials, starting with Rolls and work up to the ones I can't do yet.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Stormbringer76

Post by Stormbringer76 »

Mary had a little Lamb......done. Now does anyone know the music for Dawning of the Day from Ryan Dunns, i seem I can't find it.

Jason
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i would go to ebay and get the waltons or feadog cd/bookelt pack that comes with a whistle already, you cant go wrong with those whistles or their instructions for beginners.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Jason, are you still living on 'the rock', or is that just your spiritual home? I'm sure there are people who can teach whistle in St John's and Carbonear; probably plenty of potential teachers spread all over the island.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I'll give another thumbs up for Ryan Dunn's videos. He's the one that taught me to play. (But I got stuck on the rolls too....) Bro. Steve's page is also really good.
azw

Re: Ryan Dunns on whistle.this

Post by azw »

Belgian_Waffle wrote:For absolute starters on the internet, try the tutorial video's by Ryan Dunns (both on www.whistle.this and www.youtube.com). Excellent stuff !
Thanks for the links! Just a minor tweak: the link for Whistle This is: www.whistlethis.com
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

Dawning of the day : http://homepage.eircom.net/~kilbrittain ... theday.jpg

Sorry 'bout the typo in the whistlethis urll
Stormbringer76

Post by Stormbringer76 »

Well its day four, had the weekend to pratice and well its going alright. Thanks for the 'Dawning of the Day' post I'd rather try that than play 'Twinkle Twinkle' anymore. Yes I know I have to do the basics but its good to have a song that I learned when I was 5. Keep sending me tips they really help.

Jason
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I've been using a fiddle tune book for learning. Same Irish music in the same key you'd want it played in. Just the instructions about fingering, bowing and mechanics aren't all the relevant. For the mechanics of ornaments, I use Ryan's tutorials. For the rhythm I used the CD from the fiddle book and slow it way down.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute