Volume across octaves on Burke question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kober

Volume across octaves on Burke question

Post by kober »

Hi All,

I've been playing the low whistle for 8-9 months on a nontunable Susato low d. I recently purchased a Burke low d Viper (tunable), and I have a question regarding its volume across the octaves, please. I have recorded myself playing the lower and upper d scale first on the Susato, and then on the Burke; the recording is at

http://web.omnidrive.com/APIServer/publ ... _burke.mp3

In the upper octave, I played as softly as I was able while still staying in the higher octave. To my ears (and to Audacity's) the Burke is much louder than the Susato, which surprised me given Susato's reputation for volume (particularly in the higher octave). More importantly, however, is that the Burke had a significantly larger jump in volume between the octaves than the Susato, another surprise given the Burke's reputation.

I would think my being a beginner would not be the cause of this difference between the Susato and the Burke, given that my beginner's skill was applied equally to both, but of course I don't know. I'm hoping some of you might be kind enough to take a listen, please, and let me know 1) if the volume jump is appropriate for a Burke (if my Burke is sounding how Burke's are supposed to sound), and 2) if there is anything I can do with my playing to even out the volume.

Thank you so much!
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Kober, and welcome to Chiff!

First, without even listening to your clip yet (it's downloading now), I can say that breath control is very important when playing low whistles (or any whistle), especially in the second octave. With the right breath control, you can many times play quieter in the top octave, instead of blasting it out, with too much force. The trick is to learn when you are in tune, and when not, and play the way you need to, to be in tune there.

Second, you must be sure your whistle is completely warmed up, and free of moisture (clogging the mouthpiece). Both will affect the tone and tuning.

I have a Susato Low D and like it very much-in fact I think it's the best bargain out there for a nice playing low whistle (mine is a tunable black plastic). It has a good volume in the lower octave, but it still is louder in the upper octave, and has an expressive, and woody tone.

I haven't played a Burke for a while, but my composite was much louder in the upper octave than lower, as most whistles are. I only played a Viper briefly, so I can't comment on it.

Sometimes the perception of volume is not all that accurate, unless you have a way of measuring it. Still waiting for you download!
~~~~
Barry
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

HI,
A jump in volume at the high end isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can lend excitement to the music.
On your recording the Susato seems under-blown to me. The higher notes seem flat. On the Burke they seem to be in tune. I suspect that if you blew the Susato into tune you'd find it at least as loud as the
Burke.
Short bio: 1952-
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, second that, the Susato seems a little flat, and the Burke sounds about right volume wise.

There will always be differences in volume between whistles, even given reputations!
~~~~
Barry
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Barry has it right. Your Viper recording has a bit of a forced, pinched sound in the upper part of the second octave. As you become more experienced, you will find that you can back off a bit on the air velocity, and still play the high notes clean. The volume will decrease a bit at that point. It is all in the breath control...Other than that, your Viper sounds completely normal.
Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Kober

Byll hit on one "key", the velocity of the aircolumn is part of the reason for loudness (E = 0.5mv2 {v = velocity}). The most probable reason for loudness is larger toneholes and voiceing coupled with a slightly larger bore size.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Susatos have a reputation for loudness, but that's mostly the Soprano whistles. I've never found it to be especially true in their low whistles. The Susato low whistles are really not especially loud.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

greenspiderweb has it right: even a Burke won't play itself.

On any whistle, especially the high whistles like the high D, you have to learn to control the sound. On the whistle there is only one parameter you can control: your air. (*)

Whether it's a Burke or a Susato or even a mighty Overton, it won't sound its best until you can learn to control your air.

--James

P.S:

(*) Just because your air is all you can control doesn't mean there's only one way to do that. You have lips. You have a diaghram. You have throat muscles and face muscles and a tongue. You control the angle, the velocity, and the amount of air--and don't make the mistake of thinking that more velocity always means a larger amount and less velocity a smaller amount.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
kober

Post by kober »

Thank you all for taking the time to answer! The responses were all very helpful.