Ranking and Filing Noobs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

I would like to see a newbie ranking system developed

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 pm

yes
13%
no
76%
I am a moderator or a personal friend of one
11%

Total votes: 38

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Question: don't our joining dates rank us already for noobosity?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Nanohedron wrote:Question: don't our joining dates rank us already for noobosity?
not on the whole, that is a good assumption, but i wasnt a beginner when i joined, i just thought it would be cool to finally join and be part of the community, i have never met any other whistlers before until recently. but just because you are new, doesnt mean that you are a noob. unless you mean noob to this site.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Whistle Collector wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Question: don't our joining dates rank us already for noobosity?
not on the whole, that is a good assumption, but i wasnt a beginner when i joined, i just thought it would be cool to finally join and be part of the community, i have never met any other whistlers before until recently. but just because you are new, doesnt mean that you are a noob. unless you mean noob to this site.
Oh. Somehow I missed the whistle part. I think I just looked at the thread title and poll options and left it at that. My bad.

This looks like a futile ploy on Talasiga's part to appear original, then. It's no different than ranking experts - really - and that subject's already on the table. Hmph.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Easy enough to rank my abilities.

Whistle - abysmally bad

Flute - what abilities?

Pipes - good at collecting chanters :lol: , minging at playing them :cry: .

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Nanohedron wrote:
Oh. Somehow I missed the whistle part. I think I just looked at the thread title and poll options and left it at that. My bad.

This looks like a futile ploy on Talasiga's part to appear original, then. It's no different than ranking experts - really - and that subject's already on the table. Hmph.
:lol: :lol: i miss the parts too sometimes, and people look at my comments and probably think "what is that guy drinking?". but yea, Tal pretty much making the same suggestion as Doc, except he wants everyone to have a rank instead of just guru or mentor. i have a reptile forum i go to, and you are ranked on how many posts you have, like hatchling or juvenile or adult etc..... i think that it would just cause more people to post more useless posts just to get out of the "noob" title.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
rh

Post by rh »

The Whistle Collector wrote:i have a reptile forum i go to, and you are ranked on how many posts you have, like hatchling or juvenile or adult etc..... i think that it would just cause more people to post more useless posts just to get out of the "noob" title.
what was that thing gonzo came up with a couple of years ago... the NIMROD score or something like that?
there is no end to the walking
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Nanohedron wrote:......
If you were to sharpen your eyesight as much as your tongue you may have noticed my first post which provides a link to the rank expert topic including a quote from that topic. This topic clearly springs from that one and that is patent from my initiating post so I cannot see the justification of your usage of "ploy".

That topic turns on experts and this one on newbies. Two sides of the same coin.

No one in their right mind would say that the side of the coin they saw first is more original than the side they saw second. I speculate of course ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:
Oh. Somehow I missed the whistle part. I think I just looked at the thread title and poll options and left it at that. My bad......
You mean you thought the question was if new people should be ranked according to how long they had been members? :lol: :lol: Yes, I guess the join date would be just as good an indicator as any and it would rank all of us. So consider ourselves ranked and that's it.

Or, we could have everyone take that personality test---what was it, you ended up with four letters like JTKD. That could warn you how to deal with someone.
gonzo914 wrote:
Dale wrote:Right now Member status comes at 50 posts. I'm just experimenting a bit with the possibilities of using this. So, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Dale
I think you should set it so it calculates the ratio between your posts in the Pub/Controversy forums and your posts in the other forums that actually have something to do with whistles or pipes or Irish music or something related to either a chiff or a fipple. For those who care, that would be --

P = Posts in Pub
C = Posts in Controversial forum
T = Total Posts
X = Non-Irish Music Related, Off-topic Discussion coefficient (your NIMROD rating).

Then X = (P + C)/T

Then assign labels based on the NIMROD rating, which can never exceed 1.
  • NIMROD of 0 to .1 >>>>>>> IRTRAD Obsessed
    NIMROD of .1 to .25 >>>>>> Serious Musician
    NIMROD of .25 to .75 >>>>> Average Joe Whistler
    NIMROD of .75 to .9 >>>>>> Babbler
    NIMROD of .9 to 1>>>>>>> Out and Out Waste of Bandwidth
For example, at the time of this writing, I had 1050 total posts, with 226 in the controversial forum and 558 in the pub. Therefore, my NIMROD rating is (558 + 228)/1050 = 0.748571428571429, placing me just shy of Babbler.

Post your own NIMROD here.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... od&start=0
Boy, I didn't remember this at all. I don't see how you can easily find how many posts you've made in particular areas. I didn't have time right now to read the thread though, and I'm sure people had questions so someone might have explained it there. It looks like a funny thread.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

gonzo put a lot of though in that, very good. i like that idea. :lol:
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I was thinking of getting a new username with a new post count and post, "Hey, I just got my first feadog. How long is Pat O'Riordan's waiting list? Should I buy a Copeland or a Generation? What's a jig anyhow? I just posted a reel at session speed. Couldn't figure out where to breathe, so I did the whole tune on one breath. Constructive feedback welcomed"

Just kidding, no offense to any nOObs out there. If any old-timers are put off, that's cool. :twisted:
Tony
(What can I say? I'm on vacation, sitting here with a Dos Equis. Just finished watching a really weird vampire move, The Hunger. Then I went outside and got bit by mosquitoes. Is that ironic?)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

The Whistle Collector wrote:gonzo put a lot of though in that, very good. i like that idea. :lol:
You should be very wary of anything that gonzo put a lot of thought into.

But I do kind of like the idea of requiring a Myers-Briggs test of all members. Dale could create a sticky thread where everyone could post the results, and we could determine whether we really do have a higher percentage of those artsy SJs than the general population.

By the by, the NIMROD score has to be modified because of the eliminationof the Polititocosonol forum. It is now as follows --

P = Posts in Pub
T = Total Posts
X = Non-Irish Music Related, Off-topic Discussion coefficient (your NIMROD rating).

Then X = P/T

Assign labels based on the NIMROD rating, which can never exceed 1.

NIMROD of 0 to .1 >>>>>>> IRTRAD Obsessed
NIMROD of .1 to .25 >>>>>> Serious Musician
NIMROD of .25 to .75 >>>>> Average Joe Whistler
NIMROD of .75 to .9 >>>>>> Babbler
NIMROD of .9 to 1>>>>>>> Out and Out Waste of Bandwidth

Mine is currently .659172.

gonzo -- ENTP, same as Lord Peter Wimsey, Wile E. Coyote, Q., Bugs Bunny, Mercutio, and General J.E.B. Stuart -- 914
Last edited by gonzo914 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

:x 0.58 ...don't play no whistle :twisted:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Denny wrote::x 0.58 ...don't play no whistle :twisted:
Nor do I.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

TonyHiggins wrote:I was thinking of getting a new username with a new post count and post, "Hey, I just got my first feadog. How long is Pat O'Riordan's waiting list? Should I buy a Copeland or a Generation? What's a jig anyhow? I just posted a reel at session speed. Couldn't figure out where to breathe, so I did the whole tune on one breath. Constructive feedback welcomed"

Just kidding, no offense to any nOObs out there. If any old-timers are put off, that's cool. :twisted:
Tony
(What can I say? I'm on vacation, sitting here with a Dos Equis. Just finished watching a really weird vampire move, The Hunger. Then I went outside and got bit by mosquitoes. Is that ironic?)
no, but it would have been ironic if a vampire met you outside and said, "Hey, I just got my first feadog. How long is Pat O'Riordan's waiting list? Should I buy a Copeland or a Generation? What's a jig anyhow? I just posted a reel at session speed. Couldn't figure out where to breathe, so I did the whole tune on one breath. Constructive feedback welcomed"
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦